Long time reader...first time poster :) AGR Reserve Process and my experiences

CW2_PBO

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

I’ve been getting an abundance of useful information from this website so I feel obligated to report my progress, issues, and lessons learned as I navigate thru this process. I have 17.5 years active and 20 years total . I am an AGR reserve officer with time in both the Army(16yrs) and Marine Corps (4yrs). I am being boarded for psoriasis that requires constant use of autoimmune medication. Below is my current timeline breakdown for reference (as things progress I will update this thread):

20 Sep 2017: Notified of potential medical board
5 Nov2017: Notified of requirement for Medical Board
7 Nov 17: Met with PEBLO: A very Rushed experience, listen carefully and take notes. if possible, as for a copy of your medical record at this time.
8 Nov 17: Briefing from transition office, legal, PEBLO, VA and others
15 Nov 17: Started my VA appointments: This is a QUICK process, be prepared to be rushed through and heard like cattle. Ensure the physician pays special attention to your unfitting condition, or conditions previously not reported. My appointments were done in two days (one day for an eye appointment)
14 Dec 17: NARSUM interview: This was done over the phone and was a 30 min discussion about my issues. This portion is a deal breaker. If you want to get separated and retained, this interview is key. Remember the NARSUM is given to the MEB as one of the primary supporting documents.
19 Dec 17: NARSUM completed, MEB findings completed.
26 Dec 17: I submitted a request for an IMR. I believe my PTSD is also an unfitting condition or at least secondary to worsening of my primary condition.
29 Dec 17: IPR Interview: Telephonic interview with Fort Gordon (remember I am AGR reserve). Not an interview for you to plea your case, more of a discussion about how the IMR works. ****NOTE**** The IMR will review your records and then recommend to the MEB about things that may have been overlooked. The IMR cannot state something without referencing a document. So If you have a condition, but no document to back it up, the IMR may be pointless for you. The IMR will send back an letter referencing the documents and paragraph which may or may not support your IMR request.

---------my current stopping point------

Lessons Learned (as an AGR):
  1. Once you are notified of your Medical Board, go to you local Military Treatment Facilities (MTF) and request a copy of your entire digital ALTA, and HAIMS(???) record. Once you get this verify that all your civilian information is uploaded in to HAIMS. If not, give the MTF copies so they can scan them. I am learning that this is VERY important and unadvertised.
  2. Travel is reimbursed for trips to MTF and required appointments. Ensure you DTS for each trip.
  3. Pre-type your Commanders statements if they allow you to. Commanders like to be given something to work with, instead of starting from nothing.
  4. Keep your family involved. As an AGR you may not want to wait for an orders date before you make moving arrangements. I am working this right now with my family.

New update..
7 Nov 17: Met with PEBLO: A very Rushed experience, listen carefully and take notes. if possible, as for a copy of your medical record at this time.
15 Nov 17: Started my VA appointments: This is a QUICK process, be prepared to be rushed through and heard like cattle. Ensure the physician pays special attention to your unfitting condition, or conditions previously not reported. My appointments were done in two days (one day for an eye appointment)
14 Dec 17: NARSUM interview: This was done over the phone and was a 30 min discussion about my issues. This portion is a deal breaker. If you want to get separated and retained, this interview is key. Remember the NARSUM is given to the MEB as one of the primary supporting documents.
26 Dec 17: I submitted a request for an IMR. I believe my PTSD is also an unfitting condition or at least secondary to worsening of my primary condition.
29 Dec 17: IMR Interview: Telephonic interview with Fort Gordon (remember I am AGR reserve). Not an interview for you to plea your case, more of a discussion about how the IMR works
* 2 Jan 17 IMR results came back.... not change.
* 2 Jan 17 Rebuttal submitted
* 10 Jan 17 Rebuttal appeal results returned. Packet forwarded to the VA

New update..

29 Dec 17: IMR Interview: Telephonic interview with Fort Gordon (remember I am AGR reserve). Not an interview for you to plea your case, more of a discussion about how the IMR works
2 Jan 18 IMR results came back.... not change.
2 Jan 18 Rebuttal submitted
10 Jan 18 Rebuttal appeal results returned. Packet forwarded to the VA
*23 Jan 18 IPEB results returned - Packet sent for VA Ratings
*15 Feb 18 VA Ratings Returned. I used most of the 10 days prior to signing
*22 Feb 18 Aggrence submitted with request for VA Reconsideration.
* Currently awaiting VA Reconsideration for Primary IDES referral.

Las Update.

2 Jan 18 IMR results came back.... not change.
2 Jan 18 Rebuttal submitted
10 Jan 18 Rebuttal appeal results returned. Packet forwarded to the VA
23 Jan 18 IPEB results returned - Packet sent for VA Ratings
15 Feb 18 VA Ratings Returned. I used most of the 10 days prior to signing
22 Feb 18 Agree submitted with request for VA Reconsideration.
*15 Mar 18 - Reconsideration was AWFUL!!! - Packet sent forward
*27 Mar 18 received notification of retirement date
*30 Mar 18 requested extension for 30 days --------> I can tell you how to do this if you need info
*2 Apr 18 Extension Approved
*20 Apr 18 Started 20 days permissive and 75 days leave

Goodbye Army :(

Quote Reply

Thank you keeping us up-to-date on your process. I'm guessing you were trying to stay in? :(