Need Help/ Trying to Figure out BCMR Process

ironcurtain2alpha

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I was a Traditional Air National Guardsmen who was medically retired off "active duty" and I know my unit royally screwed up the entire process. Anytime I tried to intervene and expose their mistakes they told me I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about. Now I'm a 28 year old retiree that can't get his DD Form 214 to apply with my local Law Enforcement agency and this is because I was only placed on Active Duty for a couple of days so they could say I was retired off Active Duty. I need help trying to figure out this BCMR information so I can get all this bureaucratic paperwork out of the way so I can retrieve my DD Form 214 and move on with the rest of my life. This is disheartening to me considering I give my unit and state everything I had and complied when they told me to jump and then they basically had screwed me in the long run. If anyone has any helpful advice and/or information it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if anyone feels my tone is out of line but I was also venting a little.
Thank you,
T.J.

Don't think your tone is off at all. Sounds like you have been treated poorly and your leaders have failed you.

Your question(s) is/are way to general to be of much help. Here is a link to AF BCMR website:
http://www.afpc.af.mil/afveteraninformation/airforceboardforcorrectionofmilitaryrecords/

Not sure that AFBCMR is the right way to go if your issue is just getting a DD214. Might be better served by talking with Transition Point/Retirement Services Officer, using chain of command, IG, and/or Congressional inquiries. AFBCMR would likely take longer than using these other "resources."

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Hope all goes well for you.

I have a few more issues. I wasn't placed on active duty orders during the time of the MEB as dictated in the DODI even when I had brought this up to my leadership they shot it down and believed they were right and I was wrong even though it was in writing. I don't know if I would be eligible for back pay. I just want the record set straight and accountability for actions that were out of my control.

You should have a dd214 for any period of service over 30 days, so active duty for training, deployment, etc. Even though you got a "active duty" retirement, better expressed as a chapter 61 disability retirement, they do cannot normally issue a dd214, just orders if authority for retirement is based on 10 usc 1204. Most likely you can use a VA award letter to establish veteran status for employment preference. Should be able to download from ebenefits.

Yup, and that's correct. The DD214 is a record of an active duty period in excess of 30 days.

While it can be argued you should have been placed on active duty for disability processing or discharged from that period for disability, and you may be able to argue that at the BCMR. The virtue of fighting for that and the associated back pay or what have you is seperate from your status as a veteran.

That sounds like the real issue you want due to the police force job you want. You can use the DD214 from 2010 to establish veteran status, and in a way its better, since it won't have disability discharge codes, which police don't like. Alternative the VA can provide proof of your veteran status. Federal employment wants the VA letter, where police like the DD214, but both means are valid.

I may try to just use both of them and then give them the new one if I ever receive it at a later date they have told me that they want the most recent but if this is all I can give them, they'll have to settle I guess. But how do I go about the BCMR process to right the wrongs.

I may try to just use both of them and then give them the new one if I ever receive it at a later date they have told me that they want the most recent but if this is all I can give them, they'll have to settle I guess. But how do I go about the BCMR process to right the wrongs.

Your question(s) is/are way to general to be of much help. Here is a link to AF BCMR website:
http://www.afpc.af.mil/afveteraninformation/airforceboardforcorrectionofmilitaryrecords/

Even if you were to get someone to issue you a DD Form 214 it would only cover the three days you were on active duty. It would, of course, show your prior total of active and inactive duty time thou.