MS and the PEB

cberry2017

Registered Member
Couldnt find this anywhere, so forgive me if I am asking what has been answered;

I have 9 years in the Army reserves, deployed Afghanistan in 2010, March 2016 I was diagnosed with MS through the VA. July of 2016 I was rated 60% and given a monthly treatment plan. January this year my brigade sent down direction for every soldier recieving a disability check to turn over proof of their percentage. With that information went the break-down of the percentages. 2 days ago a case manager for the PEB contacted me and stated I had 4 choices for my career; retire if I am at 20 years, retire early if I have 15 years worth of retirement points, discharge, or fight it. I asked as to why medical retirement wasnt an option and was told the Army did cause my MS and I dont have an LOD for treatment on duty. Can anyone help me out with some advice? I feel like if the VA, who does everything in their power to pass blame, is saying my MS is service connected and the only service I was in is the Army, isnt the Army partly to blame? Any information or advice helps. Thanks much.

Ok, yours is going to be one of those situations were words really matter.

Did the VA really say your MS is service-connected? Or is it that it was service-aggravated?

MS is one of those things that scientists still disagree what the true cause is. However, since you were past your 8th year in service, even genetic conditions are considered service-aggravated, due to the presumption of fitness. As a side note, I'm not sure if this applies due to being in the reserves, but its what it would be for active duty.

The question now comes, is your MS preventing your military service?

Ok, yours is going to be one of those situations were words really matter.

Did the VA really say your MS is service-connected? Or is it that it was service-aggravated?

MS is one of those things that scientists still disagree what the true cause is. However, since you were past your 8th year in service, even genetic conditions are considered service-aggravated, due to the presumption of fitness. As a side note, I'm not sure if this applies due to being in the reserves, but its what it would be for active duty.

The question now comes, is your MS preventing your military service?

I got my claim in for the MS within the 7 year limit for it to be service connected. It really only prevents me from going anywhere where the medication wont be available. I can still pass APFT; it really comes down to how bad the condition is THAT day. I work law enforcement civilian side and it hasnt prevented me from going to work considering im wearing a vest and other gear for 10 hours.

Well then with all those facts in mind, a MEB wouldn't be proper for you. Your condition isn't preventing your military service.

Thanks for your help. Reading their notice of disqualification again, the reserves likes to make everything complicated. So they are giving me the option to go to a PEB, but otherwise i have to medically discharge. I apprently do not get medical retirement because of the lack of a line of duty injury report for my MS. Obviously I should have waited for drill weekend to see a doctor.