Medical Retirement Pay For Reservists

rockymtnmama

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am looking at 99.9% being medically retired with 17 years (10 active) in the Army Reserves. I already receive 80% disability from the VA and awaiting my NARSUM. My question is.....has anyone been medically retired from the Army Reserves and receive retirement pay? Is it true that you get the % of active duty base pay that you are rated at for disability (ie. if you were found 40% disabled by the Army you would receive 40% of your high 3 upon retirement). I have heard many different things about the retirement pay and would like to hear from someone that is actually receiving it.

I am just really concerned because I rely on my monthly Army Reserve pay and need to plan if that is not the case.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you very much Jason. I feel more at ease now about being forced out of the Army altogether.

Yes, if you are retired, whether from active duty or the reserve components, the calculation is the same (with the only difference being how the High-36 is calculated for certain reservists). For pay calculation, see this file: DoDFMR Chapter 7b (Computation of Retired Pay) - Downloads - Physical Evaluation Board Forum

I am new to the forum and assume that there is probably a lot of info for me to search for.

But with regards to VA disability rating, 22 yrs Reserve duty (about 5600 point with 20 yr letter, medical board MEB, and then retirement.

If I am a reservist with over twenty good years, if I am forced to go through a board and then get a high enough rating, If I am found medically unfit, what happens?
1. a. would I receive disability compensation? ( i am not talking VA compensation)
a.1 When? how old would I have to be to get it?

2. Would I then be able to draw my regular reserve retirement at 60 (with 5600 points)

3. Could I then receive both of these at the same time?

4. Would I also be able to receive VA disability benefits at the same time?

I would think that this has been asked many times, sorry I coulcnt find it.

J

medically retired do I get the disability