Navy PFA waiver, possible MEB?

nav904

Registered Member
Hello all, i have a few questions regarding a sailor of mine, no PII, but i will give a background. This sailor has had knee issues for some time, and has done phys therapy in the past, however it never really solved the issue and kept causing occasional discomfort for the sailor. The sailor never went LLD or LIMDU however at any time. Now fast forward to PFA cycle last year, this sailors knee gave out during the PRT and they were unable to complete the PRT, the command issued a PFA waiver and medical decided to take this sailors case seriously for once and issued a round of in depth tests, during which this issue was discovered with some irregular tissue in the knee. The sailor was paired up with a navy surgeon who performed surgery, and fixed the issue. The sailor has since made all of their physical therapy appointments, and is no longer in need of them. They have healed nicely, and have been noted as making improvements by the physician. Heres the issue, the sailor was issued a second PFA waiver to perform only the sit ups portion due to the most recent PFA (last month) was only 3 months post surgery, and did not want to run the risk of injuring the knee again. The sailor only received 14 days LLD after the surgery, and never went LIMDU, and as of today is walking around fine, participating at command PT without restrictions, and fully intends to no longer waive any portions of the PFA. The sailor was told however by the CFL that medical would be notified, since the sailor has now had 2 PFA waivers in a row for the same thing. The sailor is quite concerned at this point and does not understand what may happen, and the command is not really informative either. Digging around in instruction what i can understand is that for two PFA waivers in a row the CFL informs the CO, then the CO notifies the MTF (on base clinic in this case), and MTF is responsible for initiating MED. However, the sailor spoke with their physician and was told since they have healed and have zero issues, the physician would not recommend MED if asked. So basically what im asking for is in this process, is it possible that the MTF will not even initiate a MED seeing as how the physician's recommendation will be nothing but positive, and that the sailor does not require this? Or does it not matter what they say and the MED will initiate anyway due to 2 PFA waivers in a row. Part two of this, is the sailor was just posted for orders, and is expected to receive hard copies of these orders within 2 weeks, and expects to PCS in august-september timeframe. The sailor is paranoid that their orders will be lost due to a MED being initiated that isnt even required since the sailor is fine medically and no longer requires any waivers. Anyone have any input on this or advice? Thanks in advance.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Basically, you hit the issues. If the MTF does not initiate an MEB, then he is good to go. If they do, then not.

If he can, would be great if he passed a full PFA (sooner rather than later). Even so, given that he has orders, it might be that the issue is "lost" in between his clearing base and PCSing.
Wish I had more, but, essentially, the answer is it depends on what the various folks in the "system" do. Nothing could happen. He could be flagged and his order revoked. If he has a lot of love from his command and a good rapport/support from the medical providers, maybe a call from the Senior Chief/Commander to smooth things might make all go right.
Hope all goes well for the Sailor.

nav904

Registered Member
So it is possible that the MTF will not even bother doing a MEB? With the sailors physician stating that they will not recommend it that helps alot i would assume, but i was unsure if MTF is still required to initiate regardless. We havent heard anything since 2 weeks ago when they were told that MTF would be notified, and my advice to the sailor was to go get OP duty screening done as soon as hard copies for the orders show up.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So it is possible that the MTF will not even bother doing a MEB? With the sailors physician stating that they will not recommend it that helps alot i would assume, but i was unsure if MTF is still required to initiate regardless. We havent heard anything since 2 weeks ago when they were told that MTF would be notified, and my advice to the sailor was to go get OP duty screening done as soon as hard copies for the orders show up.
Yes, that is possible. Plus, seems a good plan to get to base clearing, OP screening, etc., done.

Not saying this is always the "magic sauce," but, less work needs to be done, that often works for folks. If he has valid orders, is cleared to PCS, and is ready to go, who wants to bother with initiating a board when that creates more work for everyone? Not up on current Navy practice in this regard, but, in the Army, you get orders, you go to levy brief, you clear, then you are assigned ("detached," in Navy parlance) to the installation. Pretty soon, you can slip through the cracks. Maybe that is the way for this Sailor to go.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">