Mentioned suicide attempt before I joined to BH

RW3

Registered Member
I went to behavioral health a few years ago and talked about how I had a suicide attempt before I joined the military. I also mentioned some medications I had been on. I never disclosed any of this when I joined. I currently see BH now for depression. How will that affect my rating getting out? Is this something I should be honest with my PEBLO about?

I have an MEB coming up for cancer metastasizing, which I had before I joined and did disclose. Since I don't have 8 years in it's sounding like I won't receive any ratings for it.

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
First go to the records office of your clinic and see what they wrote in your ALTHA notes. If they didnt write it down then I wouldn't mention it

RW3

Registered Member
It's in there. I've seen different BH providers and they have asked about it on the first appointment.

SSGMB

Registered Member
Your best bet is to be honest, but just limit what you say. Only tell them what they ask.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Be honest! When providers know you are being dishonest they tend to think you are exaggerating your conditions in order to get "undeserved benefits." A condition that Existed Prior To Service does no in itself make you ineligible for benefits. Any condition exacerbated by service, even though it EPTS is still eligible for compensation. You may want to retain counsel because your case will likely be more complex.