bekk_518

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm 22, Female, Active Duty, SPC w/ 3 yrs and counting. Been dealing with severe anxiety and have been in treatment for a year now. I've been on 11 different meds to include: anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and sleep meds (ambien). Seen numerous counselors, chaplains, psychologists, and a few psychiatrists and have Finally gotten a steady psychologist I see regularly for the past 4 months now. My Command team tried for a Chapter 5-17 but was denied with the answer "my condition has lasted longer than the allotted 6 month window for this type of separation." I was diagnosed with Adjustment disorder w/ depression and anxiety back in OCT 2014, However I do not know the extend of which the doctors have it listed (how do I find out??). My psychologist started the Med board process and my COC and the leading Psychiatrist are all on board with it. At this point I'm not sure what to expect or what all I need to do on my end. Here is the timeline that I have:

Diagnosed: OCT 2014
-countless meds and counseling-
Chapter 5-17: ~ JUN 15
Chapter denied: ~ AUG 15
Permanent Profile start date: 10 SEP 15
NARSUM Phone interview: 1 OCT 15
Submitted my paperwork to the clerk that handles Med boards at Clark Clinic: ~ 21 OCT 15
Received e-mail assigning my PEBLO and the following appts: 26 OCT 15
VA Brief / Initial PEBLO Brief: 25 NOV 15
Legal Brief/SFAC/VOC Rehab/AW2 Brief, MEB Provider Brief, MEB-PEB Brief, VA Claim: 30 NOV 15

That is all I'm currently aware of. I have yet to get in contact with my PEBLO but I have so many questions. I've been told the process can take 9-12 months which I'm prepared for but I have a family to take care of and have concerns; like the possibility of being found unfit and getting a 30% rating, making sure we are set once it's over, the actually moving back to NY, and not being stuck here in limbo.

The best case scenario for me is being found unfit with at least a 30% rating, what's the likelihood of that? I've read a bunch of forums and other peoples stories but it varies from some saying AD is not normally found unfit to being found unfit for duty and some even saying it's not a med boardable condition. Since I'm already here I take it it is but still can't shake the feeling of worry and stress of not knowing during this long process.

I do have other conditions I will be claiming, that being said how does that work? Do I bring these up during the exam and will I need to bring paperwork as proof if everything has been treated on post it should already be in my records? And how does the rating scheme work, are all conditions that are found unfit given a percentage then it's all added up for a total rating? Any advice is Greatly Appreciated!!!!

I'll do my best to answer the questions you have asked. You appear to have a pretty good grasp on the process and your upcoming briefings next week should fill in quite a bit of the pieces to the puzzle.

1.) The likelieness of a 30% rating for a single conditon is going to come down to your function limitations as listed by the VA C&P evaluator. Here is a link to the criteria for rating behavioral health diagnosis http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_130.doc

2.) Yes adjustment disorder in itself is not considered a boardable conditon, however at this time, AD should not be on the table for you. The conditions has lasted for greater than six months (as you have already stated) and is now considered "chronic". Chronic adjustment disorder is considered an "unfitting condition" if interferes with your ability to perform your duties or affects your military performance.

3.) I was found unfit due to the condition(s) of Chronic Adjustment Disorder and Generlized Anxeity Disorder, so hopefully this will help reduce some of the anxeity and stress that you are currently facing due to the uncertainty that lies ahead.

4.) As far as the other conditions you are going to claim with the VA, it is a very good idea to get all of your medical records and start making a list. You will be assigned a MSC from the VA who will look at your entire medical history (as is shows in the computer) but he/she may not get the entire picture of your health. Make sure when the two of you talk, that you are able to claim every single condition that occured during, or was aggravated during your entitelment to active duty pay. Typically you do not sit down face-to-face with the MSC.

5.) You will also have an appointment with a MEB physician (may also be a PA) who will basically represent the military as far as your medical conditons are concerned. The MEB physician will too look through your medical records and go over your medical history with you, the MEB physician prepares what is called a narrative summary (NARSUM) which will let the MEB know whether or not you should be referred to the PEB for a fity for duty determination.

The ratings scheme will be explained during your briefing with the MEB JAG, but basically it works like this, you will be getting two ratings during this process, they may be the same, or they may be different.

The first rating that you will get is for your "unfitting" conditions (conditions that do not meet retention standards per AR 40-501) quite often in this process, the MEB/PEB will only look at ONE condition during this process, however by regualtion they must look at all conditons when determining fitness, you can be found unfit even with a 0% rating here. Ratings of 0%-10%-20% will result in severance from the military, ratings of 30% or greater will result in medical retiement. This can be one conditon or the combination of more than one unfitting condition.

The second rating you will get is your comoensation and pension rating (this is from the VA) and it is basically the sum of all conditions rated.

The conditions are added up and given a single percentage, however the way percentages are added is often misunderstood by most people. If you have three conditions, say one at 50%, one at 30% and one at 20%, this does not equal 100%. The actualy add up to 72% which will round down to 70%.

