PDBR Retirement Decision

Thank you so much for your help. I should be getting CRDP. My VA is more than my retirement. To my knowledge I'm going to be receiving both Army 50% pay plus VA 80%. Just confusing because they don't give you any information with the statement as far as, how was this number gathered. I appreciate all your help.

You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP. Example: receives Chapter 61 disability retirement, but also qualifies for regular retirement of 20 years active duty.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Example: receives Chapter 61 disability retirement, but also qualifies for regular retirement of 20 years active duty.You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
I wish you good luck, but none of your remarks show eligibility for a retirement other than CH 61 with less than 20 years active duty.
If you qualified for a regular retirement you would have received it from the beginning. No mention of qualification for reserve retirement has been made either.

Ron

Last edited:
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP. Example: receives Chapter 61 disability retirement, but also qualifies for regular retirement of 20 years active duty.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Example: receives Chapter 61 disability retirement, but also qualifies for regular retirement of 20 years active duty.You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
I wish good luck, but none of your remarks show eligibility for a retirement other than CH 61 with less than 20 years active duty.
If you qualified for a regular retirement you would have received it from the beginning. No mention of qualification for reserve retirement has been made either.

Ron
I just fall under the first one and I have a 80% rating with the VA & 50% disability retirement with the Army. I understand the rest. I'll post back Friday to see what I was actually given. Thank you again for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_104004.jpg
    IMG_20181125_104004.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 13
I just fall under the first one and I have a 80% rating with the VA & 50% disability retirement with the Army. I understand the rest. I'll post back Friday to see what I was actually given. Thank you again for all your help.
Yes, that is accurate (the attachment)...

A regular retirement is a 20 year active duty retirement. Since you have not been receiving retirement pay after your discharge it is unlikely you have a “regular retirement.”

Types of retirement

—Regular, 20 years or more active duty
—TERA, Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) authorized members with over 15, but less than 20 years of total active duty service to apply for early retirement
—Disability
—Reserve

Ron