Mental Heath Addendum!

Mr. Adam

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
USMC CPL 3 1/2 years in service

So, my case manager says I need an addendum from my psychiatrist, but when I ask my shrink about it, he says that the psychiatrist I had seen before him put in her notes before she got re-stationed that an addendum wasn't warranted. He said because in one part of the notes that my psychologist wrote 2 years ago she wrote that I had taken anti depressants prior to my enlistment, she found my psychiatric conditions to be pre-existing (Anxiety disorder, PTSD, Major Depression, insomnia etc.). Having never stated that, this leaves me quite worried that I won't get compensated for my conditions that came about after I got back from my deployment to Iraq.

Can these entries be challenged?

What does a psych addendum look like?

Who writes and signs this document?

Any help with these questions would be great. Thanks

Yes, they can be challenged. It seems clear that the EPTS (Existed Prior to Service) finding is insufficient based on what you stated. Your condition is presumed to be incurred while entitled to basic pay and if that presumption is overcome, your condition is presumed to be service aggravated.

You will want to request an impartial review of your MEB, and then rebut it if the MEB report states your condition is EPTS.

The psych addendum should cover everything in a normal report, including all of the information from the applicable VA disability worksheet. The dictating doctor signs it. (Should be a psychiatrist).

Thank you so much, Jason. Your prompt response to my post is greatly appreciated. I was just wondering if they do in fact come back with EPTS finding, how much weight will my rebuttal carry? Will it just be my word against theirs?

Also, can notes written in AHLTA be edited or deleted by the person that wrote them after they are input into the database?

Thank you, in advance.