PDBR Retirement Decision

ka7811b

Registered Member
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while, and want to start by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences. The sharing of this knowledge has greatly helped with my understanding of this process.

On June 25th, I received a packet from the Army Review Boards Agency stating that they have made the decision to change my medical separation to a medical retirement at 30%. I was initially rated by the PEB at 20%.

This has been my timeline so far:
August 2007 - Medically separated from the Army at 20% with severance pay
April 2009 - VA rating decision of 10%
January 2017 - Submitted PDBR form
April 2018 - PDBR decision sent to the Army
June 4th 2018 - ARBA decision written
June 25th 2018 - Decision received by mail

The packet I recently received states that I should now be anticipating orders and a packet from DFAS. I called to make sure my address was correct with ARBA on the 26th and was informed that my packet was being sent to my last duty station that day.

I started receiving VA payments after the severance pay was recouped in 2011. It is my understanding that I can expect to receive back pay for the difference in the retirement pay and the VA disability payments that I have been receiving for the last 11 years. Does anyone have any information at what rate the back pay is taxed? From what I have been able to gather, it will be based off of the year in question's tax rate, and my tax bracket for that year. Do I submit prior years tax returns to DFAS? Am I completely wrong? The DFAS site is pretty quiet on what to expect for PDBR back pay.

What kind of timeline should I expect going forward as far as receiving orders and getting everything squared away with DFAS?

Any additional information regarding any part of this process would also be greatly appreciated.

Warrior644

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

I have been reading this forum for a while, and want to start by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences. The sharing of this knowledge has greatly helped with my understanding of this process.

On June 25th, I received a packet from the Army Review Boards Agency stating that they have made the decision to change my medical separation to a medical retirement at 30%. I was initially rated by the PEB at 20%.

This has been my timeline so far:
August 2007 - Medically separated from the Army at 20% with severance pay
April 2009 - VA rating decision of 10%
January 2017 - Submitted PDBR form
April 2018 - PDBR decision sent to the Army
June 4th 2018 - ARBA decision written
June 25th 2018 - Decision received by mail

The packet I recently received states that I should now be anticipating orders and a packet from DFAS. I called to make sure my address was correct with ARBA on the 26th and was informed that my packet was being sent to my last duty station that day.

I started receiving VA payments after the severance pay was recouped in 2011. It is my understanding that I can expect to receive back pay for the difference in the retirement pay and the VA disability payments that I have been receiving for the last 11 years. Does anyone have any information at what rate the back pay is taxed? From what I have been able to gather, it will be based off of the year in question's tax rate, and my tax bracket for that year. Do I submit prior years tax returns to DFAS? Am I completely wrong? The DFAS site is pretty quiet on what to expect for PDBR back pay.

What kind of timeline should I expect going forward as far as receiving orders and getting everything squared away with DFAS?

Any additional information regarding any part of this process would also be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed from a congratulatory point of view, it's extremely pleasing to read that the ARBA recharacterized your previous medical disability separation to a medical disability retirement at a DoD (Army) 30% rating! As such, enjoy, take care and have a happy 4th of July celebration!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

ka7811b

Registered Member
Quick update.

Yesterday my HRC Portal had my "Current Org" field as Archived. Today it states Permanent Disability Retirement List.

There are no new documents (DD-215 or new orders) yet.

jdelatorre

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’m in the same boat. Changed a week ago from cold storage (archived) to PDRL. Figure should see
Something in the next week or so hopefully

JohnnyAirforce

Registered Member
I have the same thing going on with me. I was medically discharged in 2007, and applied for review with PDBR in June 2015. My decision was received in February 2018. I have been recharacterized to 80% and retired.

Yes your retro pay will be taxed and it is at a supplemental income rate of 25%. Ten your severance pay comes out and your VA offset. Whatever is left over is your lump sum retro pay.

You will have to attend a SBP briefing before you get orders. The current average timeline from decision to orders is about 3-4 months depending on service. Army is the fastest. So figure 2 months. Then 2-3 months after that you will get DFAS audit and payment. It’s still a little wait but the speculation is over for us and we can breathe easy sir. Congrats!!

ka7811b

Registered Member
That is great news!

My HRC Documents section doesn't have the DD215 posted yet, so I am hoping I will see it there soon.

ka7811b

Registered Member
My DD215 is up on HRC and DPRIS, but I still have not received any additional information via mail. I was hoping that I would have my orders by now.

Also, yesterday I received a letter from DFAS and the IRS regarding a tax refund for having paid taxes on my disability severance from when I was separated. Is this triggered by movement on my post-PDBR or is this just a coincidence?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">