Overlimit HHG move, help with regs!

broke_dude

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
A few months back while digging through the retirement pay or medical retirement regs.(cant remember which), I stumbled across a rule that said something along the lines; a medically retired member of the service is authorized up to 18,000 lbs. for a house hold goods move. Well I need it now since TMO here has no idea how to do there job, and now I cant find it. Has any one come across this in the U.S.C. or Title regulations?

also ........... I do know that Title 37 §476 states

(D)(i) In connection with the change of temporary or permanent station of a member in a pay grade below pay grade O–6, the Secretary concerned may authorize a higher weight allowance than the weight allowance determined under subparagraph (C) for the member if the Secretary concerned determines that the application of the weight allowance determined under such subparagraph would result in significant hardship to the member or the dependents of the member. An increase in weight allowance under this clause may not result in a weight allowance exceeding the weight allowance specified in subparagraph (C) for pay grades O–6 to O–10, unless the additional weight allowance in excess of such maximum is intended to permit the shipping of consumables that cannot be reasonably obtained at the new station of the member.

****my local TMO is stating that since I'm retiring and moving back to my home of record that it does not constitute as a PCS. This doesn't sound right to me or my co workers.

I spent some time as the D-Flight commander, which included leadership of the TMO office. I can't recall this specific entitlement, but I am looking through the JTR for you.

http://www.move.mil/documents/dod/Weight_Allowance_Table_JTR.pdf is the specific citation that allows authorization up to 18,000 at the discretion of the service secretary.

I will continue to look for it, but its like looking for a specific needle in a stack of needles.

However, on the topic of this not being a PCS move, it is not. This is not a PCS move because you aren't PCSing, this is a Home of Selection (HOS) move and HOS travel. The rules on these are slightly different then PCS moves, but they are spread across about nine different regulations.

does this mean that an authorization of 18,00lbs wouldn't be applicable since the doc is worded it with change of temporary or permanent station?

also what other docs besides title 10, title 37 would information like this be found in?

If your TMO office were to work the paper trail, you could get authorized up to 18,000 lbs. How much over your weight authorization do you think you are?

My guess is that ill be 2k over. All the items that are heavy, are tools. I procured them while AD and plan to use them when i get out for my buisness.

Last edited: