MEB INTERVIEW QUESTIONS (TELEPHONIC)

RavenFan1980

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

QUESTION: I am currently active duty with 19 years and 10 months undergoing treatment in ORTHO for knees, left shoulder (3 months post surgery) and hip (declined surgery). Preciously moving closer and closer with PCM all year towards potential MED BOARD; however, during my Ortho appointment today, the Ortho Doc Said he would be referring me to the MEB as it would be in my best interest. I was under the impression that a P3 had to be put in to intitiate; however, he said he referred me and I should receive a phone call from the MEB department in a few days. I received the phone call hours later regarding matters to schedule a telephonic record review with the MEB DOC to determine whether my referred conditions warrant an MEB.

QUESTION:

- Is this sequence the norm going over matters by phone?

- Would it be wise to see my PCM who I’ve been working with the last couple months prior to conducting this telephonic review?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

RavenFan1980,

Welcome to the PEB Forum!

I am currently active duty with 19 years and 10 months undergoing treatment in ORTHO for knees, left shoulder (3 months post surgery) and hip (declined surgery).
This is good news as to your years of service because you will break 20 years and qualify for CRDP. Have you previously submitted a request for a length of service retirement, and if so, has the request been approved? This is important because of the Presumption of Fitness Rule.

- Is this sequence the norm going over matters by phone?

I have seen this happen before, but, I would not say that is the "norm." I would tend to think this type of telephonic review is either just an informal interview and/or it may be done if you are in a remote location. I am not sure it matters much IF they are overall complying with the regulations OR you get your desired result (that is, if they don't follow the regulations, but give you what you want, no big deal). Things get more interesting if they don't comply with regulations and/or deny you some right/benefit/compensation as a result of not following regulations. Much would depend on what they do with your case after the phone call.

- Would it be wise to see my PCM who I’ve been working with the last couple months prior to conducting this telephonic review?
Not sure that it would matter. What are you thinking that would accomplish or what would be your goal in seeing your PCM?

Hope all goes well for you! Best of luck!

@RavenFan1980,

To add to Jason's response, I don't know that the MEB results are actually going to matter to you. Once you hit 20 years, you get the same entitlements (pay and benefits) whether you retire for length of service or for disability. Under either system, you'll be entitled to your full VA pay and the same amount of Concurrent Receipt retirement pay.

The only potential difference is if your disability is combat-related. If that's the case, a disability retirement would make your DoD pay tax-free, where a length of service retirement would make that pay taxable.

I'll note one other thing, which is that you absolutely have to get to 20 years in order to qualify for CRDP, which is a massive amount of extra money. The Air Force in the last few years has been making a habit of medically separating Airmen over 18 years of service, in spite of their requests to stay in until retirement. At 19 years 10 months, you're probably safe. They'd really have to hustle to get your package finalized in the next 2 months. But it may be in your best interest to drag your feet a little to make sure you hit 20.

-Matt

@RavenFan1980,

To add to Jason's response, I don't know that the MEB results are actually going to matter to you. Once you hit 20 years, you get the same entitlements (pay and benefits) whether you retire for length of service or for disability. Under either system, you'll be entitled to your full VA pay and the same amount of Concurrent Receipt retirement pay.

The only potential difference is if your disability is combat-related. If that's the case, a disability retirement would make your DoD pay tax-free, where a length of service retirement would make that pay taxable.

I'll note one other thing, which is that you absolutely have to get to 20 years in order to qualify for CRDP, which is a massive amount of extra money. The Air Force in the last few years has been making a habit of medically separating Airmen over 18 years of service, in spite of their requests to stay in until retirement. At 19 years 10 months, you're probably safe. They'd really have to hustle to get your package finalized in the next 2 months. But it may be in your best interest to drag your feet a little to make sure you hit 20.

-Matt