Is there a possiblity for review to be put on PDRL

Ricky Scott

Registered Member
At time I was discharged there was a reduction in force going on. 200 of us were all discharged at 19.9%. At the time of my discharge if you attained 30% you were added to the permanent disability retirement list and given a retirement ID card. You could appeal 10%, but that left me 29.9%. I had 8 items listed and 5 were service connected. I believe they were trying not to add people to retirement to reduce costs. In 2000 they were allowing people as low as 10% to go on the PDRL. I would like to be added to the PDRL and given a retiree ID card. I dont require back pay as that is covered, nor do I require future pay. Just the ID card.

Is there a chance? What would be my course of action?

Your post in confusing. All conditions are rated by the VA in increments of 10: 0, 10, 20, 30, 40,......
Conditions rated by the VA are service connected.
DoD must use the VA rating, BUT DoD only compensates conditions that are "unfitting."
So VA rates all service connected conditions.
DoD rates only unfitting conditions.
Both use the VA rating for that condition.

In the resources section of this website you can find your services guidance on unfitting conditions. To be retires you must have 30% or more unfitting conditions AT the time of separation.

25% is round up to 30%

At time I was discharged there was a reduction in force going on. 200 of us were all discharged at 19.9%. At the time of my discharge if you attained 30% you were added to the permanent disability retirement list and given a retirement ID card. You could appeal 10%, but that left me 29.9%. I had 8 items listed and 5 were service connected. I believe they were trying not to add people to retirement to reduce costs. In 2000 they were allowing people as low as 10% to go on the PDRL. I would like to be added to the PDRL and given a retiree ID card. I dont require back pay as that is covered, nor do I require future pay. Just the ID card.

Is there a chance? What would be my course of action?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In addition to @chaplaincharlie's comments, what year were you discharged from the military? It would seem that you would had fallen under what is now called the Legacy DES (LDES). Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Your post in confusing. All conditions are rated by the VA in increments of 10: 0, 10, 20, 30, 40,......
Conditions rated by the VA are service connected.
DoD must use the VA rating, BUT DoD only compensates conditions that are "unfitting."
So VA rates all service connected conditions.
DoD rates only unfitting conditions.
Both use the VA rating for that condition.

In the resources section of this website you can find your services guidance on unfitting conditions. To be retires you must have 30% or more unfitting conditions AT the time of separation.

25% is round up to 30%
At the Time I was Discharged it was 1987 December. I had 15.7 years in the Navy. My Squadron at the time (VP-11) tried to put me on Limited Duty for retirement but the Admiral of Bethesda at the time of the Rift went back to the letter of the law of 18+1 day. I guess they were letting people stay past 15 years if they could but no longer. There were 200 of us discharged at the same day. My Discharge gave me 19.9 but VA im getting 30%.

I just found out about the PDRL part as that was not explained to me at the time.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

You can appeal to the BCMR and ask for retirement. The worst thing that could happen is they could say no. It is a loooooong process.