Pay Question

AaronJM1984

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’ve been medically retired. My last day of active duty is today (Nov 29th), however I am pending one last paycheck (for Dec 1). I’m confused here, I wasn’t expecting one more check since I am retired. Since Nov 29th is my EAS date, should I still expect to receive my first VA disability payment on Jan 1?

@AaronJM1984 your pay on December 1st is for November 15th until November 29th. You should still receive your VA on Jan 1st because you have been out for an entire month at that point, or at least that's the way I understand it.

@AaronJM1984 your pay on December 1st is for November 15th until November 29th. You should still receive your VA on Jan 1st because you have been out for an entire month at that point, or at least that's the way I understand it.
I was hoping this is the situation. I was expecting to go a whole month without money

See my signature block for my final pay timeline.

I didn't get my pay right on time, but it came rather quickly.

See my timeline below, I got out a year prior to you.

I medically retired 10/29. Got paid for 10/15-10/29 on 11/1. Leave sell back check was deposited 11/8. First retirement check for NOV came on 1 DEC. Still haven't received a payment from the VA, but I'm eligible for CRDP and I just got a letter from DFAS last week about the change to retired pay due to being VA eligible. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Got my own question though because I'm not quite sure what to expect. Like I said, I haven't seen any money from the VA yet. I was VA eligible on 1 NOV so I am due a check for NOV and DEC now. Will I get both amounts at JAN payment? I am guessing the NOV amount will be reduced since I got full retirement pay that month. Anyone got an idea?

I medically retired 10/29. Got paid for 10/15-10/29 on 11/1. Leave sell back check was deposited 11/8. First retirement check for NOV came on 1 DEC. Still haven't received a payment from the VA, but I'm eligible for CRDP and I just got a letter from DFAS last week about the change to retired pay due to being VA eligible. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Got my own question though because I'm not quite sure what to expect. Like I said, I haven't seen any money from the VA yet. I was VA eligible on 1 NOV so I am due a check for NOV and DEC now. Will I get both amounts at JAN payment? I am guessing the NOV amount will be reduced since I got full retirement pay that month. Anyone got an idea?
If you received active duty pay thru 29 Oct 17, that is an indication that you entered into a retired status on 30 Oct 17,
That date would be the earliest effective date possible for VA compensation. Assuming your effective date is 30 October, you would begin to accrue VA comp on 1 Nov 17 and IF paid in real time, the 1st of December would be the date of payment.

The next payment date is 29 Dec 19 for 1-31 Dec 17 (since a weekend and a holiday are involved). MyPay should show what to expect from DFAS and eBenefits should have the "Payment History" (or similar term) posted soon. Note: VA compensation is not prorated.

I suspect that the VA will pay you a regular payment at the end of this month (29 Dec) and a separate payment for retro VA comp, if applicable. Much of this is predicated on when the VA approval occurred. Your award letter from the VA should show what amounts were "withheld". The retro VA comp should be: amount withheld x number of months involved for each separate period (i.e., many awards have multiple rates).

Lemme make it easy, count on no pay for a month.

"If" you get paid, like a bonus!

That might be true. However, there are several important factors in his case and others where a retirement date difference by only one day can affect when one would first accrue VA compensation. For example, regular retirements always occur on the first day of a certain month. The last day of the preceding month is the last day of active duty. The effective date for VA compensation can be no earlier than the first day of retirement.

VA compensation begins to accrue the first day of the month that is after the month that has the effective date for VA compensation. Example: Retirement date for Chapter 61 retiree 15 Oct 17; VA compensation could be effective 15 Oct 17; VA compensation would first accrue for 1-30 Nov 17 and be paid on/about 1 Dec 17.

The one month you described is discussed in the following law:

Month After Law
Ref:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/5111

"...payment of monetary benefits based on an award or an increased award of compensation, dependency and indemnity compensation, or pension may not be made to an individual for any period before the first day of the calendar month following the month in which the award or iincreased award became effective as provided under section 5110 of this title or such other provision of law."

