Leave when getting out...How does it work

bpreachers

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So when/if they push me out (still awaiting my NARSUM brief currently) just how does the leave work? What things do you have to get done prior to starting leave other than the standard check out sheet? I will have over 60 days on the books likely because I currently have 70 (taking 15 days of leave split between May and June for Finals for my degree and for some certification testing). I have been told you get 10 days house hunting and 10 days job hunting on top of your terminal leave. Is that true? I will be doing TAPS in June so that will be knocked out. I may do it a second time at some point because I have been told it is a lot of information to digest in one run. So other than TAPs and Check Out what all else is entailed? Will the orders I get cut include terminal leave and house hunting/job hunting or is the command's discretion on if I get house/job hunting leave? just trying to get a firm grasp on the details here. Though I haven't gotten my NARSUM or my Fit/Unfit memo yet I am very certain the Navy will be telling me they do not want me any longer, too much medal in my neck for it to go any other way haha.

Do the above processes change depending on if you get retired or if you get severence?

Sorry for all the questions but these are things I just want/need to know.

If you are medically retired you will get 30 days of PTAD leave, plus any remaining leave you have saved up. I believe it will be up to your command to allow more than 60 days of leave (terminal plus the PTAD). The 30 days of PTAD is for moving/house hunting/job search. I'm about to start this process shortly, I'm currently awaiting my new EAS. Ive got 49 days of leave on the books plus the 30 days of terminal. Should give me 79 days. We will see, I believe once my new EAS post I will start PTAD to checkout, move and start terminal while back at home. I'll update this thread with my progress once it starts.

In my situation, I have been told that I am authorized 10 days for clearing, 20 Permissive TDY, and 60 days transition leave which equals the 90 day maximum limit.

Moreover, any days over 90 must be approved by the Physical Disability Agency (PDA). It seems like the PDA are currently not granting extension for military service members from my location as based upon feedback from the Retirement Services Office (RSO).

For example, the RSO stated that recently a soldier lost 27 days of military leave. Upon hearing that information, I immediately requested military ordinary leave since I currently have 95 days of military leave accrued. Remember that the maximum, without a waiver, is 60 days leave. A military service member will be forced to sell back up to 60 days leave in order to meet the 60 days maximum limit. The only stipulation is that the military service member can sell back up to 60 days leave maximum in a military career.

With all that said, I am currently taking 30 days of military ordinary leave while awaiting correspondence for the formal PEB. The IPEB upheld their original findings; therefore, the formal PEB hearing is the way to go with a one-time DoVA reconsideration after the conclusion of the FPEB.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!