C & P Exams, 2 April 2018
Ebenefits, gathering reviewing evidence, 4 April 2018
C & P Exam Results, 17 April 2018
Signed 618, 30 April 2018
Package sent to IPEB, 2 May 2018
Ebenefits review of evidence, 7 May 2018
Ebenefits preparation for decision, 14 May 2018
Ebenefits pending decision approval, 16 May 2018
Emailed PEBLO asking for IPEB results, was told it was still pending at IPEB and it would be 6-8 weeks from 2 May before I heard anything. After seeing other peoples timelines I decided this was not the answer I was looking for. Called VA and asked if they received IPEB findings which they did on 4 May 2018. Faxed VA FOIA request to have IPEB info mailed to me. 17 May 2018
Posted Timeline, 18 May 2018

Been sort of quick for me and I'm good with that. I'm assuming since the VA has my IPEB findings that they found me UNFIT, otherwise they would have just sent back RTD to PEBLO. I could be wrong on that. I'm thinking I will get 10% DOD, and 70-80% VA. I've been in 16 years. Last thing to do is to figure out how to get severance pay tax free.

Thanks to all that have took the time to post threads. I've learned a lot from you.

Hello @david_b and welcome.

About the tax-free severance thing, I have heard and been directly told a few things. Firstly, I have been told that severance pay is not like a bonus in which it is not to be taxed. I've also heard the exact opposite, that it will be taxed.

When I had my first JAG counseling they told me that the severance will not be taxed even if it is NOT combat related and that there are forms that need to be sent to DFAS to ensure this. I have an email in the that lawyer asking for documentation of this rule as far as a regulation or something in ink stating that this is the case. I have done my own research on the interwebz only to find the opposite of what the lawyer has told me.

I believe the best way to find a better answer to is ask someone on this site whose injuries are non-combat related and received a severance what the outcome was.

I meant to mention this in my prior post. I read that you faxed the VA FOIA request to the VA. What exactly is that and what info are you requesting from them?

Thanks for the reply. From the way I interpreted the tax law, medical severance pay isn't taxed if you were found UNFIT, and whatever you were found UNFIT for is listed as a VA disability. I don't know how you could get possibly get medically separated without the issue being listed as a VA disability so I'm thinking all medical severance pay is non-taxable.

I sent a Freedom of Information Act request to the VA so I could see the IPEB results/form AF 356. Seems like other people on the forum were getting their "UNFIT" notification as soon as the IPEB sent the VA the paperwork. However, I was told that I wouldn't know anything until everything came back at once and that it would take 6-8 weeks. I'm impatient and want some sort of tangible evidence saying something along the lines of "Dude, you're unfit and getting out...maybe start sending out some resumes."

Thanks for the info. I called the VA and the were able to confirm that they received my PEB results about 2 days ago. I'm assuming that means I was found unfit. Right? She was reluctant to offer up any information. I asked about requesting the PEB results and she stated that I can request them via fax or mail so I requested them.

I'm not 100% sure that you are unfit if IPEB sends your files to the VA. Just something I've seen on here. I wouldn t have done a FOIA request if I knew for sure. Hopefully, we both find out what we want to know. Good luck and glad I could help.

Called the VA again today just to see if I could talk any information out of them. She wouldn't confirm/deny anything but did say my proposed ratings were sent out on 17 May and "Well, the next step is to upload your DD-214." So who knows...Guess I'll just sit here and refresh eBenefits every hours until someone tells me I'm unfit.

Called the VA again today just to see if I could talk any information out of them. She wouldn't confirm/deny anything but did say my proposed ratings were sent out on 17 May and "Well, the next step is to upload your DD-214." So who knows...Guess I'll just sit here and refresh eBenefits every hours until someone tells me I'm unfit.

@david_b

I am literally currently doing the same. haha

Still pending Decision Approval on eBenefits. Called VA Regional Office in Providence RI and they told me to send them a fax with a request for proposed ratings. Faxed me back in 10 minutes. Unfit. 70% VA. Finally, some information.

@david_b

Do you have the fax number? Also did you request that they fax them back to you?

I called 401-223-3700 as directed by another post I saw. VA in RI told me to just had to type up a quick MFR saying I was requesting proposed ratings and fax it to them. 10 minutes later, I got my proposed ratings faxed back.

Thanks for the info! I can't seem to find any numbers for a regional office here in California.

Last edited:
NARSUM, CC Letter, 26 Jan 2018
Ebenefits submitted, 23 Feb 2018
VA Phone Interview, 27 Feb 2018
Emailed PEBLO asking for IPEB results, was told it was still pending at IPEB and it would be 6-8 weeks from 2 May before I heard anything. After seeing other peoples timelines I decided this was not the answer I was looking for. Called VA and asked if they received IPEB findings which they did on 4 May 2018. Faxed VA FOIA request to have IPEB info mailed to me. 17 May 2018
Signed 1180 today. Discharge with severance. 0% DoD, 70% VA. 1 June 2018 (eBenefits still says pending decision approval)

Hey @david_b

What is the 1180 form?

Air Force version form of accepting results of IPEB or disagreeing with IPEB and requesting FPEB.

Oh okay. I just signed mine (army version) on wednesday. Did they give you any information for how long it would be with PDA? Does AF send to PDA also?

Public Display's of Affection aren't on my to-do list. I'm guessing you're talking about what the next step is for me? My packet goes back to the air force level case manager, he does math based on Commander's permissive TDY house/job hunting and my leave balance, cuts me orders. Was told this process is about 2 weeks.

NARSUM, CC Letter, 26 Jan 2018
Ebenefits submitted, 23 Feb 2018
VA Phone Interview, 27 Feb 2018
Signed 1180 today. Discharge with severance. 0% DoD, 70% VA. 1 June 2018 (eBenefits still says pending decision approval)
Orders received, 20 June, DOS is 27 July
Final out 5 July, terminal.

I'm still "Pending Decision Approval" on E-benefits. Lol. Will post one more time when I receive Final Pay/Medical Severance Pay. Good luck to all of you and thanks again for all those who posted.

I'm a bit worried this could be my situation as well regarding did ratings.

What we're your referred conditions if I may ask?