PDBR retroactive payment to the time of separation?

Whoa...I got my retirement orders April 2014, was granted SSDI and started collecting it around April or may. So am I supposed to be paying for Medicare or something? What did I miss, I go to the VA for all medical stuff.
You have to be be collecting SSDI for 2 years before you are eligible for Medicare Parts A and B. So once you are eligible for SSDI and are a Retiree, you MUST enroll in Medicare Parts A and B to keep your Tricare benefits.

The key answer to your question is: how far back did SSDI award your benefits? If they gave you back pay from April 2012 then you would be eligible for Medicare and thus need to be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B.

I hope this helps.

Whoa...I got my retirement orders April 2014, was granted SSDI and started collecting it around April or may. So am I supposed to be paying for Medicare or something? What did I miss, I go to the VA for all medical stuff.

I suggest you contact Tricare to see if you have eligibility for Tricare.

I was on SSDI before I was placed onto PDRL and did not need to pay for Medicare A/B until I retired.

I was told in order to have Tricare as an insurance (secondary to Medicare), I had to pay for my Medicare.

So SSA takes out 104.90 every month out of my SSDI check every month for Medicare.

Tricare told me I was eligible for Tricare because I pay Medicare A/B.

If you have been on SSDI for 24 months, then if you want Tricare, you need to pay for Medicare A/B.

So here in the USA, I have access to VA, and then for civilian medical/hospital I have health insurance coverage from Medicare A/B & Tricare.

If I move to GUAM for using the GI Bill, I will have all those policies in place.

If I move to the Philippines for using the GI Bill, I will have limited VA and only Tricare.

If you are outside the USA and have Tricare, you often times have to pay for everything up-front first, make sure ALL your medical receipts are in ENGLISH, do a bunch of Tricare paperwork and then send all that stuff to Tricare and wait a few months for your refund of money you paid for your medical care.

nwlivewire

Last edited:
Oh, ok thanks. My SSDI was granted September 2013, had to wait 6 months before drawing any from SSA. So September 2015 I will have to buy or pay fro medicare in order to keep Tricare.

Oh, ok thanks. My SSDI was granted September 2013, had to wait 6 months before drawing any from SSA. So September 2015 I will have to buy or pay fro medicare in order to keep Tricare.

I had been receiving SSDI for over 24 months before I was PDRL'ed. So I did NOT have to pay Medicare while on AD & going through IDES.

But once I retired, I had to start paying Medicare to get Tricare.

That's why I suggest you call Tricare to see where you fall into this mix.

You situation is a bit different than mine.

Your assumption about NOT having to pay for Medicare A/B until SEP 2015 in order to get TriCare may or may not be true.

nwlivewire

Hello. Has anyone recieved any pdbr results from a 2013 submission? I submitted my pdbr case file in Dec. 2013 and they stated it is still in final processing. I am 100 and I am 100 due to unemploybility. ( I know that is odd but I am 100 but not permanent). My question is will I receive retirement pay? I have paid all my severance back years ago. Any help would be great thanks.

You must be a Retiree, other than solely by disability. So, it precludes Chapter 61 Retirees from getting CRDP.

K you have been a big help

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, Chap 61 retirees can and do qualify for CRDP if they have 20 yrs active federal service, or 20 year letter for reservists (TERA eligibility is a technical possibility for qualifying for CRDP, but I see issues with showing retirement eligibility under TERA because of program eligibility issues for those in DES...).

Yes, but to draw CRDP, you my not only be rated for unemployability, but you must also meet the secondary condition of 20 years of service, or have a TERA letter.

I walk through this with DFAS, because of the wording on my letter, that preceded the orders I received. Once you receive your full package from the PDRL office, make an appointment with your local Army Retirement Officer(RO). The RO will help guide you through the transition from medical separation to your retirement.

You must be a Retiree, other than solely by disability. So, it precludes Chapter 61 Retirees from getting CRDP.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, Chap 61 retirees can and do qualify for CRDP if they have 20 yrs active federal service, or 20 year letter for reservists (TERA eligibility is a technical possibility for qualifying for CRDP, but I see issues with showing retirement eligibility under TERA because of program eligibility issues for those in DES...).

