Incompetent admin

sfxer02

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well my EAS was moved from October 30, 2008 to September 29, 2008 because I am selling the ramainder of my leave back and am going to be placed on TDRL.

Since my admin chief got out about 2 months ago, and of course there is no replacement for him yet, so my questions can not be anwsered from the LCpl admin clerk.

Hopefully someone can help me here or point me in the right direction.

1. I previously sold 1.5 days of leave back to the Marine Corp back in 2001. Am I able to sell leave back more than once and up to 60 days total in a career, correct?

2. I am selling my remaining 25 days of leave back and was told since I will be out of the active duty pay system I will be sent a hard check, anyone know how long after I EAS till I get this check?

3. Last question,
How long until I start recieving my TDRL pay after I get out?
I tried to call the DFAS hotline, but as you can imagine I can't get through to save my life...

any and all help is appreciated

1. You can sell leave more than once, and you can sell up to 60 days back. It gets taxed as normal pay, not like an SRB.

2. DFAS is a strange animal, I'm not exactly sure about that one. I imagine you get direct deposit once you're on TDRL, so I don't know why they wouldn't be able to direct deposit everything for you including a check for leave sold back.

The only thing I know about TDRL pay was someone here once said the pay comes in one check instead of broken in biweekly payments like we get now.

Hope all's going well except for how typical PITA paperwork usually is. :)

1. You can sell leave more than once, and you can sell up to 60 days back. It gets taxed as normal pay, not like an SRB.

2. DFAS is a strange animal, I'm not exactly sure about that one. I imagine you get direct deposit once you're on TDRL, so I don't know why they wouldn't be able to direct deposit everything for you including a check for leave sold back.

The only thing I know about TDRL pay was someone here once said the pay comes in one check instead of broken in biweekly payments like we get now.

Hope all's going well except for how typical PITA paperwork usually is. :)

Hey dude,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah everything is going ok. I am just soooooooo ready to be done with my unit. You can only imagine.
1 1/2 more weeks.......:D

How is everything for you?

Ok your admin does not know much about selling leave and getting your last active duty paycheck. So let me give you the idea of it as i do this everyday :D. First off of course you get the leave sold back and it will be direct deposited no hard check unless you have been receiving hard checks up to this point. Your EFT information should be current in fact some finance offices in the Marine Corps will use it anyways for your final payment which will include your leave sold back even if you are on hard check because the address in the system are rarely correct. Providing your admin unit actually sends the paperwork on time, which if you are at a small I&I never happens lol and with the admin chief gone yeah the chances are kind of slim but if they do then you will receive your payment on your discharge date otherwise you will have to wait for them to fix the paperwork and forward it to whatever finance office you deal with if you are on an I&I more than likely it will be MOBCOM which is where i just came from and they are shit hot there. Otherwise if you are on the east coast prolly lejeune west coast prolly pendleton. The turn around time on these this time of year is normally minimal 2-5 working days providing admin submits all your paperwork 11060 & DD214. remember your LSL is taxed at the 25% flat rate as well as whatever state flat rate you have if you are trying to come up with your own computations. What number did they give you for retired pay I might be able to give you a better one as i am a Marine and honestly DFAS as we know it has gone through a lot of changes recently offices moving and such but most of the people are the same and I have made a few friends that might be able to give you the info you need. As far as your TDRL normally start receiving it two months after discharge if you are toward the end of the month if early month you could possibly receive it the following month but more than likel second month out.

Ok your admin does not know much about selling leave and getting your last active duty paycheck. So let me give you the idea of it as i do this everyday :D. First off of course you get the leave sold back and it will be direct deposited no hard check unless you have been receiving hard checks up to this point. Your EFT information should be current in fact some finance offices in the Marine Corps will use it anyways for your final payment which will include your leave sold back even if you are on hard check because the address in the system are rarely correct. Providing your admin unit actually sends the paperwork on time, which if you are at a small I&I never happens lol and with the admin chief gone yeah the chances are kind of slim but if they do then you will receive your payment on your discharge date otherwise you will have to wait for them to fix the paperwork and forward it to whatever finance office you deal with if you are on an I&I more than likely it will be MOBCOM which is where i just came from and they are shit hot there. Otherwise if you are on the east coast prolly lejeune west coast prolly pendleton. The turn around time on these this time of year is normally minimal 2-5 working days providing admin submits all your paperwork 11060 & DD214. remember your LSL is taxed at the 25% flat rate as well as whatever state flat rate you have if you are trying to come up with your own computations. What number did they give you for retired pay I might be able to give you a better one as i am a Marine and honestly DFAS as we know it has gone through a lot of changes recently offices moving and such but most of the people are the same and I have made a few friends that might be able to give you the info you need. As far as your TDRL normally start receiving it two months after discharge if you are toward the end of the month if early month you could possibly receive it the following month but more than likel second month out.

thanks..I just sent you an email with some other questions

I will also post this in the TDRL thread so I get more eyes on my post, since us devil dogs are scarce around here....:D

Well I called my admin today to inquire how I get a new retiree ID card when I am placed on TDRL on the 29th. They told me too just go to the local ANG base and go to the ID section and they should just give me a new ID card because DEERS will already be updated with my retired information when I get discharged. Does this sound right?

