Major Depression MEB

RW3

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'll try not to weigh this down with my personal issues. Long story short: I'm super depressed, had cancer recurrence after 12 years, got cancer resected, still depressed. I've tried a bunch of anti-depressants and they've yet to work. I'm on welbutrin, lexapro, and abilify. If abilify works, my psychiatrist said an MEB would be started. If abilify doesn't work then I get started on lithium. It's the same deal with lithium (if it works an MEB is initiated). I'm pretty miserable and the best thing, in my opinion, for me and the army is probably a separation.

My concern is, what are the chances of getting 30% DOD? I'm sure that's hard to answer with the information given, but I'm really open ears for anyone who's had experience with an MEB for psych issues. I'm concerned with that due to having some pretty bad EFMP issues. I'm torn between lying to stay in the army so the family has good healthcare, or the possibility of getting an MEB with <20%. I dunno if I should go crazy or go in to major medical debt as a civilian which will probably cause a load of other problems.

My other concern is that I don't have 8 years, and since 8 is required for conditions existing prior to service (EPTS), I worry that I won't have healthcare if my cancer comes back again.

Other medical problems:
- Sleep Apnea w/ CPAC
- Bad knee
- IBS/constipation/hemorrhoids
- Occasional migraines
- ED from meds

Even if you don't get your 30%(which I think you would) as long as your conditions are documented with the VA it's my understanding that those conditions will be covered by VA medical, even if those conditions get better or get worse(reoccur)

Why do you think I'd get 30 percent? My understanding is that the DOD rating is only based on the referring issue. Do my other medical issues play into the rating at all, or is it just VA?

The occurrence of major depression during a serious illness, like cancer, happens frequently. I'm sorry it is happening to you.

EPTS can not be found after 8 years, BUT EPTS is not automatic with less than 8 years. There must be evidence that major depression existed prior to service and even then the service must prove that service did not aggravate your depression. Don't get caught in the trap of over thinking this.

The priority now, is treatment. Take care.

Best wishes
Mike

I'm getting MEB'd for Major Clinical Depression. Had it for a few years while in service. Service connected.

The VA only asks SPECIFIC questions during your C&P exams and your answer to those questions determines your rating. The rating shows how much it affects your life. The more checkboxes you get under a specific rating that's the rating you would get.

My example.
Bad sleep
Bad family relations
Low self confidence
No friends / close relationships
Suicidal
Panic attacks / High Anxiety
Bad work performance
Missing work often
and a few others

Because of all this I got the words "Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in MOST areas such as work, school, family relations, judgement, thinking and or mood."

Due to that; its not official; but should be a 70% DoD rating.

When you do your VA C&P exam for mental health be straight forward with them. Make sure you explain to them how it affects each of these categories.