Los Angeles Timeline

sparky_wulf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I've seen the writing on the wall for quite some time now. I've thought a MEB was around the corner for three years now! I'll be asking for a lot of help in appropriate threads.

Yesterday my mental health professional and I discussed that it was time for him to recommend me for an MEB and that he would be submitting it this week. I will be using this thread to track my dates and concerns specific to timeline.

23AUG16 - informed by therapist I would be submitted for an MEB.
13SEP16 - next appointment with therapist where I will receive an update as to their submission.

I am concerned that my timeline or status will mess up my schooling. I am in LA as a full-time student while remaining on active duty with an expected graduation of May 2017. I am nervous that the Army will decide that I shouldn't be a student and will yank me out of class and throw me into recruiting. Would this be some sort of discrimination that I could fight? In my case it is the school, not the Army, that is footing the bill.

Thanks!

Spoke with my therapist on the phone twice trying to hunt down what the Army doc response was.
On the 12th I decided to call Ft Irwin. They made an appointment with me for this Friday the 23rd.

I'm expecting at this appointment to be told that the Army is going with the AF docs recommendation for referral to an MEB.

Knowledge is power. As you start your C&P's be familiar with the DBQ"S and CFR 38 as they relate to your conditions. Though you have one referring condition they very might decide other conditions make you unfit for continued service. I have attached a helpful spreadsheet. Feel free to PM questions on how to use if you are unsure.

Attachments

• DBQ's.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks JB - that will be a really useful spreadsheet!

Doc was amazed I haven't had an meb initiated years ago. He's wondering if there is something about me in my record where they can't. After he checks on that his plan is to initiate by mid next week.

Feels surreal. I mourned my career years ago. Be nice to actually start down this path that I've been standing at the head of for years now.

Got the call from the doc today... he's referring me for an MEB.

29SEP16 - profiled perm S3 recommending MEB condition schizoaffective disorder.

4OCT16 - called by MEB supervisor at FT Irwin. I should be assigned a PEBLO and scheduled for a PEB tomorrow. She said that the case load is light at FT Irwin and they move things quickly and don't believe in sitting on paperwork. I stressed that, while expediency is important it is more important to me to be thorough... of course she agreed.

5OCT16 - PEB in brief FT Irwin
5OCT16 - VA in brief and preparation of VA Form 21-4138

It's really not in my best interest to speed things along - really don't want to be put out before May... but am surprised that I haven't even had my C&P exams even scheduled yet. I'm chronically bad at dealing with uncertainty (which is part of my issues that got me here)... am tempted to call and ask... even though I know I just need to sit-tight.

Still no exams even scheduled. See a lot of timelines where people are already through their exams this far after an MEB is initiated. I'm barely sleeping at night thinking about this. So exhausted.

Still no exams even scheduled. See a lot of timelines where people are already through their exams this far after an MEB is initiated. I'm barely sleeping at night thinking about this. So exhausted.
I would call and just touch base with them in regards to this. I am in the same boat as you I want my MEB to last as long as it can (after May if possible). It never hurts what can they say. It's all about CYB just in case something does come down.

I would call and just touch base with them in regards to this. I am in the same boat as you I want my MEB to last as long as it can (after May if possible). It never hurts what can they say. It's all about CYB just in case something does come down.
I hope you are enjoying Alaska. I served there for 8 years (with a couple of trips to the desert) between WWright and Rich. We might be looking at trying to move back there after all of this.

Received email with appointments - I have a telephonic one with the NARSUM doc (is telephonic bad?) Wed. And then exams scheduled for Oct 28th, 31st and Nov 1st.

I love it up here we are going to stay up here. I know when I had my telephonic call with Doc the connection was horrible I had to ask him to repeat himself several times to make sure everything he stated was correct or he mentioned everything on my record.

Had telephonic interview with the NARSUM doc. Was 90 min long and seemed very complete. This is the first time anyone could confirm that my 156 pages of mental health records from the AF had made it over into my VA packet.

Really flipping out with anticipation of the C&P exams... hoping my crazy mind will settle down but I bet the constant wargaming of the future will only continue. I've had one C&P for my eyes and an exam for my ears (tinnitus) is today. The psychologist (for my referred condition) and general C&P are tomorrow.

C&P exams complete except for going in the next two days to get my blood pressure checked. The general exam felt more like I was seeing a veterinarian. Pushed me through very quickly. He did all of the ROM at once and then wrote them down. He seemed offended that I pointed out he had a good memory.
Everyone should go in with a reduced sense of smell - that test was fun. I don't think I did too well - but I think I might play that game with my kids tonight.

No update to provide... I'm struggling with being patient. The PEBLO said she would send me a copy of the exams once they have them - so I guess I'll have a chance to look at them before the NARSUM so nothing should be a surprise there. As of right now I have no NARSUM appointment - so it is just a waiting game. I think patience would be a lot more easier after seeing some exam results - I can better spitball what ratings will be and have a good idea as to fit/unfit. That is, unless things are on a borderline. Wish I could just go to sleep for a few months!

Received my exam results on the 10th. Details on mental health section are in the mental health forum.