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I thought I was suppose to sign my DD214. They told me that district will send my unit a copy of my DD214 and my unit verifies it and sends it back without me even looking at it then it is mailed too me at my home of record. Does that sound correct?
Is this because I am going on TDRL?

What shall I do?

About the Id yes that is correct but I would take a copy of your DD214 in as well. As far as the DD214 the Finance Office needs it to process your claim in your situtation we do not need to make an endorsement but more than likely they will do a once over on it for correctness as well, as far as dates and time in service are concerned. Normally since you are not taking any LWAS and no separations pay because you are over the threshhold and are being retired, I do not understand why they have to do all that. Your DD214 should be done before you discharge. It does not HAVE to be signed and if there is a problem you can send it back without signing it. TDRL or not the DD214 should be ready for you to sign so i am assuming that you are getting out on the 29th? I sent an e-mail response.

For everyone wondering about selling back leave you can sell it back everytime you re-enlist or get out up to a maximum of 60 days the calculation is as follows

Basic Pay divided by 30 times number of days sold to get pre-tax amount.
After that the flat rate for federal is 25% that you deduct and you are done with it if you do not pay state taxes if you do look up the state flat rate and add that to the 25% and subtract that percentage from the pre-tax amount. In my situtation it would look like this if i were selling 20 days.

2047.80/30=68.26*20=1365.20 pretax amount I live in arkansas which is 6% flat rate. so 25% plus 6% is 31% so 100%-31% = 69%

1365.20*0.69=941.99. Hope this helps all who are separating!

About the Id yes that is correct but I would take a copy of your DD214 in as well. As far as the DD214 the Finance Office needs it to process your claim in your situtation we do not need to make an endorsement but more than likely they will do a once over on it for correctness as well, as far as dates and time in service are concerned. Normally since you are not taking any LWAS and no separations pay because you are over the threshhold and are being retired, I do not understand why they have to do all that. Your DD214 should be done before you discharge. It does not HAVE to be signed and if there is a problem you can send it back without signing it. TDRL or not the DD214 should be ready for you to sign so i am assuming that you are getting out on the 29th? I sent an e-mail response.

For everyone wondering about selling back leave you can sell it back everytime you re-enlist or get out up to a maximum of 60 days the calculation is as follows

Basic Pay divided by 30 times number of days sold to get pre-tax amount.
After that the flat rate for federal is 25% that you deduct and you are done with it if you do not pay state taxes if you do look up the state flat rate and add that to the 25% and subtract that percentage from the pre-tax amount. In my situtation it would look like this if i were selling 20 days.

2047.80/30=68.26*20=1365.20 pretax amount I live in arkansas which is 6% flat rate. so 25% plus 6% is 31% so 100%-31% = 69%

1365.20*0.69=941.99. Hope this helps all who are separating!

Just replied to your email...thanks for the assistance man. If only my unit had a admin Marine like you things would be good...

Semper fi

My Limited Duty Hell for the past 15 months has been working with DEERS issuing ID Cards. DEERS always has "hiccups" and there is never a guaranty that your DEERS record will be updated correctly. You will want to take a copy of your Long Form DD214 with you. Being medicaly retired TDRL you should have a 3 re-entry code which will entitle you to the retirement. I've seen many cases where commands just seperate the individual in DEERS, but do not have the TDRL segment added. A competent VO should know if your record is correct or not by verifing your DD214. You will then receive a retired ID that will expire five years from your seperation date. If you get pulled off of TDRL before your five years are up, or at the end of the five years, if they permently retire you, you'll then receive an indefinite retired ID.

My Limited Duty Hell for the past 15 months has been working with DEERS issuing ID Cards. DEERS always has "hiccups" and there is never a guaranty that your DEERS record will be updated correctly. You will want to take a copy of your Long Form DD214 with you. Being medicaly retired TDRL you should have a 3 re-entry code which will entitle you to the retirement. I've seen many cases where commands just seperate the individual in DEERS, but do not have the TDRL segment added. A competent VO should know if your record is correct or not by verifing your DD214. You will then receive a retired ID that will expire five years from your seperation date. If you get pulled off of TDRL before your five years are up, or at the end of the five years, if they permently retire you, you'll then receive an indefinite retired ID.

thanks man

How long after I get out will I recieve my DD214 in the mail?

I am gonna be screwed for atleast a month because I won't be able to go too my doctor appointments until my tri car stuff is switched over too retiree because officially I am not active anymore after the 29th and I need my DEERS info updated to switch from active duty too retiree tri care, and I have 3 doctor appointments in October alone so this should be fun.....yaaaaay

sfxer02,

I got my DD214 about a week and a 1/2 later after my effective TDRL date.

I was able to initiate TRI-Care before my TDRL date. It was $460 for the year for my family. They just could not process my information until active duty switched to retired status. It did not take long at all. I wasn't covered by Tri-Care for about two weeks until everything switched and was processed. Luckily, no one got sick!

sfxer02,

I got my DD214 about a week and a 1/2 later after my effective TDRL date.

I was able to initiate TRI-Care before my TDRL date. It was $460 for the year for my family. They just could not process my information until active duty switched to retired status. It did not take long at all. I wasn't covered by Tri-Care for about two weeks until everything switched and was processed. Luckily, no one got sick!

thanks again