medical retirement at 25 years

I have an approved retirement date of 1 Feb 09. AFter seeing the doctor about a cronic back problem I am now code 37 and facing an MEB. I'm almost sure they will medically retire me due to the fact I have a degenerated disk between my L4 and L5. From all my research, I have nothing to gain by being medically retired versus retiring normally (after 20 years). It sounds like I will just lose the time (PTDY, 60 days of terminal) to prepare myself for the civilian world. I keep seeing bad stories about the boards just dropping a rediculous DOS on you, giving you only weeks to find a home or a job. Is there a minimum amount of days they HAVE to give you to prepare your life before the DOS?

James,

Welcome, good to have you here!

Per AFI 36-3212, this is the processing time for disability retirement:
"5.19.3. HQ AFPC/DPPD will establish disability separation and retirement dates as follows:
5.19.3.1. For members serving at CONUS locations, date of separation or retirement will be
established as 40 days from date of Secretary of the Air Force (SAF) Memorandum (SAF) approving the separation or retirement;
5.19.3.2. For members serving overseas, date of separation or retirement will be established as 60 days from date of SAF Memo;
5.19.3.3. For ARC members, date of separation or retirement will be established as 27 days from date of SAF Memo."

As far as advantages to a military disability retirement once you have passed 20 years of service, you can do better than a LOS retirement strictly within the DoD compensation system (you would need to get to 70% rating to beat the 62.5% you would get under your LOS minimum calculation). However, for the vast majority of members, once you factor in the relationship between DoD and VA compensation (especially CRDP, which will be limited to the amount of your years of service times 2.5% times retired base pay) you may very well not do any better than with the LOS retirement. You should run the numbers before making a decision based on this (and understanding that you have to make some assumptions about what VA rating you will ultimately get).

Remember, though, that with a LOS service retirement already processing, you will fall under the Presumption of Fitness rule, which will make an unfit finding that more difficult to get to. It can be done, but it is harder.