Navy PTSD, Depression, Anxiety Issues (and case manager assigned by MTF)

Courtenay Nold

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Post-deployment issues related to, cause of diagnosis by both the VA and the MTF on base with PTSD, Depression, etc. Was recently assigned a case manager at the MTF to help keep track of appointments, etc. Also was referred to Neuropsychology Doctor at the VA for 6-8 test/evaluation sessions. Just starting to wonder if all this is going to lead to disability, medical discharge, limited duty or even being sent to a Naval Hospital or treatment center...and potentially medical/disability board. Would appreciate any insight any of you may have...especially in relation to the Neuropsy. testing and procedures that may occur with someone who is a Navy officer.

CMN

Rank has nothing to do with the testing. Testing is of your brain and stuff. For officer and enlisted a like an MEB can be initiated if, "you do not meet the standards of your rank, position, title.." Something to that effect. Somewhere your gonna have to decide whether its beneficial to get in or stay out. If youw ant to get better, and truly get better you will end up at treatment facilities. A lot of guys go inpatient to get help. I did 35 days. Its not as bad as youd think.

Appreciate the feedback. Just hate not knowing what will happen...and even though helpful not sure where them assigning me a case manager is leading.

A case manager is assigned to help track appointments and navigate claims, etc. They are there to help you. Technically any active duty service member can be assigned on if they ask. Most times a case manager is assigned when a service member has complex medical conditions.

I had to undergo neuropsych testing as an O. It wasn't a career killer or anything. They just have to evaluate your conditions and report on them. Sometimes they send you to neuropsych for waivers, other times it's required for an MEB to be initiated and for other reasons.

It seems like a lot of people are concerned with nueropsych testing. I found it beneficial and never felt it was being used to "hurt" but rather try and help my career. Ultimately my neuropsych eval denied my waiver request, but it was helpful because it showed many underlying medical conditions I hadn't noticed.

Guess just worried about what-ifs. Am reserve on third recall since 9/11...and had to come on orders with bumed waiver due to meds.