Just Notified MEB--UC

I was notified last week that I will be going in for MEB. I have UC and have been dealing with it for about a year now. My question is UC = auto MEB and review. I also have Apnea w/CPAP, Eosinophilic Esophagitis, Gerd, Allergic Rhinitis, Diverticulum, and a few other back problems and neck and nerve issues. I am really unsure about the process. I have been following this forum for a while now and MAN o MAN this process sucks.

I have notified my civilian docs to write up a summary in addition to my PCM.

Is there anything else that I can do to get ahead of the game.

Just past 12yrs active duty

I just received my unfit ruling last week and the ratings this week for Crohn's.

If your goal is separation/retirement, or you have been told that you are most likely going to be found unfit, I suggest looking at the specific rating requirements for UC and when you speak with the doctor that is going to write your NARSUM, and then the C&P Exam doctor, use at least most of the terminology in the ratings info to describe your symptoms.

7323 Colitis, ulcerative:

Pronounced; resulting in marked malnutrition, anemia, and general
debility, or with serious complication as liver abscess............................................ 100

Severe; with numerous attacks a year and malnutrition, the health
only fair during remissions................................................................................... 60

Moderately severe; with frequent exacerbations..................................................... 30

Moderate; with infrequent exacerbations............................................................... 10

So, for example, if you have moderate symptoms with exacerbations that are only a couple times a year, say you have infrequent exacerbations. Or say you have been hospitalized numerous times and can't seem to ever feel better. Say that you have many flare-ups with malnutrition and don't recover fully in between.

My NARSUM was pretty poorly written and the C&P doc didn't say much that was useful. It made the wait very stressful.

I just received my unfit ruling last week and the ratings this week for Crohn's.

If your goal is separation/retirement, or you have been told that you are most likely going to be found unfit, I suggest looking at the specific rating requirements for UC and when you speak with the doctor that is going to write your NARSUM, and then the C&P Exam doctor, use at least most of the terminology in the ratings info to describe your symptoms.

7323 Colitis, ulcerative:

Pronounced; resulting in marked malnutrition, anemia, and general
debility, or with serious complication as liver abscess............................................ 100

Severe; with numerous attacks a year and malnutrition, the health
only fair during remissions................................................................................... 60

Moderately severe; with frequent exacerbations..................................................... 30

Moderate; with infrequent exacerbations............................................................... 10

So, for example, if you have moderate symptoms with exacerbations that are only a couple times a year, say you have infrequent exacerbations. Or say you have been hospitalized numerous times and can't seem to ever feel better. Say that you have many flare-ups with malnutrition and don't recover fully in between.

My NARSUM was pretty poorly written and the C&P doc didn't say much that was useful. It made the wait very stressful.

Thank you this is very helpful. I talked to my doctor and my NARSUM will not be complete until 12 Dec. I already have my two GI docs writing their own summaries and should be able to pick them up this week. My goal is really to stay in, but I have not received any indications that my PCM is leaning to a particular side (separate/retire or retention). It is very daunting waiting. I will be able to see which way my PCM is leaning by the NARSUM. I really just want to be prepared in the case that Separate or Retire is the intention.

On a good note if I was to be retired meeting the 30% mark for DOD me and the Wife have already come to terms and are preparing.

Thank you this is very helpful. I talked to my doctor and my NARSUM will not be complete until 12 Dec. I already have my two GI docs writing their own summaries and should be able to pick them up this week. My goal is really to stay in, but I have not received any indications that my PCM is leaning to a particular side (separate/retire or retention). It is very daunting waiting. I will be able to see which way my PCM is leaning by the NARSUM. I really just want to be prepared in the case that Separate or Retire is the intention.

On a good note if I was to be retired meeting the 30% mark for DOD me and the Wife have already come to terms and are preparing.

My PEB findings came back with a summary of my diagnosis and then a verbatim quote of the CC's letter. I talked with my CC before hand and we both agreed that it would be best for me, my health, and the AF if I separated. So the CC letter was written very strongly towards a recommendation of do not retain. I think if you have the CC and the NARSUM on the same page, it would build a strong case for you to stay in.

I haven't heard of many people with Crohn's staying in, but more recently I have heard and know personally, people with UC that were retained.

Good luck!

I received my 356 today and recommends Permanent Retirement. The only thing I have a question about is that the VA I guess to avoid pyramiding put all my GI problems into one rating. UC, Divers, Gerd, EOE, IBS. I would think that my esophagus would have been rated separately.

My CC's letter unfortunately said he wanted to "retain" me after my UC/MEB. I've already done 20+ years and would prefer to focus on my health. So, now C&P exams are complete and waiting on NARSUM etc. Crossing fingers for unfit and 50% VA.

Update AFPC said do not retain so looks like I’m retiring!!