MEB and AR15

SGT (P)

Registered Member
(First time on the forum, need tons of advice) I've officially been in for 10 years May 2018. Active Duty the whole time. I'm kind of stuck, I've had multiple body issues mainly collar bone and back issues L4,L5 (was told by the neurosurgeon I had degenerative disc disease) (which started off as a bulging disc) shoulder issue has been going on since 2012 and back since 2014. I've exercised all resources, steroid injections, pain management, EMG tests (which came out okay), physical therapy ( which I was told I needed to complete more sessions by my PCM but the Doc at PT told me I didn't need to go anymore) chiropractor, and orthopedics turned me down because I'm not a surgical candidate, neurosurgery, and 4 MRIs...what do I do? I asked my PCM if they could initiate a MEB but they continue to tell me it's not possible. I told them I can't physically go on due to the pain and sleepless nights. I even got meds from my PCM but it's for depression I understand why they gave it to me but I'm not depressed....since I've been taking the meds I've missed a few times too many formations. I've overslept every time I take the prescribed meds but if I don't I have sleepless painful nights. I've tried different ways to take the meds, earlier, tried different sleep techniques....nothing works...I'm facing an article 15 because of this and my COC thinks I'm a sandbag because of this. I need some serious help I've tried talking to my COC but they're not having it. Please help with both situations. I need advice. (Also don't know if this is the right forum to post in.) Thanks in advance.

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You cannot "ask" for an MEB you have to get as much medical treatment and profiles until your PMC decides it's enough to initiate a MEB. If your medical team sucks get outside help and second opinions. Treatment should always be your first priority nonetheless a profile should have been written with the meds prescription. Contact patient advocate and communicate your concerns. Also when I left the service and got a copy of my medical records I was STUNNED by some of the notes in them by doctors. Yours probably contain information that your condition isn't as serious as you make it out to be. Might even accuse you of malingering

Come on sergeant you know as well as I do not coming to formation is a slam dunk ucmj probably the easiest ucmj they can hand out. Your tone makes the situation out to be you are on the shit list a list they you can't get off of unless you become a superstar. Gather medical information to support the meb with an outside doc.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm facing an article 15 because of this and my COC thinks I'm a sandbag because of this.
As far as the MEB referral and your duty problems based on your conditions/disabilities, patient advocate is the most likely avenue that makes sense to me.
Until you are notified and read your Art.15, you likely won't be able to access military counsel, but, if you are going to use military counsel, TDS appointment is in your near future.

(The COC is who is initiating the Art. 15, so the lack of love makes sense).

I need some serious help I've tried talking to my COC but they're not having it. Please help with both situations. I need advice. (Also don't know if this is the right forum to post in.) Thanks in advance.
See above. Sounds like your medical providers and your COC should be coordinating better about your conditions, your medications, and the impact on your duty performance. The disconnect is a likely issue in the problems you are facing with potential Art. 15. Still, based on what you have stated, it is not misconduct to not be able to make formation on time as a result of prescribed medication. Not that this fact will make your superiors fans of yours or give you any love. However, it is BS if you are penalized and treated as engaging in misconduct for what could be solved with coordination or a simple profile.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for the advice
Plus, in my view, it is a leadership failure to not take into account the issues. There is a difference between a shit bag who is just not showing up and someone who is having issues with performance based on their treatment for in the line of duty conditions. Good leaders know the difference and take this into account.

Good luck!

SGT (P)

Registered Member
I do have a permanent profile for my lower back which my PCM told me there are assigned limitations for each profile injury. I'm not sure if they can add a limitation for medication but I will ask as soon as possible. Thank you for all the feedback and support.

SGT (P)

Registered Member
(Just an update) I spoke with Patient Advocate and i ended up getting full support from most. I have a new PCM who seems to be taking my issue seriously, he started my "NARSUM"? And hes doing a little studying of my history which i'm also getting feedback from. He also stated he wanted to know more about the situation before he initiated the P3 profile which gives the go for the MEB Process. He sat down with me and went over his honest thoughts which is good, (because I dont like when people beat around the bush) with Patient Advocate and came up with a plan and the process. Thats the bright side. As far as the AR 15 goes my COC is still going through with it. Im not sure how to approach them with the fact I may be leaving the Army soon due to the same medical conditions they are favoring the AR 15 over. Any suggestions?

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Glad you got some traction from the medical community. You may want to ask your new PCM who is more involved to call your command. Sometimes the chain gets in the way or correct information. You PCM can call your commander.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">