Medically Separated/SLRP program questions

pleasenottrump

Registered Member
I was involuntarily medically separated May 18th, 2016. I had only been in the Navy for roughly two years. I entered the Navy with the Student Loan Repayment Program my encentive in lieu of a bonus. The loans were to be paid over 3 years at 33.33% of the balance (minus interest) each year with a 6 year contract.

After speaking with a rep at the VA recently, he told me that since I was separated with 30%, I would be able to use my full Post-9/11 GI Bill in addition to going after the the Navy for the unpayed/prorated portion of my loans.

My questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone had a similar situation to mine? If so, go did you deal with it?

2. Does anyone know/understand if the Post 9/11 GI bill and SLRP are separate entities and benefits?

3. Is it possible to get the Navy to repay my loans even though I'm not longer active?

4. Does anyone know who a good POC would be for this issue?

Thank you any and all help!

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was involuntarily medically separated May 18th, 2016. I had only been in the Navy for roughly two years. I entered the Navy with the Student Loan Repayment Program my encentive in lieu of a bonus. The loans were to be paid over 3 years at 33.33% of the balance (minus interest) each year with a 6 year contract.

After speaking with a rep at the VA recently, he told me that since I was separated with 30%, I would be able to use my full Post-9/11 GI Bill in addition to going after the the Navy for the unpayed/prorated portion of my loans.

My questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone had a similar situation to mine? If so, go did you deal with it?

2. Does anyone know/understand if the Post 9/11 GI bill and SLRP are separate entities and benefits?

3. Is it possible to get the Navy to repay my loans even though I'm not longer active?

4. Does anyone know who a good POC would be for this issue?

Thank you any and all help!
1. Yes, I used my entire SLRP while I was in the MEB process, I had more than 6 years on active duty and they pay my loans 100%. I thought that they would pay the 1/3 per year over three years, but they way it worked was the loans had to be at least one year old at the time of the SLRP award, then they would pay 1/3 a year over 3 years. There is no recoup if they pay the loans in full and you are medically discharged before the six years of service.

2. Post 9/11 and SLRP are seperate and have nothing to do with each other.

3. No, the Navy will not pay a penny of the loans once you are discharged. This is a benefit for you while you are under contract.

4. As far as the VA goes (Post 9/11) you can do everything on www.gibill.va.gov As far as the Navy is concerned, you are out and there is no longer a POC.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">