Last edited:
Your dead-on Ron and its something I was aware of and planned for in setting my medical retirement date to maximize my last active duty pay and my coming VA pay. Everyone should be aware of the regulations and take advantage when and if you can. In my case I chose very carefully. I initially planned to choose the 30th, but someone advised me to allow a day in between the retirement day and end of month to make sure VA eligibility started on the 1st of the very next month. If you retire on the last day of the month and become eligible for VA pay on the 1st of the month then I was told you could screw yourself out of a whole month of pay. That is definitely the case if you are made to retire on the 1st day of the month or somehow choose that day.

If you can sustain yourself for a little while, Look at it as money in the bank. Its on the way just be patient.

My husband is at the tail end of medical retirement terminal leave - date of retirement 25 Feb, VA eligible 26 Feb. He has pay pending for 14 Feb. and we were told yesterday that he will have one more paycheck after this...We thought this was the last one? Also, should he expect to see VA pay ok April 1st? TIA.

Based on the info provided, his effective date for VA comp will likely be 26 Feb 18. He will accrue VA comp for 1-31 Mar 18 and IF paid in real time, the payment date would be 30 Mar 18 since 1 Apr 18 is on a Sunday. However, since he is still on active duty at this point, his official VA award/approval letter will not be generated until he is actually retired...at least that was the way it worked for my regular retirement a lifetime ago.

The timing involved with the VA processing will determine when the first payment will be received. With the advance actions that are present today, it seems it would be processed in time for the payment on 30 Mar 18.

Thanks for the quick reply and the information - we appreciate it. Will this (14 Feb) be his last active duty paycheck as well?

He will be paid for 15-25 Feb and wi'll get retired pay 26-28 feb. Then retired pay there after

The last pay check is delayed for a period of time, about 2 to 3 weeks.

Jumping in on this thread. Hoping someone can answer this. I started retirement on 29MAY18 ( few weeks ago). Got the paycheck on the 1st of June as expected and then my payment for my leave days I had to sell back. Checked MyPay this morning and they still have me showing as a active duty account not the format for a RAS.

This leads to my questions. 1- Should I expect to see my retirement the start of July? 2- How long does it take to change over the computer system to reflect my RAS.
* concern for the RAS specifically is cause I have to provide it for my VA filing to show how much I am getting. It is the last thing holding up my filing.
** TDRL MEB/IDES 60%, VA 100% Just trying to keep my lil head above water till things get into a steady flow.

Re: "Checked MyPay this morning and they still have me showing as a active duty account not the format for a RAS.
This leads to my questions. 1- Should I expect to see my retirement the start of July? 2- How long does it take to change over the computer system to reflect my RAS. "

I checked MyPay this morning @ 0515 hrs and my new CRSC statement for the 1-30 June pay period is NOT available yet. All my retired pay was replaced by CRSC so I do not receive a RAS; however, I suspect the documents are produced during the same update. Today is the 22nd so those forms should be available today or Monday at the latest.

Prior to the advent of DFAS, military finance offices could update pay and allowances up to the 19th of each month (approximately) and it would be included in the payment for that month. The DFAS system is similar in that respect; at least that is my understanding.

It appears your retirement documents would have reached DFAS early enough for you to receive your retired pay for 1-30 June on June 29th (July 1st and June 30th are on a weekend).

Ron

Jumping in on this thread. Hoping someone can answer this. I started retirement on 29MAY18 ( few weeks ago). Got the paycheck on the 1st of June as expected and then my payment for my leave days I had to sell back. Checked MyPay this morning and they still have me showing as a active duty account not the format for a RAS.

This leads to my questions. 1- Should I expect to see my retirement the start of July? 2- How long does it take to change over the computer system to reflect my RAS.
* concern for the RAS specifically is cause I have to provide it for my VA filing to show how much I am getting. It is the last thing holding up my filing.
** TDRL MEB/IDES 60%, VA 100% Just trying to keep my lil head above water till things get into a steady flow.
Give it 60 says before you panic. Lost of moving parts, everything worked itself out. My Retired pay came in july vs came in august. Been like clock work everysince