My Timeline

Cobra67

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I've been popping in and out of this site for a few months now and never thought I'd make an account but decided to go share my timeline with other fellow marines who are roughing it through this same asinine process I am. Those just coming in, beware this is not a transparent process at all, as much as they told you IDES is. I have 7 1/2 years as an instructor and infantryman and have been able to get my bachelor's degree while in service so I can tell you I am ready, more than ready, to move on but this process is holding me back. But if the military needs you for duty or paperwork from you, be sure they will have it by close of business. I have literally had to do all the leg work myself because my PEBLO doesn't do the job the person is paid to do. From getting the narratives to letting my completed ready to be sent paperwork sit on the desk for a month, to contacting the VA, I have done everything to keep it moving. Once again beware if you are new to the process and hope to exit the service sometime in the next year.

My Timeline has been as follows:

February: Process Starts
March: Still waiting for PEBLO to set me up with VA counselor to get my C&P exams scheduled
April 4: Appointment to set up exams
April 11-15: Exams Complete
April 15-July 14: 3 months to get Narratives from doctors and MEB completion
July 14: Package signed for and everything sent to PEB
September 14: Found unfit, package sent to VA from PEB

Date currently: October 21- still waiting, still can't get in touch with PEBLO. Got in touch with another PEBLO who told me it's bizarre it's been past 2-3 weeks and still nothing from the VA.

Waiting game continues

Rah, good afternoon.

Kudos for getting all of that together. It must have been stressful.

About the VA ratings; it took me about one month to get them completed. I know it has been five weeks for you, but I would imagine you will be receiving them soon. Have you tried calling the VA and asking what stage you are in?

Rah, good afternoon.

Kudos for getting all of that together. It must have been stressful.

About the VA ratings; it took me about one month to get them completed. I know it has been five weeks for you, but I would imagine you will be receiving them soon. Have you tried calling the VA and asking what stage you are in?

I've called the VA numerous times and they just say developmental stage. They told me the standard run around but that my claim can be decided between Nov 2016 and June of 2017. But I don't believe (at least I hope) it takes that long because of this site, the forms they give you with the timelines (which are bullshit ), and also all of my buddies who have been through IDES, their VA portion has only taken about a month. So I think these VA people aren't aware of how IDES works. I guess we go to a special department from normal claims then? I don't even know anymore

Yeah those timelines are whack. Mine was about the same timeframe as yours, but was done unexpectedly. About a month and like 5 days, or so.

So I'm not sure about the special department. If I'm not mistaken, it's just any ole VA claim. I am going to TRS on Monday, and maybe they will shed some light on that. But, I concur, that the VA has no idea how IDES works.

Have you tried getting hold of the PEB in D.C., just to make contact with them and let them know your situation? Why doesn't your peblo work? Where are you stationed?

Good luck Cobra. This whole process has completly drained me.

Sorry Han Shot, I feel completely drained as well. Keep pushing forward brother

Sorry Han Shot, I feel completely drained as well. Keep pushing forward brother

Always forward. Forward always. Keep us updated the best you can!

Same to you, I updated my timeline, added more and made it more accurate to all who are curious. Below..

I just hit the year mark since my process started. Found unfit 2 months ago, waiting on ratings still. I gave up being optimistic, eventually it'll end.

Ladies and Gents,

Today the VA Gods shined down upon me and my claim went to pending decision approval. It has been a total of 3 months exactly to the day since I signed for my MEB/NARSUM, package to go to the PEB.

For those still waiting, I have found obviously that the timeline for IDES at least for the USMC is total crap. So I found a more reliable source of information to base your VA wait time off of. This is the VA morning report published every Monday and can be found by typing that into google. I believe all Medboard cases for the USMC go to Providence, Rhode Island (what I was told). Their pending average claims to average days to complete totals at about 80 days. Mine was pending decision approval today and took about 45. Still not accurate, but much more accurate than the 15 days that they say on the IDES process.

Today my first claim went historical.

A second claim also opened saying gathering of evidence.

VA said they sent my package back to PEB on 28 Oct.

Congrats! Call in 10 business days to have them fax your proposed ratings, if you wish!

Lol disregard my post on your timeline. But thanks for the info!

Finally got the VA to fax me my rating. Technically it was the 9th day and not even the 9th business day.

Two things:
One, I was right in the ball park of what I was expecting; however disappointed that I was correct in the sense that they rated my back off of the botched QTC exam and not my years of past medical exams with the military and medical history. the old lady (doctor?) whatever she was didn't even ask me about my back. Didn't examine it. Nothing. But has the nerve to put that I was in no pain at the time of the exam. I even ASKED her to examine it since it was one of my PEB referred conditions. Got rated 0% for it. Absolutely outrageous that I have to go back for Reconsideration. But at least I know that I have enormous medical evidence that the VA apparently didn't even look at.

Second thing I got a 90% proposed rating. I did the VA math and it comes out to 91. So with everything I plan to claim after this outlandish process called IDES I will claim them and it should give me the 100%.

I also have some more medical exams that I have to go to before I exit the military just to get it put into my military record to have evidence of service connection when I claim when I get out. These include sleep apnea, hernias, and some other various conditions that I want in there that may or may not get rated.

With VA MATH I come to 91%, bilaterals and all included. So I would need a boost of 4% VA math to put me at 95 for an overall 100. I believe this will happen, nothing guaranteed. Just for all who are concerned with their original ratings (proposed). It comes out to about 40% total for added conditions. Note this is not valid math. With VA math every 10% at 91 total comes out to an additional 1%. a little confusing but if you Google VA calculators or do the math yourself you'll see what I'm referring to.

I'm just a disgruntled marine infantryman I suppose. almost done!

Last edited:
Hey, Cobra

Congrats!

I may have missed it but how long were your ratings pending decision approval? I was told my ratings were completed by the va and sent back for approval 90 days ago, but still waiting

I've only been pending decision approval for about 14 days. That is they were sent back to the PEB about 2 weeks ago. I did the leg work myself and got my proposed ratings from the VA. Have not heard whether I'm getting separated, whether I'm offially unfit, or I'm getting retired. Sorry your wait it so long. Have you confirmed they are back at the PEB from the VA?

@adamokor

Thanks brother!

Any word on how long the PEB is taking past the VA rating? I know you're almost there and I figure I won't be far behind ya