MEB Concerns Psoriatic Arthritis

crag83

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

I've never used this forum so bear with me. I have been in about 12 years and last January I started to get some joint pain along with some psoriasis on my scalp and forehead. I am supposed to go to rheumatologist on Tuesday and talked with my PCM about what is next. Once they confirm the psoriatic arthritis diagnosis they will most likely treat with meds. My PCM told me if they confirm diagnosis this will create an MEB for my condition. He said they will most likely return me to duty with a "C" code. I'm concerned because if they retain me will I get this covered when I discharge, etc? Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Any assistance or advice would be beneficial. If they do an MEB and say I'm unfit what does that mean for me and my family.

Thanks

Crag83

I would say that you are concerned that they would assign an EPTS (existed prior to service) to you condition but I wouldn't worry one bit. I believe that your condition is hereditary but it is the burden of the government to prove that your service did not either a. cause it to appear early or b. worsen the condition. So in short terms, don't worry...the government owns it now and you will receive the benefits from the VA.
Take a look at the VASARD to determine what it would mean if they unfit you. If your unfitting conditions total 30% or higher you received medical retirement, less than 30% means medical separation, severance, and a VA disability check based off of all conditions unfitting or not...

Well it depends where they move me. Either way I would like to switch to Reserve to finish up my 20. Unless they medically discharge me.

Please see my response. Thanks!

I would say that you are concerned that they would assign an EPTS (existed prior to service) to you condition but I wouldn't worry one bit. I believe that your condition is hereditary but it is the burden of the government to prove that your service did not either a. cause it to appear early or b. worsen the condition. So in short terms, don't worry...the government owns it now and you will receive the benefits from the VA.
Take a look at the VASARD to determine what it would mean if they unfit you. If your unfitting conditions total 30% or higher you received medical retirement, less than 30% means medical separation, severance, and a VA disability check based off of all conditions unfitting or not...
What
what if they return me to duty?

I'm concerned because if they retain me will I get this covered when I discharge, etc?

If you are returned to duty the VA will still be able to provide treatment and compensation after discharge. They won't be able to use it to determine retirement if you elect to not stay in. Later down the road if the condition becomes worse and results in new limitations they would be forced to do another MEB and at that time it would likely result in being found unfit and then effect retirement/severance.

First, do not worry at all about the military calling it EPTS unless this condition was noted on your entrance physical. I dobt it was. What matters is when the condition manifested, not if it has a genetic factor or not. Even if it was EPTS, the military would still compensate the condition under 10 USC 1207a given the fact you are active duty and have 8+ years of active duty. The VA should service connect/compensate/treat the condition unless they can demonstrate the condition manifested prior to entry which I doubt they can.

Whether it triggers a MEB or not will depend on its severity and the drugs used to treat it. Drugs like Enbrel, Humira, Remicade will usually trigger a MEB. However, the systemic use of these immunosuppressive drugs will trigger at least a 60% rating under the VASRD.

If a MEB is triggered, get back to me as there is a lot you need to know about how to proper document and rate psoriatic arthritis.

Mike

First, do not worry at all about the military calling it EPTS unless this condition was noted on your entrance physical. I dobt it was. What matters is when the condition manifested, not if it has a genetic factor or not. Even if it was EPTS, the military would still compensate the condition under 10 USC 1207a given the fact you are active duty and have 8+ years of active duty. The VA should service connect/compensate/treat the condition unless they can demonstrate the condition manifested prior to entry which I doubt they can.

Whether it triggers a MEB or not will depend on its severity and the drugs used to treat it. Drugs like Enbrel, Humira, Remicade will usually trigger a MEB. However, the systemic use of these immunosuppressive drugs will trigger at least a 60% rating under the VASRD.

If a MEB is triggered, get back to me as there is a lot you need to know about how to proper document and rate psoriatic arthritis.

Mike
Thank you, I will get back with you when I know more.

My apologies if I freaked you out. Mike Parker I am sure cleared it up for you. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with Psor

Mike
iatic Arthritis today. They started me on Sulfasalazime which is a DMARD. I am supposed to follow up in one month with rheumatologist. Thoughts, etc?

Mike

Also, I forgot but I was also diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and am taking Zoloft 50mg. I'm trying to figure out how much I will receive in VA disability if I separate from service in a year and a half.

I'm trying to figure out how much I will receive in VA disability if I separate from service in a year and a half.

This requires understanding the VASRD. A rating is determined not just by what your diagnosis is, but by how severe the symptoms are. Militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com has a fairly decent translation of the VASRD into slightly more understandable terms.

You can file your claim with the VA 6 months prior to discharge. If sent through the MEB part of the process is doing a claim.

Sulfasalazine may or not trigger a MEB. In the Army, for psoriatic arthritis, any drug that requires frequent lab monitoring can trigger a MEB.

In terms of VA compensation, these conditions that began in service should be deemed service connected and compensated. The ratings would depend on the manifestations and severity at the time of the rating.

Mike

PCM emailed me today to say
Sulfasalazine may or not trigger a MEB. In the Army, for psoriatic arthritis, any drug that requires frequent lab monitoring can trigger a MEB.

In terms of VA compensation, these conditions that began in service should be deemed service connected and compensated. The ratings would depend on the manifestations and severity at the time of the rating.

Mike
PCM emailed me today and told me the medication is triggering an MEB. I am on a waist measurement profile only. Once he gets rheumatologist final lab and x rays he will submit paperwork for MEB. Any thoughts?

http://www.pebforum.com/site/thread...litis-undifferentiated-spondyloaropathy.8249/

See post 8 on this thread. It applies to Psoriatic Arhtritis as well.

Mike

I went back to rheumatologist today and the sulfasalizine is not working. They prescribed me Methylprednisolone for 2 months along with Sulfasalazine. If that doesn't work then they will go to Methotrexate and then Enbril if needed. Do you know if the Methkyprednisolone is board able. Also, should I be gathering records in case the MEB comes back with return to duty. Want to ensure I'm taken care of upon separation and receive compensation for this condition. Any info would be appreciated.

I went back to rheumatologist today and the sulfasalizine is not working. They prescribed me Methylprednisolone for 2 months along with Sulfasalazine. If that doesn't work then they will go to Methotrexate and then Enbril if needed. Do you know if the Methkyprednisolone is board able. Also, should I be gathering records in case the MEB comes back with return to duty. Want to ensure I'm taken care of upon separation and receive compensation for this condition. Any info would be appreciated.

Indeed, as such in my opinion, it's always a more favorable course of action to be well prepared with medical evidence and/or medical documentation immediately available then trying to obtain such items at the very time of need! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I received the link and reviewed the paperwork. It looks like it addresses treatment of symptoms. I also reviewed the made easy site and it said:

Treatments: If the condition required the almost constant use of medications to regulate the immune system (methotrexate, steroids, etc.) over the past 12 months, it is rated 60%. If the condition required medications to regulate the immune system for a total of 6 weeks or more during the past 12 months, itopical

medications over the past 12 months, it is rated 0%.