IU Backpay question

bcbberry

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was awarded IU yesterday. I've read different answers so I'm looking for anyone with experience. I filed for IU as soon as I was discharged from AD. This is my first go around and I was approved after waiting 8 months. Will I receive backpay from the date of discharge/filing? I know for ratings it'll backdate to the date of discharge if it's within a year's time of filing a claim but is it the same for IU? I've different answers such as the VA will backdate it to the date of approval not filed. Any insight? Thanks!

Yes, you will receive back pay, it should begin the day you filed.

Thank you!

Re: "Will I receive backpay from the date of discharge/filing? I know for ratings it'll backdate to the date of discharge if it's within a year's time of filing a claim but is it the same for IU?"

The effective date will likely be the first day after your discharge date (one is paid for the day of separation/discharge). VA compensation begins to accrue on the first of the month following the month having the effective date. Example: Effective date of 15 June 17 would result in the accrual of VA compensation beginning on 1 Jul 17 and if paid in real time, would have occurred on 1 Aug 17 (for 1-31 Jul).

It shows my effective date as Dec 1st, 2017. So maybe no backpay?

You can not collect VA compensation during a month in which you receive one or more days DoD pay. Otherwise you VA compensation goes back to the day you filed,

Thanks everyone. I received backpay!