Medical retirement requirements

Good afternoon
This is my first ever post and I am hoping someone can answer my question. I did 11 years active duty and went straight into the Reserves. When I got off of active duty I applied for VA compensation in which I got. I am I have been in the Reserves for 6 years and have been found NPQ due to conditions I am already being compensated for from my active duty time. I requested a peb to try for the magical 30% to get medically retired. Do I need an LOD? Do I need any type of proof stating that the Reserves aggravated my conditions?

Is the new complaint for something different? An LOD gives you close to a slam dunk case.

When i got iff acive duty i was service connected for anxiety, and migraines. I have been found npq for the same issue in the reserves.

Is the new complaint for something different? An LOD gives you close to a slam dunk case.
When i got iff acive duty i was service connected for anxiety, and migraines. I have been found npq for the same issue in the reserves.

Hi Greg,
If Reserve Duty had aggravated previous documented service conditions then an Line of Duty document LOD form ( 2173) should be initiated by your Medical Readiness NCO. If not, i think you can take the form to the VA & have a (VA provider) note “ soldiers previous ( xyz) has been aggravated by current service requirements” (but i may be wrong). Hopeing someone from the forum will jump in and go over this with you as well. Ive seen similar discussions on the forum under the forum drop down section...

I would pursue the LOD for service aggravation and document all communication from here on out. If you meet with someone, send them an email and "clarify" everything you have discussed after the meeting(s). You don't know what non-medical evidence you may need until your LODs/MEB gets lost or never accomplished. I agree you should see your VA provider to document how your condition has been worsening/frequency and pain level, assuming it has if you have been in the Reserves for 6 years and they are just now designating NPQ. In my experience with VA providers, you tell them what you want and need. The fact the VA has established service connection for your migraines should make your LOD easy (or easily contested), but that always depends on the work ethic and competence of the ones working them.

I would pursue the LOD for service aggravation and document all communication from here on out. If you meet with someone, send them an email and "clarify" everything you have discussed after the meeting(s). You don't know what non-medical evidence you may need until your LODs/MEB gets lost or never accomplished. I agree you should see your VA provider to document how your condition has been worsening/frequency and pain level, assuming it has if you have been in the Reserves for 6 years and they are just now designating NPQ. In my experience with VA providers, you tell them what you want and need. The fact the VA has established service connection for your migraines should make your LOD easy (or easily contested), but that always depends on the work ethic and competence of the ones working them.
I am contacting my reserve medical department this morning to see if they sent my package to the peb yet. I am going to ask if it’s too late to have my va provider fill out and LOD and submit it with my package. I have documented that I’ve had to leave drill due to panic attacks or not show up at all because of migraines. I guess I thought that would be enough evidence but I guess it’s always better to have more.

So, I was just told by my medical department that I do not need an LOD because the conditions that I have been found NPQ for were on my separation physical from active duty. I’m not sure why that matters because I’ve already been service connected by the VA. I understand that is separate from DOD ratings but service connected is service connected I would think.

So, I was just told by my medical department that I do not need an LOD because the conditions that I have been found NPQ for were on my separation physical from active duty. I’m not sure why that matters because I’ve already been service connected by the VA. I understand that is separate from DOD ratings but service connected is service connected I would think.
I agree--service connection is service connection, but the bureaucracy has their own processes/agenda. I was told about a time when the Navy did that (a long time ago, apparently)--if it happened in service, it happened in service, regardless if it was OTJ or a keg of beer fell on your foot. A LOD was not needed and care was given, even regardless if EPTS-- if the Navy accepted you, they gave you care. It makes sense, but when it comes to medical processing now, I believe it is "the demise of military integrity" https://warontherocks.com/2015/03/lying-to-ourselves-the-demise-of-military-integrity/ .

I am glad you don't need the LOD--one less headache.

