PCM refuses to initite MEB

Brokepilot

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have seen an Army ortho spine surgeon (O-5P) who says my cervical spondylosis with radicular symptoms will not get any better with treatment and recommended an MEB. My PCM (O-3)wants to try phys therapy (again) and pain managament even though ortho says everything is irreversible and I am at MRDP as far as care. Should I call the division surgeon or IG? What's my next step?

Im currently going through something similar. PCM refuses MEB even though I qualify. Have you tried Patient Advocate? Try them and possibly IG. I tried both of those and they were useless. But I hope it's different in your situation.

I am going to see my PCM's supervisor. My ortho surgeon was going to call my PCM and reiterate his dx. My course of action is seeing the other PCM next week. If he does not submit I am going to IG, contacting my ortho again, and contacting the division surgeon. I have also written a letter for distro to all my congressmen in case I need to hit send.

It took about 5 years for my MEB to be initiated. But here are two questions you need to ask yourself. 1. Can you do your job? 2. Are you deployable? If you answers no to either question I would say find the reference in your applicable regulations in what makes your day no and the reference in which situations a MEB should be initiated. Then bring that to your PCM. If your PCM fails to initiate a MEB still I would say bring this information to the IG. Because the IG will want more information that your higher ranking Ortho says you should be MEBed.

Hope this helps.

Ortho says I can no longer wear ACH and anything load bearing including body armor. So I am not deployable and I am unfit for 3 things in AR 40-501. I also can not do my job without wearing 6lbs on my head so I am unable to do it. Also, my condition is not waiverable for flight unless it becomes asymptomatic which it never will be. IG it is.

I would go the div surgeon route first. Maybe if they and the Otho are saying the same things to the PCM then the PCM will change course.

Tony292 that is the best plan. I have no reason to believe they won't be on the same page. I also see no reason a Div. Surgeon couldn't submit it if he wanted to. Especially with the new DOD deployability memo. Hopefully it can be worked out before I need to contact IG.

In the hospital world a surgeon has more clout than a PCM. I agree with @tony292.

I have an appointment with the bde surgeon and have contacted my ombudsman. The ombudsman saw the ortho's recommendation and stated that should have been enough to start the process. More to follow after I see the bde surgeon.

Is it mandatory to accept pain management? Steroid injections into your neck? I was told if you don't do it you can't be recommended for meb.

PCM submitted the P3 March 2nd. How long does the second signature authority have to sign it before it auto expires?

PCM submitted the P3 March 2nd. How long does the second signature authority have to sign it before it auto expires?
Which signature authority? The PCM stating a P3 should be enough to trigger the MEB.

The MEB approving physician at the MTF. My flight doc submitted the P3 but it does not have the second signature yet. How long do they have to sign it before it expires?