MEB questions

Kwestermeyer

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have a question about the MEB im currently going thru, First my MEB was started in FEB 2010 i understand this takes a long time to work thru but last month it was stopped by the Army cause they surpassed the 90 day mark in which they are allotted from what i am being told due to them having to add my hearing loss to the narrative summary. Now i was reading a post on here that says if your injuries are from combat the check is tax free is that the same for hearing loss or just other injuries?

All compensable disabilities.

PURSUING MEB REFERRAL TO PEB AND UNFIT FINDING

I realize (or so it seems) that most of those here are trying to remain in the military believing, despite an illness or injury, that they can still perform duties, etc. And I am definitely behind them 100% if this is their desire and goal; but as for me I know my capabilities as a military member have been gravely affected by my own illness and believe I must now move on in life despite the many years in the Air Force, 14 active and 2 Reserves. I am now finally getting a MEB and hope to move on to the PEB and an eventual finding of UNFIT. [Reserve active duty orders last 4 years]--
I would just like to know if anyone else is in the same boat [pursuing UNFIT] or even what others think about this. Here at my current base they seem to be reluctant to refer anyone to the PEB, at least that's the feeling I get from my own PCM. In fact I expect I will have to refute MEB findings as well as evaluate results with my own impartial physician since this PCM I currently have seems to believe I am FIT. I won't go into detail at this time but how he can say this with a straight face is a wonder to me, and as I said shows the reluctance I mentioned. I know this much, if not forwarded to the PEB I will refute and fight as much as possible for this before finally leaving the military. I am the best judge of what I am capable of. Unfortunately if they don't agree I will have to force them to kick me out since I will not continue 'duties' I cannot perform.
Comments welcome--:)

LoufromFWB,

If you have any conditions which fail retention standards, your case must be forwarded to the PEB per AFI 148-123. Your fitness or unfitness can never be determined at the MEB level - only the PEB holds the power to declare a member fit or unfit for service.

In any case, if you are suspicious of the findings of the MEB - request an IMA.

I agree with your general sentiments concerning your ability to perform your duties. As a retired (TDRL) member who served in a combat arms MOS, it ran through my head that if found fit for duty I would fight the decision - not only because it put my own life at risk, but because it put the lives of my comrades at risk.

Lou,

I saw your post and it struck a chord with me. On 20 Apr 08 my life changed completely. I don't want to be melodramatic--so I'll just say explosions and brains+eardrums don't get along well. I'm lucky to be alive. I thank god every morning. But I also like you I've changed and realize I must move on away from the AF. It is a hard choice. It is one many people don't understand--they just assume you want to go on as usual.

The fact that you are 14 yrs in tells me a lot. 6 more and you would be retired...the fact you have decided to move on must mean it is something you feel is right. (the "easier" move would be to stay in for 6 more yrs) I don't know if I'm making sense here..

I guess what I'm trying to say here is do what is right for you. 2 yrs after injury i am still coming to terms with the new "me"....but it is time to do this for yourself....

Good Luck

Greenne,
Thanks for your input. I understand completely what you were saying. Yes, there sometimes comes a time in one's life when a decision must be made which can change everything. I've done a lot of soul-searching during the last year, but in fact my medical issues have truly made the decision for me. But I am alright with this. And you are right, it is time to do what is right for me---Life goes on. Thanks.

Batcheej,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but as you can imagine I've been dealing with all these issues of the MEB, etc. It does look like we are in the same boat with respect to many things, and it certainly helps emotionally/mentally to know another person is going through similar issues. There have been so many times I have felt alone in all this--thank God for this website. So far my local command has also been behind me---I only hope they continue since it seems I will be in the system for some time. I've come close to ending the pursuit of my rights by just looking for any way out, but I know I must hang in there, not only for what is best for me, but for future military members. It's a fight--and I can't and won't give up!--At this point in time though my PCM has requested the MEB (I should have received last year) I now have to wait for ANOTHER LOD before they can properly submit the MEB. The last one took 2 months!-THEN I can wait for the MEB's decision whether to move me on to the PEB, which I have no confidence they will do so. But I am preparing for such an event in case it happens. I know I have numerous issues which do not meet "retention standards" but like you it is something some doctors don't agree on. The PEB is the goal----at this point it is all I think about. From there we will see.------Stay in touch and let me know what happens with you ok.