Hi Greg,
Most Reserve Component soldiers will require an LOD as they process through the MEB. It would not hurt to get an LOD for all conditions incurred on AD ( if you do not) need it great. I would place that request in email to your Flight Surgeons office or NGB ( just for verification). As an example i had medical issues while on active duty. Years later while an RC soldier those medical conditions required an LOD...Please read through the Forums link on this site and you will find regs pertaining to this issue, as well as other Reserve Component soldiers who have been placed in a MEB...Does the NPQ acronym mean an active duty MEB or medical discharge not in the line of duty???

I have a similar issue i would like some advice on. I have 10 years active duty and was forced out under a rif in 1995 (yes, I am old). After 20 years I realized I could go back to the Air National Guard to finish my 10 years and get my retirement. Recently I have had some medical issues that I am concerned will end my career and I will lose retirement again. I went to the Doctor for a back issue and when they took xrays found that I have 3 arteries with blockages (both carotid are 50% blocked and the left main aorta is 60% blocked). After taking several tests, including a sleep study, I have been told that I have sever sleep apnea also. I have a total of 15 years now and, of course, would like to not lose out on my retirement. I dont know if these issues are career ending or not but if so, will it be a medical retirement or just medical discharge and I lose everything?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hey Dj, i understand the conundrum. Are the conditions you speak of service related? Have you had any 2173’s ( LOD’s) completed by your unit the medical detachment usually sourced to complete ( LOD’s)? I understand the previous soldier indicated he did not need an LOD for AD injuries, however that was not the case for me....so i am not sure of the correct answer for that. My initial service connected injuries occurred whilr i was in the Reserves in 1981...and i know of no-one from that time period who had ever heard of LOD’s. The military can have you exit several ways. One would be for non duty related medical issues, a service related medical condition (could place) you in an AD Medical Evaluation board ( MEB) & the Service used to have 15 year retirements ( not sure) if that is still exists
It will all depend on your situation. Look at the drop down list from this site, thier are specific service related issues dicussed , as LOD issues discussed....Do you have any VA rated conditions?

Thank you for your input sir. I have not had any LOD's written at this time. I do have a VA rating of 60% but the Guard has not had any issue with it. I am ignorant to the LOD process. All I have heard from everyone is to not let it happen. That it is a bad thing.

Also, I just found out of all this over the past two weeks and have been keeping it quiet so far.

Thanks for your input!!

Sorry, I did not answer all of your questions. The only thing that would be service related would be the back issues. They are really aggravated by exercise but I just push through to not have any issues with PT.

Thanks again!!

Hey Dj, Lay low for now, get all your medical records squared away and ready ( if you need them). A lot of Reserve and AD were rifted back in the day...I am a female
( but no worries) just here to help. So a lot of back issues can be ...( referred pain) from cardiac. Each individual presents differently when cardiac signs and symptoms but back pain is a common referred pain syndrome 2/2 cardiac issues..I Do not want to be nosy but is the 60 % VA rating related to your back...currently a lot of soldiers are getting MEB’s 2/2 conditions that affect their ability to be deployed...Jason Perry places a lot of current DOD regs and articles at this sight so read through them to educate yourself....Truthfully carotid & aorta occlusions put you at high risk and most likely you cannot deploy...but like I said, just get everything you may need together to prepare for an MEB ( medical records) LOD’s. Today under IDES/ MEB the services look to the VA ratings to decide your disability. If you were rated at 60% through the AF MEB that would give you a service retirement, ID card, and medical through Tricare...and this includes your family. Your military retirement would be your base pay x years of service. But that will depend on when you came in service. Please look up ( the formula) on the MEB portion of this site..It is my hope that if you need to leave service you can be Service Connected and MED Board out through an MEB at least with your 60% rating. If you can speak to a MEB attny about your issues that would help...Jason Perry ( author/ creator )of Pebforum would be a great source for you to reach out to....

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry ma'am! Thank you for your advice. My only issue with laying low is that my personal health assessment questionnaire is coming up in September. That's when the rubber meets the road so to say.

The 60% I collect is not for my back. It is for headaches, sleep disturbances, knee and tinnitus.