PCS from CONUS to OCONUS when MEB complete question

misterT

Registered Member
Here's the story,

My packet is about to be sent to Ft. Lewis for ratings and now I'm beginning to pre-plan when I leave the Army.

My home of record states Tucson, AZ. I'm currently at Fort Bliss with dependents. Even though I enlisted from Tucson, S1 says I can't change my home of record, I'm from Nicaragua and that is where I plan to move once I get out. The only reason why my home of record says Tucson is because I couldn't enlist from Nicaragua, I needed to be in the US (no recruiters overseas or MEPS.)

Will the ARMY cover the shipment of my household goods and my vehicle, to include any customs fees like importation taxes and what not?

Also, I read somewhere that if PCSing OCONUS, you rate 30 days of PTDY. Is this true?

I do not think they are going to allow it.

You must complete your travel before the 181st day (6 months) after your Separation Date on your orders. And, your travel is limited to your Home of Record (HOR) or your Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD).

I do not think they are going to allow it.

You must complete your travel before the 181st day (6 months) after your Separation Date on your orders. And, your travel is limited to your Home of Record (HOR) or your Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD).
I was always told that you can go anywhere you want but the military will only pay for the cost that they would incur if you were returning to your HOR or PLEAD. I may be wrong but that's the impression I had.

It was my understanding that if you are medically retired, you rated the same as a retiree and are entitled to Shipment of Household Goods to Home of Selection(HOS)

O.P. asked about PCS. Retirement is home of choice, not to exceed any cost as if moving within the Continental USA.

This is what my orders read for retirement from JBLM:

a. You are authorized up to one year to complete selection of home and complete travel in connection with this action. Movement of dependents, and shipment of household goods to home selection is authorized. Authorization for retirement is DA Orders. You will report to the Veterans Affairs (VA) Office, Building 2140 - with your Health Record upon receipt of these orders. REPORT TO RETIREMENT SECTION, TRANSITION CENTER, BLDG 2140, FOR OUT PROCESSING INSTRUCTIONS. CALL (253) 968-6603/DSN 782-6603 OR (253) 966-1268/DSN 347-1268.

According to JFTR, para U5130 A

1: A member may select a home:

a. Any place within the U.S.;

b. The HOR outside the U.S. or the place outside the U.S. from which the member was initially called or ordered to active duty (53 Comp. Gen. 963 (1974), 54 id. 1042 (1975)); or

c. Any other place. NOTE: Allowances paid in this case must not exceed those payable had the member selected a home at a CONUS location specified by the member