MS Rating Question

ITOkie

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been diagnosed with MS, and will likely be headed to MEB pretty soon. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. First, would it be safe to say that the entire process will likely take 12-18 months being in that I will have to undergo many examinations? I imagine it depends on my symptoms, which leads me to my next question. I have a lot of symptoms going on and I have reviewed the ratings table for neurological issues but many things are unclear. If someone could give me a rough idea on the associated rating dissabilty in accordance to my symptoms that would be great.
1. MS - I know this is a minimum 30% which is ridiculous.
2. Extreme pain in both hands. I can barely use my left hand and the right is almost as bad. Just typing this email and things like washing my hair are becoming challenging. I would think this is pretty severe and not mild. It is the reason I am no longer able to due my duties. Not sure of %.
3. Pain in feet - I can walk but nothing farther than a parking lot. Running is no longer possible. Not sure about this one either. Anytime my body core temp rises my body just goes either numb or painful pins and needles.
4. Urge to pee- at least every couple of hours regardless if I have anything. I think this is 20%
5. Vertigo- this is a new symptom and is happening often. I have no idea what the % is.
6. Fatigue - I'm having issues with complete lack of energy, unable to remember things, unable to concentrate or have in depth conversations, social anxiety, and even hearing loss. I'm not sure about any of this stuff.

I'm really worried about this as I have a family I'm financially responsible for. I have 9 years AD with multiple degrees, but feel like nobody will want to hire me. I can't work in the heat and I can barely use my (one) hand. Any help would be great.

I have been diagnosed with MS, and will likely be headed to MEB pretty soon. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. First, would it be safe to say that the entire process will likely take 12-18 months being in that I will have to undergo many examinations? I imagine it depends on my symptoms, which leads me to my next question. I have a lot of symptoms going on and I have reviewed the ratings table for neurological issues but many things are unclear. If someone could give me a rough idea on the associated rating dissabilty in accordance to my symptoms that would be great.

1. MS - I know this is a minimum 30% which is ridiculous.
2. Extreme pain in both hands. I can barely use my left hand and the right is almost as bad. Just typing this email and things like washing my hair are becoming challenging. I would think this is pretty severe and not mild. It is the reason I am no longer able to due my duties. Not sure of %.
3. Pain in feet - I can walk but nothing farther than a parking lot. Running is no longer possible. Not sure about this one either. Anytime my body core temp rises my body just goes either numb or painful pins and needles.
4. Urge to pee- at least every couple of hours regardless if I have anything. I think this is 20%
5. Vertigo- this is a new symptom and is happening often. I have no idea what the % is.
6. Fatigue - I'm having issues with complete lack of energy, unable to remember things, unable to concentrate or have in depth conversations, social anxiety, and even hearing loss. I'm not sure about any of this stuff.

I'm really worried about this as I have a family I'm financially responsible for. I have 9 years AD with multiple degrees, but feel like nobody will want to hire me. I can't work in the heat and I can barely use my (one) hand. Any help would be great.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From my experiences within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process via an U.S. Army perspective, I offer the following responses:

Q1: MS - I know this is a minimum 30% which is ridiculous.
A1: In my opinion, it depends on severity of symptoms for a proposed rating.

Q2: Extreme pain in both hands. I can barely use my left hand and the right is almost as bad. Just typing this email and things like washing my hair are becoming challenging. I would think this is pretty severe and not mild. It is the reason I am no longer able to due my duties. Not sure of %.
A2: In my opinion, potentially a proposed rating of 10% for each hand.

Q3: Pain in feet - I can walk but nothing farther than a parking lot. Running is no longer possible. Not sure about this one either. Anytime my body core temp rises my body just goes either numb or painful pins and needles.
A3: In my opinion, potentially a proposed rating of 10% for each foot.

Q4: Urge to pee- at least every couple of hours regardless if I have anything. I think this is 20%.
A4: In my opinion, there's not enough information for potential proposed rating.

Q5: Vertigo- this is a new symptom and is happening often. I have no idea what the % is.
A5: In my opinion, there's not enough information for potential proposed rating.

Q6: Fatigue - I'm having issues with complete lack of energy, unable to remember things, unable to concentrate or have in depth conversations, social anxiety, and even hearing loss. I'm not sure about any of this stuff.
A6: In my opinion, there's not enough information for potential proposed rating.

Indeed, if you are truly unable to perform substantial gainful activity now and after military retirement/ separation, then you may want to consider and apply for SSA SSDI under their Wounded Warrior Program for expeditious processing.

Upon the successful award of a "disabled" determination by SSA SSDI criteria via the State DDS then it's not a permanent disability compensation federal program. SSA has special rules which allow you to work temporarily without losing your Social Security disability benefits and its called a Trial work period.

To that extent and for example, SSA's trial work period allows you to test your ability to work for at least nine months without losing benefits. As long as you remain disabled, you can get full Social Security disability benefits during those nine months no matter how much you earn. ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I am currently undergoing my second med board process for MS. The first one only took 5 months from start to finish because I was found "fit for continued Naval service." I was diagnosed and referred to meb in February of 2012 and was done in June 2012. Since then, I have had multiple attacks and relapses. Most of these included loss of vision in one or both eyes. All of them included severe fatigue and difficulties with balance and mobility.
An MS diagnosis is not always considered unfit. It depends on the length and severity of the illness. Since early 2013 I have officially been classified as RRMS (the most severe kind). I was found fit to continue service in 2012 because there simply wasn't enough evidence for them to make a sound determination.
As to the timeline question, I think it is similar to most other med board processes at this time. Goes along pretty quickly until VA rating time. Then slam the brakes and wait.
As far as ratings go, I have not been rated yet. Will follow up when the VA gets around to it.

Last edited:
I am going through this now. Ask any questions. ive been rated 30% for the MS. I was out of work for 6 months when it came on. Going through TYSABRI infusions currently.

ITOkie,
I'm sorry to hear about your illness. With MS and similar neuromuscular conditions there is a minimum (30 for MS) but the actual rating will be based on the symptoms caused, for example paralysis or partial paralysis created in each limb, loss of respiratory capacity.... If you are having difficulty walking very far your legs will each be rated.

There is a great website that helps Vets understand what they should be receving.
http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/index.html

Best wishes
Mike