NARSUM and CC Letter

Jetster

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Good Evening all,

Well, my MEB will now take place on 19 May. Today, my boss got the CC letter to answer the questions asked for completion. This is the way they answered a few that raised some questions to me.

Effect on Unit Mission:

1. Does the member’s medical condition allow him/her to perform all primary in-garrison military duties without restrictions, limitations or work-a-rounds? (are fitness program, formations, part of in-garrison duties)???

2. If the member is not able to perform his/her primary military duties:
a. What duty-related restrictions or limitations are in effect and for how long?
b. Describe the specific duties the member is unable to do because of his/her medical condition.
c. Do you believe the member’s condition(s) will prevent him/her from serving in their primary AFSC in future assignments? If so, how? (They did not answer all of this, fitness was not included???)

3. Has the member’s duty schedule been modified due to his/her medical condition(s) (i.e., limited duty, half days, no shift work, etc.)? If so, how and for how long? (No)

4. Other than medical appointments, approximately how many days of work has the member missed over the past 90 days due to this condition? How much of this time was physician-directed? (They said no even though I am half days at PT 3 days a week)

5. Have you spoken with the Primary Care Manager’s (PCM) regarding the member’s medical condition (including profile recommendation / restrictions, if required)? Do you agree with the PCM’s assessment of the member’s condition(s)? If not, why not? (They answered they have not and do not agree or disagree)

6. Can the member be assigned against an AEF tasking? Do you believe the member could perform his/her primary duties in a OCONUS deployed environment without restrictions, limitations, or work-a-rounds? (no to AEF or deployment)

7. Does the member’s medical condition impact your ability to perform your in-garrison / deployed mission? If so, how? (No impact in-garrison, impact deployed)

Personnel Input:

1. Is the member pending administrative actions or judicial / non-judicial punishment that could result in his/her demotion / dismissal?

2. Is the member planning to separate / retire or has he/she applied to do so?

Commander’s Recommendation:

In your opinion, what would be the optimal outcome for the member, your organization and the needs of the Air Force regarding his/her continued military service? NOTE: Recommending retraining should only be made after the Military Personnel Flight has in fact confirmed the member is eligible to retrain. (Their recommendation was to continue military service in existing AFSC 3S0X1)

I am a bit concerned in the way they answered this. They ultimately are thinking for the benefit of the AF and not my best interests.. What do you think??

I got a very general, vague answer to all the questions on that script as well. I don't know what kind of effect it had on my case, but it worried me and I made sure to document everything I possibly could to turn it in as evidence. Jason recommended getting letters from others in my command who could note specific limitations in my duties as well. I was in a strange, maybe unique situation where that wasn't really possible, but it may help if you were able to?

What was answered in the letter is a recipe for a fit finding or, even worse, an unfit finding at a low rating.

General letters without details tend to be given less weight than a well drafted and supported letter, so that may work in your favor.

As bg said, it would be helpful if you found other superiors who could give a more detailed picture of your duty limitations.

Jetster,

It was hard for me to understand just what the CC said in your response. At the end of your post you felt that they did not have your best interest at heart....is that what you mean?

I just spoke with my doc today and have my CC letter done up. In MY situation, the CC and Doc are both 100% comitted to doing what is right for my unique situation. They are both intimately familiar with what is going on in my case.

Do you have a close relationship with your CC and your Doc? If not I could see why you might be wary. My CC has done 4 MEB letters in the past year (mine being the fourth) and we have discussed them all. Based upon the doc's and my CC's advise the CC letter is fairly brief and to the point. The doc stated that the CC recommendation holds the most weight with AFPC when the decisions are made.

I wish you the best of luck as I am going through the MEB process shortly although no date has been set. It is a frightening process and if I can offer some moral support please PM me!

Regards,

Mike

What was answered in the letter is a recipe for a fit finding or, even worse, an unfit finding at a low rating.

General letters without details tend to be given less weight than a well drafted and supported letter, so that may work in your favor.