This is how it works, you start of with 100%. 50% of 100% is 50%, now you are working with 50%. 30% of 50% is 35%, Now you are working with 35%. 20% of 35% is 28%, subtract that from 100% and you get 72% which rounds down to 70%. Here is a calculator that you can use online http://www.vvaarizona.org/combined_disability.php

I'm 22, Female, Active Duty, SPC w/ 3 yrs and counting. Been dealing with severe anxiety and have been in treatment for a year now. I've been on 11 different meds to include: anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and sleep meds (ambien). Seen numerous counselors, chaplains, psychologists, and a few psychiatrists and have Finally gotten a steady psychologist I see regularly for the past 4 months now. My Command team tried for a Chapter 5-17 but was denied with the answer "my condition has lasted longer than the allotted 6 month window for this type of separation." I was diagnosed with Adjustment disorder w/ depression and anxiety back in OCT 2014, However I do not know the extend of which the doctors have it listed (how do I find out??). My psychologist started the Med board process and my COC and the leading Psychiatrist are all on board with it. At this point I'm not sure what to expect or what all I need to do on my end. Here is the timeline that I have:

Diagnosed: OCT 2014
-countless meds and counseling-
Chapter 5-17: ~ JUN 15
Chapter denied: ~ AUG 15
Permanent Profile start date: 10 SEP 15
NARSUM Phone interview: 1 OCT 15
Submitted my paperwork to the clerk that handles Med boards at Clark Clinic: ~ 21 OCT 15
Received e-mail assigning my PEBLO and the following appts: 26 OCT 15
VA Brief / Initial PEBLO Brief: 25 NOV 15
Legal Brief/SFAC/VOC Rehab/AW2 Brief, MEB Provider Brief, MEB-PEB Brief, VA Claim: 30 NOV 15

That is all I'm currently aware of. I have yet to get in contact with my PEBLO but I have so many questions. I've been told the process can take 9-12 months which I'm prepared for but I have a family to take care of and have concerns; like the possibility of being found unfit and getting a 30% rating, making sure we are set once it's over, the actually moving back to NY, and not being stuck here in limbo.

The best case scenario for me is being found unfit with at least a 30% rating, what's the likelihood of that? I've read a bunch of forums and other peoples stories but it varies from some saying AD is not normally found unfit to being found unfit for duty and some even saying it's not a med boardable condition. Since I'm already here I take it it is but still can't shake the feeling of worry and stress of not knowing during this long process.

I do have other conditions I will be claiming, that being said how does that work? Do I bring these up during the exam and will I need to bring paperwork as proof if everything has been treated on post it should already be in my records? And how does the rating scheme work, are all conditions that are found unfit given a percentage then it's all added up for a total rating? Any advice is Greatly Appreciated!!!!
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, since the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is a performance-based system, one important factor is the impact of all medical conditions affecting the military service member's ability to "reasonably perform duties of his or her office, grade, rank or rating."

As such, I would like to direct your attention to my PEB Forum URL thread for a detailed explanation about the entire DoD IDES process as follows:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/a-detailed-explanation-of-the-dod-ides-meb-peb-process.22807/

To that extent, please remain "positively proactive" while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process! For sure, never default acceptance to any injustices; fight then continue to fight some more until receipt of your desired expectations supportive via medical evidence and/or medical documentation!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

After a boat load of briefings and appointments things have become a lot clearer. Gsfowler Thank you for breaking it down for me. I have received a good deal of my paperwork or copies of it and found my MEB condition is:
'Chronic Adjustment Disorder w/ Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood'.

I've done my VA Claim (awaiting exam), met briefly with my PEBLO and now it's just attending VA and MEB appointments spread across the next month as well as beginning ACAP'ing. At this point they say 99% of people who are in the MEB process get out because the military doesn't need us, which in my case I'm ok with that I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things in life. And currently the minimum timeframe is 6 months but shoot for 7-9 months PLUS up to 90 days to include clearing and terminal leave at my Commander's discretion.

My other conditions for the VA Claim included:
Migraines & Dry Eye Syndrome (both as a result of PRK surgery)
Insomnia & Sleep Disturbances (recently put back on ambien by psychiatrist)
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
(left knee)
and a toe condition that requires minor surgery, just waiting for the referral to go through

All conditions have a paper trail in my medical records and I am awaiting individual appointments for them and the exam. The VA liaison explained how the VA ratings work in one of the briefings and it makes sense to me now.

Hey everyone I Have some questions. I was enlisted in the Air Force at 17 years old and was separated after only 2 weeks atBMT. I was separated for adjustment disorder and anxiety. I was doing a PT test and had some pain in my sternum which caused me to be taken to the hospital and to be put in med hold. Nothing was found wrong and I believe it was due to not working out over a long period of time then jumping back into it. But while in Med hold I had people saying that I would be disqualified and that made me very upset because all I wanted was to be in the military So someone told me to go to BAS. I did and said I was depressed due to my situation and I began doubting the military would work out and that I was very anxious. So they sent me to the hospital and I was to be separated. So now I am in the Police Explorers and im dreaming of becoming an Officer. But im concerned my separation will affect my ability to become an Officer even though I have no issues with depression or stress anymore. Can someone give me some advice?

Hey everyone I Have some questions. I was enlisted in the Air Force at 17 years old and was separated after only 2 weeks atBMT. I was separated for adjustment disorder and anxiety. I was doing a PT test and had some pain in my sternum which caused me to be taken to the hospital and to be put in med hold. Nothing was found wrong and I believe it was due to not working out over a long period of time then jumping back into it. But while in Med hold I had people saying that I would be disqualified and that made me very upset because all I wanted was to be in the military So someone told me to go to BAS. I did and said I was depressed due to my situation and I began doubting the military would work out and that I was very anxious. So they sent me to the hospital and I was to be separated. So now I am in the Police Explorers and im dreaming of becoming an Officer. But im concerned my separation will affect my ability to become an Officer even though I have no issues with depression or stress anymore. Can someone give me some advice?

I cannot say whether or not a single depressive diagnosis will disqualify you from a career as a police officer, you may want to do some research regarding this issue.

Since you were separated after only two weeks, it is very likely you received a entry level discharge, uncharacterized service.

My advice is to be upfront and honest if you are seeking a career i law enforcement.

How did this wind up working for you?
I don't believe he is active anymore on this forum. The post you are responding to was last active 7 years ago. You may want to find a more recent post or create a new one if you have any questions.