Letter of Release

cole1036

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just to gather everyone else's input I am curious as to how quick people have been getting their Letter of Release from PDA? I Signed my 199 last Monday and I figured it should be here any day.

I was put on TRANSPROC the day after I signed the 199. I was not scheduled for my out processing for about 30 days later.

My final out was exactly 90 days after TRANSPROC began, i believe you can choose sooner if you want to sell back leave.

Just to gather everyone else's input I am curious as to how quick people have been getting their Letter of Release from PDA? I Signed my 199 last Monday and I figured it should be here any day.
In retrospect, upon the signature onto my DA Form 199-1 Formal #1 due to the completion of a FPEB hearing, 48 calendar days had elapsed before I received my notification of the TRANSPOC-III message from the military RSO.

Hopefully, current processing times of DA Form 199s by the USAPDA has significantly improved at this point in time! Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I've been told 5-10 days after 199 is signed I will receive my letter of release. I will get my orders and start clearing almost instantly after that.

Just spoke with someone from my PEBLO's office and they told me now the average wait time for someone to receive a letter of release is 2-4 weeks... so much for that 5-10 days you hear about and see on the dashboard.

Well I'm on day 8 (business days) (11 days in total). Everyone I've known in person to go through this process got their letter of release just 5 days after signing their 199. Hopefully mine comes in asap... this is really starting to screw my transition up.

I signed my 199 yesterday and my PEBLO said that I should hear from her that I hit TRANSPOC NLT Tue morning. She said that it is rare for it to take 2 weeks.

I signed my 199 yesterday and my PEBLO said that I should hear from her that I hit TRANSPOC NLT Tue morning. She said that it is rare for it to take 2 weeks.
Well Hopefully that's the case for you. I know they gave me the vibe that its definitely going to take at least 2 weeks. They told me someone signed their 199 on feb 2 and is still waiting for their LOR.

Good luck!

Well Hopefully that's the case for you. I know they gave me the vibe that its definitely going to take at least 2 weeks. They told me someone signed their 199 on feb 2 and is still waiting for their LOR.

Good luck!
Ft Sill is "supposedly" the quickest post for MEB. They average 100 days from the P3 profile to the start of leave. If this works out, then I will sign out on leave on midnight on day 99.

well that must be nice.. doing this from Germany is definitely not the fastest route

Start of week three and another day wasted (at least here in Germany anyway).. still no news, my PEBLO's office is telling me there aren't any LOR's coming in.

Finally got the letter of release, now I am just waiting on my leave to get approved so I can get orders!

Finally got the letter of release, now I am just waiting on my leave to get approved so I can get orders!
Indeed, good deal and congratulations! :) Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

So after you get the Letter of Release can you start clearing?

So after you get the Letter of Release can you start clearing?

Once you receive your letter of release (A.K.A Physical Disability Information Report) you have exactly 90 days to get out (clearing, leave, etc.) Now you have two routes of doing this..

A) Apply your leave to line up with that last day.. meaning, officially starting your terminal leave so that your last day lands on the 90th day. This would mean you probably wouldn't start clearing for at least a month unless you have an excess amount of leave saved up.

OR you could,

B) Get a memo signed by your commander stating you wish to be separated prior to the 90 day mark.

For instance, my 90 days ends on the 23rd of May (90 days after I got my letter of release.) I have 52 days of leave built up. I am giving myself from today until the 9th of March to clear and then signing out on terminal leave. 52 days starting on 9MARCH puts me at April 28 which is obviously almost an entire month earlier than the 90 days the army has allotted me to get out. Thats why I had a memo sent to my commander saying that I chose to be separated early (on the 28th of April).

so to answer your question about clearing, it just depends on which route you take. Keep in mind that if you chose to get a memo signed stating you want to separate early you will obviously have to wait on orders from your transition office to clear. From what I've been told since transition only does orders for soldiers separating (not PCS, ETS) they usually get them back quickly with in a day or two. BUT to get those orders you will obviously need your DA31 signed (which can take a hot minute if it has to go past your commander so definitely give yourself a cushion for that to be completed) and you'll need that memo signed if you chose to take that path. So in essence yes you can clear right after getting the LOR, thats what I'm doing. But you just have to prepare yourself (and your leadership) and get everything in line so that when you get that letter you can hit the ground running.