As bg said, it would be helpful if you found other superiors who could give a more detailed picture of your duty limitations.

I hear you. The issue I see is that this is a brand new office I moved to just prior to surgery. They know I had a replaced talus but again seem very closed minded since my return to work in Late January. Even when I found out about my surgery the last day of work on the first week of the new job, they were making me feel like I had to accommodate to them. I explained to them after two years of waiting, I was not putting this surgery on the back-burner and that they ultimately new what they were getting when they first hired me. I ultimately worry of the fact that they will return me to duty where I have a condition that will not improve for one and secondly, if I were to be returned I would do AC only. I am just really concerned they will admin sep me with no entitlements for the rest of my life and ultimately hose me. I understand I may have intangibles to them that is worth their while and I am humbled by that, but common sense will need to be looked at here. Like you said though, because this letter they forwarded today lacks any substance and shows they have not consulted with my PCM or surgeon on the matter may definately work in my favor in the end.

Jetster,

It was hard for me to understand just what the CC said in your response. At the end of your post you felt that they did not have your best interest at heart....is that what you mean?

I just spoke with my doc today and have my CC letter done up. In MY situation, the CC and Doc are both 100% comitted to doing what is right for my unique situation. They are both intimately familiar with what is going on in my case.

Do you have a close relationship with your CC and your Doc? If not I could see why you might be wary. My CC has done 4 MEB letters in the past year (mine being the fourth) and we have discussed them all. Based upon the doc's and my CC's advise the CC letter is fairly brief and to the point. The doc stated that the CC recommendation holds the most weight with AFPC when the decisions are made.

I wish you the best of luck as I am going through the MEB process shortly although no date has been set. It is a frightening process and if I can offer some moral support please PM me!

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I know the Squadron Section CC who is the one whom sent this to my Boss today. He is very familiar with the situation since I worked with him before. However, like I stated to Jason, the fact my new bosses have not consulted with my PCM or Surgeon may work in my favor. The Boss basically answered with that they have not consulted with the PCM and have no agreements or disagreements because of the situation. I am just concerned. I may want to take a walk up to the Command staff on Monday to discuss or maybe discuss with my PCM since I meet with him too Monday afternoon. Crazy stuff I say.

Jetster,

I do not know your history or background but if you desire to stay on Active Duty then I certainly would speak to the folks up your chain. Be honest, sincerely concerned, and explain in simple terms why you desire to stay on Active Duty.

Bottom Line for me is that both the DOC and CC are walking me through this at every step of the process and that has certainly helped. I am in a bit of a different situation as I have one month shy of 19 years active duty. I am also awaiting two more surgeries (total knee replacement in 2 months now and another shoulder surgery). Even though I am not flying due to these issues, I am still considered invaluable to both my cc and Wing. That has certainly been in my favor as my letter essentially states that and the recommendation is to continue to serve but not be on deployment status until the issues are resolved. In my case this has been going on for 13 months now due to the lack of availability of civilian medical facilities to conduct the operations.

I wish you the BEST and hang in there!!!!!

I received a copy of my NARSUM today. They have said my condition was in the LOD. How does that affect an outcome of a MEB/PEB?

This is good news. It means that your unfitting LOD condition will be compensable, i.e., you can be rated for it.

That is great news. My MEB is set for 19 May with the LOD stating yes it sounds like it will go to the PEB after all??

MEB Update

Good Afternoon all,

I go to the MEB office on Friday to look at the MEB recommendations. Talking to my PEBLO this morning, MEB has recommended case be referred to IPEB as MEB has found me unfit for continued service... It appears my Med stuff has legs and is moving. I have heard that it now may take 8 to 12 weeks for the decision and possible rating (which I think may be over 30%) :D Again, had Talus allograft replacement in Nov 2008 6 screws and a plate. I have been researching and found that a number of ortho cases that go to IPEB, members over 10 have been med retired, I hope this happens for me. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated in this next process though... :D

Jetster