Not sure where to start...

OIFVetWife

Registered Member
maparker advised me to head here (to PEBforum) from VBN to find Jason for some help. I'm not really even sure exactly what I'm asking, or where to start, so please forgive me if I sound like an idiot!

When my hubby returned from his last deployment (end of 2006) he was less than 60 days from ETS and just wanted to get the heck out of dodge. He (even though we didn't really want to admit it at the time) was suffering from severe PTSD and TBI as well as some other things but was given the advice that the VA would take care of him on the civilian side and that the Med Board would take forever and it would be easier just to slide out. Of course, now I know it was a stupid, stupid thing for us to do - but hind sight is always 20-20. So, he went on terminal leave an was discharged early in 2007.

We started the VA process almost right away. In that same time period he also went into the Reserves (because someone he was AD with got pulled back in) he only drilled a few times and then was just sort of left alone - didn't drill at all, just called off and on to tell him about all of his VA appointments - while they were supposedly putting him through the med board. But, then his ETS date came again and he just got discharged. That was last January (15 months ago). I know we sound like absolute idiots... and really we're not... but truthfully at that point we were just in over our heads and were not thinking ahead.

He received an initial rating from the VA of 75%. We then appealed. He's now 100% (90% schedule, 10% IU) disabled through the VA for PTSD, TBI, and degenerative issues in his left side that have him walking with a cane and sleeping is a hospital bed. I had just assumed we were screwed on the military benefits side because of the choice we made, but was talking to someone a few weeks ago who said we could go back and ask for those benefits now. Is that true? I ask because my daughter and I are both without health care coverage. I am unable to work since I have to be at home to care for my hubby and we are $180/month over our state's income guidelines for the state-run children's insurance plan. I've unfortunately developed my own brain issues lately and could really, really use health coverage. Anyone know if there's a way to do this? And, if so, how do I do it? Where do I start?

I can speak for the issues of you having to be home to take care of your husband. You need to file through the VA for assistance since you cannot work due to your husband's needs. I cannot think of what it is called but you can apply to get more assistance monitarily from the VA. I will try to find what it is called and update the post. If anyone else knows off hand, please chime in.

Good luck and best wishes for you and your family!

Some more information for you for health benefits for you and your child through CHAMPVA as long as your husband is totally and permanently disabled through the VA.

Chapter 11 Dependents and Survivors Health Care

Health Care Benefits: Under the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA), certain dependents and survivors can receive reimbursement for most medical expenses – inpatient, outpatient, mental health, prescription medication, skilled nursing care and durable medical equipment.

Eligibility: To be eligible for CHAMPVA, an individual cannot be eligible for TRICARE (the medical program for civilian dependents provided by DoD) and must be one of the following:
  1. The spouse or child of a Veteran whom VA has rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability.
  2. The surviving spouse or child of a Veteran who died from a VA-rated service-connected disability, or who, at the time of death, was rated permanently and totally disabled.
  3. The surviving spouse or child of a Veteran who died on active duty service and in the line of duty, not due to misconduct. However, in most of these cases, these family members are eligible for TRICARE, not CHAMPVA.

Thanks, rockymtnmama.

Unfortunately, we're not eligible for ChampVA yet because he's not "total & permanent". I've spoken with ChampVA and with the VA about it, and am trying to work it from that angle, but so far no luck.

Thanks, also, for looking up the other information. I'll read it and see what I can find.

Not sure if this pertains to you but this is what I was talking about as far as additional compensation for veteran's whos spouses can no longer work due to the needs of the veteran. I pulled this out of the veteran's handbook chapter 2 and there are many additional benefits that your husband may be entitled to so check it out on www.va.gov and click on the benefits book under veteran services. This is also where I found the CHAMPVA information. I would recommend that you contact your local VA representative ASAP to see if your husband may be eligible for any of these additional benefits. I say this because usually you get back pay to the date of the application if you are approved for the benefit.

Aid and Attendance for Housebound Veterans

A veteran who is determined by VA to be in need of the regular aid and attendance of another person, or a veteran who is permanently housebound, may be entitled to additional disability compensation or pension payments. A veteran evaluated at 30 percent or more disabled is entitled to receive an additional payment for a spouse who is in need of the aid and attendance of another person.