MEB Starting

dlust85

PEB Forum Regular Member
I placed this as a blog , but just figured out how to post in the forums.

I feel very fortunate to have found this site, a huge wealth of info and great advice. I have found a few posts similar to my situation, but not quite the same, so I am hoping for advice,guidance and flat out tell me what you would do from any and all of you.
My doc said last week that he has to start a MEB (total hip replacement in july 08). I will have 22 years in 2 months. I just pinned on E-7 Sep 08, so would need to stay in through Sep 2010 to retire at that grade, but Im scared this MEB will not allow me to reach that goal. What I have in my favor is the following.
1. My job is Dental Lab, not much physically required
2. I maxed out the PT test with 100%, but that was just waist,push-ups, and sit-ups, since I can't run, which is actually the only negative.
3. My Doctor,and Commander say they would like to keep me as long as possible
I am understanding that it would be better for me to just retire asap w/o being MEB'd and then make a VA claim. I am thinking the MEB can go either way, basically at the mercy of how they feel that day when reviewing my case???
I would love to just be RTDuty and retire in 1 1/2 yrs, but is that likely?
I also have other medical issues such as HBP controlled with meds, a knee replacement 10 years ago, achilles repair in 2005, OSA treated with mouthpiece, Sarcoid which was treated in 2006 and all clear... Supposedly that was the cause of the hip problem(AVN). Well I know this is a long blog, but I felt all this should be included to help you all see the whole picture and better discuss my situation with me. Thanks for any and all replies, responses, thoughts, whatever you like. Thanks D.

D,

Welcome!

My doc said last week that he has to start a MEB (total hip replacement in july 08). I will have 22 years in 2 months. I just pinned on E-7 Sep 08, so would need to stay in through Sep 2010 to retire at that grade, but Im scared this MEB will not allow me to reach that goal.
If retired for disability, your retired pay will be calculated based on your retired base pay (High-3 average) when you are retired. So, staying in till you are at two years will only be important to increasing that average by virtue of having received more pay until that date.

What I have in my favor is the following.
1. My job is Dental Lab, not much physically required
2. I maxed out the PT test with 100%, but that was just waist,push-ups, and sit-ups, since I can't run, which is actually the only negative.
3. My Doctor,and Commander say they would like to keep me as long as possible
All of this indicates that you should be found fit and returned to duty.

I am understanding that it would be better for me to just retire asap w/o being MEB'd and then make a VA claim.
Not sure why this would be so. Given my earlier explanation of retired base pay, your actual best outcome from a compensation point of view is to stay on duty as long as possible (this is taking into account likely outcome of percentage and the interaction with VA compensation...perhaps if you were to do better than your years times 2.5% for your actual disability award, from a strictly DoD compensation, you may do better; you also need to consider if you plan on working after you retire and the relative value of your likely salary post-military).

I am thinking the MEB can go either way, basically at the mercy of how they feel that day when reviewing my case???
The facts matter. Remember, the MEB can only find that you meet or fail retention standards. If you meet them, then you continue your career, but the PEB makes the final determination if you, in fact, fail retention standards.

I would love to just be RTDuty and retire in 1 1/2 yrs, but is that likely?
I also have other medical issues such as HBP controlled with meds, a knee replacement 10 years ago, achilles repair in 2005, OSA treated with mouthpiece, Sarcoid which was treated in 2006 and all clear... Supposedly that was the cause of the hip problem(AVN).

It is possible that, cumulatively, all these conditions, in addition to your hip replacement, means that you are unfit. But if you can perform well, with minor limitations, you are probably fit. This is bolstered by your command and your doctors support. Another issue to consider is if you apply for retirement and it is approved before the MEB is initiated (may take talking to your doctor to get a delay in the MEB initiation), you may then be presumed fit, and therefore be more likely to be able to continue your career until later than would be possible through a PEB. This takes a consideration of the juggling of the timing of the retirement under normal processing and under the PEB. It is a bit of a guess as to how long the PEB may take to complete. It may all be a wash, but these are the considerations.

Hope this is helpful! Best of luck.

Thank you sooooo much Jason for your reply and info. You can only imagine how helpful and enlightening you are to all of us going through this gut-wrenching time of our careers. Thank you so much.
Well my doc is/was being cooperative as far as me just retiring, but I still have a service commitment for another 1 1/2 years, so it looks like I will wind up meeting the board.
i will continue to look through the forums here to try and get questions answered as they come up as I'm sure if I look I will find the answers here.
I think that I will have the option for regular retirement or disability retirement if the MEB forwards me to the PEB and they decide to discharge me???
A million more questions come up after this but probably can't be answered until I reach that point I guess. At least now I don't feel like I will lose my 20 plus years towards retirement and VA benefits no matter if the board decides to RTD or retire me? unles the give me a 0% rating. I am still not clear if they would rate me for all my medical issues or just the boardable issue(hip). I've seen conflicting things here and elsewhere on that. Then can the VA help me or not? Sorry for going on so much, I thought I was just gonna come in and thank you for your help...Thanks again. D