Nuke LIMDU question

matreshka

Registered Member
Hi guys -

I will try to ask my question in the least convoluted way possible. Any feedback, especially backed up by instructions, etc. would be appreciated.

I'm a Nuke and was about to start my Nuke screen/Sea Duty screen process for orders coming off of my pregnancy tour. My PRD was in April 2015. I ended up getting diagnosed by a neurologist with chronic migraines, put on medication and placed on LIMDU for 6 months. She said that this LIMDU effectively overrides my left-over 5 months of pregnancy LIMDU and takes me out to May of 2015 at my current shore command. At the end of the 6 months, I will get re-evaluated. I am also taking zoloft and doing therapy for anxiety and extended postpartum depression. I understand that according to the new instruction, SSRIs can be waved now so I don't think that will present a problem. My EAOS is in August 2016, so less than 2 years from now and I do not plan to re-enlist.

My questions are:
- Now that I have been placed on LIMDU for migraines, what will happen from my detailer's end? Do I not schedule my nuke screen and sea duty screen and wait until the end of my LIMDU to see what happens? I assume being LIMDU right now makes me ineligble for orders anyways?
- How does the migraine diagnosis affect my future nuke status?

Thank you.

Hi guys -

I will try to ask my question in the least convoluted way possible. Any feedback, especially backed up by instructions, etc. would be appreciated.

I'm a Nuke and was about to start my Nuke screen/Sea Duty screen process for orders coming off of my pregnancy tour. My PRD was in April 2015. I ended up getting diagnosed by a neurologist with chronic migraines, put on medication and placed on LIMDU for 6 months. She said that this LIMDU effectively overrides my left-over 5 months of pregnancy LIMDU and takes me out to May of 2015 at my current shore command. At the end of the 6 months, I will get re-evaluated. I am also taking zoloft and doing therapy for anxiety and extended postpartum depression. I understand that according to the new instruction, SSRIs can be waved now so I don't think that will present a problem. My EAOS is in August 2016, so less than 2 years from now and I do not plan to re-enlist.

My questions are:
- Now that I have been placed on LIMDU for migraines, what will happen from my detailer's end? Do I not schedule my nuke screen and sea duty screen and wait until the end of my LIMDU to see what happens? I assume being LIMDU right now makes me ineligble for orders anyways?
- How does the migraine diagnosis affect my future nuke status?

Thank you.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, I shall defer to other PEB Forum members with targeted experiences who are capable to address your specific inquiry at this point. Take care, continue to get well, and most importantly enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Your detailer won't do anything. Because you are on LIMDU, he/she can't write you any orders to go to a new command. You do not have to do nuke/sea duty screening until you are off of LIMDU. You are correct in saying that you aren't eligible to receive orders anyhow.

Because you are on medication, both for migraines and depression/anxiety, your career as a nuke could definitely be in jeopardy. I believe that you have to be off of psychotropic medications for at least 60 days (as determined by a psych doc) before you can be waived to be returned back to a nuke billet. For me, as soon as I was put on psychotropic medications, I was immediately disqualified nuke duty. If you are getting a bonus, you might want to keep it in the bank. Mine was recouped shortly after being disqualified; it took me nearly two years to get it back (they aren't allowed to take it away if you are being medically retired).

If your migraines are going to prevent you from doing your job, you may want to consider talking to your doc about a MEB after your LIMDU period (it may come to that anyhow). As long as you have to remain on meds for migraines, you won't be qualified for nuke duty.

EMCS (SW/AW)...prior nuke
Medically retiring PDRL January 31, 2015 (70% DoD/100% VA)

Last edited: