Registered Member
New to MEB Process

TSgt, 16 years, Security Forces

10 Jan 18 - AFPC Directed Full MEB/Code-37 Initiated
18 Jan 18 - Commanders Impact Letter Complete
25 Jan 18 - Initial PEBLO Briefing
25 Jan 18 - MSC interview over the phone/Submitted disability claims
1 Mar 18 - C&P Exams conducted
7 Mar 18 - PEBLO received Exam paperwork and routed paperwork to providers. Also gave me a copy of the VA report.
14 Mar 18 - Signed 618 and PEBLO submitted my package to IPEB

PEBLO says I should have ratings back in 4-8 weeks and be found "Unfit", but I know that's not their call.

I've been stalking the forum for quite some time while initiated the MEB process, but have some questions now that I received my VA report back. Hopefully some of you will be able to help with the unfitting conditions being sent forward. I'm hoping and praying that the DOD % is 30% so I can keep my healthcare benefits not only for me but for my family. So for those have you that have been through this can you please take a look below see a possible DOD % for the unfitting conditions being sent forward.

Unfitting Conditions:
Sleep Apnea (I know this isn't really an unfitting condition, but they said it has something to do with complicating my Asthma since they're separate identities)
Asthma/Shortness of Breath

VA Report Diagnosis:

Sleep Apnea Confirmed (Already on CPAP)

Asthma as follows per the VA Report:

Pre-Bronchodilator Post-Bronchodilator
FVC - 60% Predicted FVC - 61% Predicted
FEV-1 - 57% Predicted FEV-1 - 58 % Predicted
FEV-1/FVC - 76 % FEV-1/FVC - 77%
Inhalational Bronchodilator Therapy: Intermittent
Inhalational Anti-Inflammatory Medication: Daily

Which test result most accurately reflects the Veteran's level of disability (based on the condition that is being evaluated for this report)? FEV1% Predicted

With looking at the above information does this at least guarantee 30% from the DOD. That's the main concern here so I can keep the benefits. Don't get me wrong there are multiple diagnosis from the VA that will give me a High %, but I'm super nervous with the DOD%. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also just an FYI, my Commander Letter says "Do Not Retain" because I'm unable to carry a weapon and am currently not world-wide deployable. And then in the NARSUM my PCM clearly states "Members Asthma does not allow him to continue military service".

Thanks

Wow we are in the same boat. How long did it take for your NARSUM to come back? CC already did the "Do Not Retain". Just waiting on the NARSUM
Asthma FEV1/FVC 45% (Pre)
Asthma FEV1/FVC 66% (Post)
Sleep Apnea (w/CPAP)

Follow this Thread!

So the first time I saw my NARSUM was when I conducted my initial briefing with the PEBLO. But my PCM signed it back in December. From what my PEBLO told me, I was directed for a Full MEB by AFPC 3 days after them receiving my initial package. As far as my VA report, my PEBLO had that in hands 9 days after my C&P Exams.

Anyone have any thoughts on the initial post. I'm still in the waiting for IPEB results. Thanks

Have you got your ratings back yet? I was security forces. Hurt my back during training and got 80% va. My wife is now being med boarded and we are ready to move on from the air force.

Well, per the VA schedule of ratings, asthma requiring a daily-inhaled anti-inflammatory is solidly 30%. That alone should get you the minimum 30% you need, assuming they (DoD) rate it as a condition that makes you "unfit." Additionally, due to longevity (16 yrs x 2.5% per year) your retirement rating should be no less than 40%. I think you'll qualify for concurrent VA and DoD disability pensions as you are retire-able under TERA. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

@rlemasters,

If unfit (which seems likely) due to your asthma, I do believe you should get at least a 30% schedular rating. I also agree with @AFOddJob regarding the calculation based on your years of service. However, I disagree about the concurrent receipt.

Well, per the VA schedule of ratings, asthma requiring a daily-inhaled anti-inflammatory is solidly 30%. That alone should get you the minimum 30% you need, assuming they (DoD) rate it as a condition that makes you "unfit." Additionally, due to longevity (16 yrs x 2.5% per year) your retirement rating should be no less than 40%.
Yes, I agree.
I think you'll qualify for concurrent VA and DoD disability pensions as you are retire-able under TERA. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
Good spotting of the issue, however, unless TERA is actually authorized, that would not come into play. It is very rare (next to impossible; I have never seen a case where it has been applied) that you could get a concurrent receipt finding from the military based on TERA. It is not only that you "potentially qualify" for TERA, but, instead, you would need to have been approved for TERA and then adjudicated by the PEB as unfit in order to qualify for concurrent receipt of military and VA compensation based on TERA retirement.

Hope all goes well for you! Best of luck!

Quick questions regarding some movement on Ebenefits/Timeline:

16 Mar 18 - Received email from MyPers stating they received my package at the IPEB.

29 Mar 18 - Checked Ebenefits and it said "Preparation for Decision"

30 Mar 18 - Checked Ebenefits again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and it said "Pending Decision Approval"

Kind of lost in the sauce on this one after trying to look at others timelines/comments and not really getting any assistance from my PEBLO due to her being backlogged with multiple MEBs. My question is:

1. Does this mean I am already found unfit by the IPEB and they are awaiting on the VA's rating to QA them?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, because this seems like it is moving extremely fast compared to a lot of members. Thank you.

2 Apr 18 - Checked Ebenefits claim went Historical/Closed and Complete

2 Apr 18 - Ebenefits opened new claim with "Pending Decisions Approval" (Awaiting Required Documents, i'm guessing DD-214 not 100% sure)

Was looking on Ebenefits to see if I had any movement and noticed the below information:

18 Apr 18 - Checked Ebenefits claim went Historical/Closed and Complete again for the 2nd time. (This time it was saying VA form needs to be completed)

Does anyone have any idea what this means???

hey random question but did any one ever get a call from the Providence VA people. i missed a call and an email stating that they had a question regarding my IDES claim. I didn't know that they could call us directly, thought they had to go through the peblo

hey random question but did any one ever get a call from the Providence VA people. i missed a call and an email stating that they had a question regarding my IDES claim. I didn't know that they could call us directly, thought they had to go through the peblo
I got a call from them Friday. They needed a couple of dates and my address. about 4 hours later i checked and one of my claims was completed.

Awesome i hope that will be the same for me. The email i got said that they had a question about my claim. Hopefully they are fixing the mistake made on the C&P exam report. About how long after the claim was completed did the AF give the official word?

Ok i just need it to go to the next step and then about a week later i will know. Ebenefits has said preparation for decision for 3 weeks now.