Once you receive your letter of release (A.K.A Physical Disability Information Report) you have exactly 90 days to get out (clearing, leave, etc.) Now you have two routes of doing this..

A) Apply your leave to line up with that last day.. meaning, officially starting your terminal leave so that your last day lands on the 90th day. This would mean you probably wouldn't start clearing for at least a month unless you have an excess amount of leave saved up.

OR you could,

B) Get a memo signed by your commander stating you wish to be separated prior to the 90 day mark.

For instance, my 90 days ends on the 23rd of May (90 days after I got my letter of release.) I have 52 days of leave built up. I am giving myself from today until the 9th of March to clear and then signing out on terminal leave. 52 days starting on 9MARCH puts me at April 28 which is obviously almost an entire month earlier than the 90 days the army has allotted me to get out. Thats why I had a memo sent to my commander saying that I chose to be separated early (on the 28th of April).

so to answer your question about clearing, it just depends on which route you take. Keep in mind that if you chose to get a memo signed stating you want to separate early you will obviously have to wait on orders from your transition office to clear. From what I've been told since transition only does orders for soldiers separating (not PCS, ETS) they usually get them back quickly with in a day or two. BUT to get those orders you will obviously need your DA31 signed (which can take a hot minute if it has to go past your commander so definitely give yourself a cushion for that to be completed) and you'll need that memo signed if you chose to take that path. So in essence yes you can clear right after getting the LOR, thats what I'm doing. But you just have to prepare yourself (and your leadership) and get everything in line so that when you get that letter you can hit the ground running.

Do you have a copy of the memo? Or is it something that the PEBLO would have?

Your Peblo should have it

Cole, I'm another Germany based soldier about a month behind you.
Out of curiosity, did they say anything as to why your 199 took a month after being typed to receive final signature?

Cole, I'm another Germany based soldier about a month behind you.
Out of curiosity, did they say anything as to why your 199 took a month after being typed to receive final signature?
Nope, it was extremely frustrating and just a terrible wait with no help whatsoever from my PEBLO. Not to mention my 199 was officially signed on the 4th but somehow didn't make its way to be until the 8th. Being here in Germany makes everything so much more difficult. Just prepare for the worst and hopefully yours comes in at least a week or two earlier than mine. Just don't forget to utilize your MEB attorney if necessary they are a free tool that will guaranteed do more work than the PEBLO's here.

Nope, it was extremely frustrating and just a terrible wait with no help whatsoever from my PEBLO. Not to mention my 199 was officially signed on the 4th but somehow didn't make its way to be until the 8th. Being here in Germany makes everything so much more difficult. Just prepare for the worst and hopefully yours comes in at least a week or two earlier than mine. Just don't forget to utilize your MEB attorney if necessary they are a free tool that will guaranteed do more work than the PEBLO's here.

I spoke with my Germany based PEBLO just this morning over the phone, he did state there's still a backlog up at the 199 stage right now after they called them like a week or two ago. Then it takes another 1.5 to 2 weeks for the PEB president to review and sign the 199 right now.

All in all, I think I should be able to start clearing this dog and pony show of a post by the end of March which is rather pleasing to me.

I spoke with my Germany based PEBLO just this morning over the phone, he did state there's still a backlog up at the 199 stage right now after they called them like a week or two ago. Then it takes another 1.5 to 2 weeks for the PEB president to review and sign the 199 right now.

All in all, I think I should be able to start clearing this dog and pony show of a post by the end of March which is rather pleasing to me.
It seems that most every department in IDES/VA is backlogged.. You are obviously seeing that with your 199, as did I and unfortunately you will probably see that with your letter of release as well. Best of luck and trust me I feel your pain about this "Army" in Germany being a dog and pony show. It'll all be over soon enough! PM me if you have any general questions or if you just need to bitch to someone. Trust me when I say I know how stressful and annoying this process can get with out someone to vent to. Especially when no one around you understands the process or what/who your dealing with.