Panic Attack

Hello,past 8 month I am experiencing panic attacks 2-3 times a week and I am experiencing anxiety and depression,I was wondering if it is a boardable condition.

Have you discussed this with a mental health provider. Have you been treated or been to an in-patient facility? Bottom line, if mental health sees it as unfitting, they will initiate an MEB...

It can be. Are these panic attacks documented?

How can a panic attack be documented?No I am thinking to go but I just want to know what to expect..

Have you spoken to mental health about them? Has your doctor put anything in your notes about them. Any panic attacks happen at work?

Here is how mental health is rated.... but it has to be in your records.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:
gross impairment in thought processes or communication;
persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate
behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent
inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance
of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memo
loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,
due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals
which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,
obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting
the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;
impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods
of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and
hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including
work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain
effective relationships 70%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and
productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,
circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once
a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment
of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned
material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired
abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in
establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 50%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational
tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine
behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms
as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or
less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as
forgetting names, directions, recent events) 30%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled
by continuous medication 10%

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social
functioning or to require continuous medication0%

As you can see above “near continuous panic is 70%, once a week or more attacks are 50%, less than weekly panic attacks 30%.

So in order to better help you, we need more details.

Please elaborate on what has been documented with mental health in order for us to help out...

Lets say its documented I have panic attacks and depression what happens next?

You’ll need to see mental health and establish some history with them. I think that perhaps with 6 months or more of visits/notes there may be enough to start a MEB. You can be meb’d For anxiety but you’ll need a bit of history being seen for it.

If you have it documented already then discuss a MEB with your mental health provider.

The AFI says that mental health has to be treated for a minimum of 1 year or unless they decide that treatment is no longer effective. For me, I was sent to an In-Patient facility for 30 days, then Intensive out-patient for 60 days, and then I’ve been going to out-patient therapy twice a week for the better part of a year before they even considered an MEB. And on top of all that, I’ve done therapies to include group, CPT, DBT, PE, In-Viveo, etc...

Point is, you have to exhaust all options for mental health to even consider an MEB...

Treatment will normal be the first course of action. There are multiple treatment methods for panic attacks. Consult your mental health provider as soon as practical.

The AFI says that mental health has to be treated for a minimum of 1 year or unless they decide that treatment is no longer effective. For me, I was sent to an In-Patient facility for 30 days, then Intensive out-patient for 60 days, and then I’ve been going to out-patient therapy twice a week for the better part of a year before they even considered an MEB. And on top of all that, I’ve done therapies to include group, CPT, DBT, PE, In-Viveo, etc...

Point is, you have to exhaust all options for mental health to even consider an MEB...

What about if PTSD was diagnosed and added to an MEB during your VA exams? That's the situation I'm in.

I'm a month into treatment, will the air force lean towards fit or unfit? My VA examiner wrote things that seemed to be a 70 or 50% rating.

I couldn’t tell you what the outcome could be as far as only being in treatment for 1 month. Did mental health add that to one of your boardable conditions? My PCM and mental health wanted everything to be documented prior to any med board being initiated that way there’s little room for push back from the PEB.

In your case, it’s up to the PEB gods to make that decision

I couldn’t tell you what the outcome could be as far as only being in treatment for 1 month. Did mental health add that to one of your boardable conditions? My PCM and mental health wanted everything to be documented prior to any med board being initiated that way there’s little room for push back from the PEB.

In your case, it’s up to the PEB gods to make that decision

Based on the VA eval my PEBLO had it added to the MEB. I'm just wondering if they'll find it fitting or unfitting. I have a feeling my shoulder will be unfit, but they might find me fit for my PTSD and only give me severance, since the although the rating will be high for that they may try to say "Oh well he's not done with treatment". And then of course give me the boot before I can finish that treatment.

Yea, without being treated fully, there’s no telling what the PEB might say. I wish I had a better answer for you...