Thanks Jason,

Hello. Has anyone recieved any pdbr results from a 2013 submission? I submitted my pdbr case file in Dec. 2013 and they stated it is still in final processing.
Sorry, I can't answer this part, but I do know it normally takes about 12 months to process, as I have been through it already. So, try to be patient, I know it is hard, but try.
I am 100 and I am 100 due to unemploybility. ( I know that is odd but I am 100 but not permanent). My question is will I receive retirement pay? I have paid all my severance back years ago. Any help would be great thanks.

Without knowing more details, the short answer would be no. You can read up on the retirement pay options at the following http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/disability.html

However, as I stated earlier in the thread, this is what will happen based upon my experience, should the PDBR award your retirement:

1st: Yes, DFAS adjusted my pay to the original date of separation.
2nd: No, this did not result in me receiving back pay.
3rd: DFAS conducted audit of VA records, for separation pay recoupment.
4th: The results of the audit offset the Gross amount owed to DFAS for separation pay received.
5th: And, back pay was forfeit due to waiver of Retirement Pay, for VA Compensation.
6th: Yes, the VA continued to recoup severance until the net amount owed was recovered.

In your case, you have paid back the net amount, so DFAS would just offset the Gross amount.

Thank you for your help. I am trying my best to be patient. I hope everything works out for the best for my case.

What were the results?

I have a question about the PDBR Board. I am right now on the final stage of desicion since January 6, 2016. Its been a long process since October 2014. I have paid my severance pay in full with the VA. What will happen if I get the retirement in my case. I am 90% service connected and 100% unemployability since the next day of my medical separation. I medically separated with severance pay on Sept 22, 2004, and I'm 100% IU since Sept 23, 2004. I am Total and Permanent since March 2009. My dependants have chapter 35 which my spouse already used. The question is what will happen if I already paid in full since 2008 my severance pay to the VA?

If you are retired; probably nothing. You paid it back. If you get retired; you should have never received severance in the first place.

You can opt out of paying for Medicare go into the social security office and fill out a former it will five you an extra 94 or so a month extra.

You can opt out of paying for Medicare go into the social security office and fill out a former it will five you an extra 94 or so a month extra.

If you are eligible for medicare part b, you must accept it in order to receive Tricare benefits. You will be switched from Tricare for Retirees to Tricare for Life.

It kinda sucks because it will cost you about $100 extra per month, but those are the rules.

I found out the hard way because while I was on active duty, I was eligible for medicare from SSDI. I opted out to save the $104.00 per month. Once I was medically retired, I was enrolled into Tricare for Retirees and had a few medical appointments and procedures done. Tricare cancelled my coverage and I had to reinstate my Medicare Part B to get Tricare for life. What this did was create a gap month from in between when I was medically retired and when my TFL began. I had to pay my doctors for all of my medical appointments for an entire month.

Thanks for the info, I haven't opted out of my Medicare my son did, I didn't know that, thanks much for posting this information, you might be saving others aggravation you had to deal with, thanks much.
If you are eligible for medicare part b, you must accept it in order to receive Tricare benefits. You will be switched from Tricare for Retirees to Tricare for Life.

It kinda sucks because it will cost you about $100 extra per month, but those are the rules.

I found out the hard way because while I was on active duty, I was eligible for medicare from SSDI. I opted out to save the $104.00 per month. Once I was medically retired, I was enrolled into Tricare for Retirees and had a few medical appointments and procedures done. Tricare cancelled my coverage and I had to reinstate my Medicare Part B to get Tricare for life. What this did was create a gap month from in between when I was medically retired and when my TFL began. I had to pay my doctors for all of my medical appointments for an entire month.

Has anyone recieved retro pay from doing your Pdbr and if so did they recoup the severace pay from your retro pay? In the process just trying figure out if and what i will be due if any. Thanks for any help in advance.
To my understanding VA will get their portion first and the remainder will come to you. I had to call VA to get my payoff.

So I need some advice. I was medically separated in 2006 with a 10% PEB. I got a severance pay that was recouped by them withholding my VA disability (70%)for a while, but that is all paid up. (In fact it was over paid and they owed me). So now I get a letter saying I should apply for the PDBR and get my rating possibly changed. My question is, 1.Could I get back pay to 2006? 2. How does my VA disability fit into all this? 3. Since the severance has been paid would that not be a factor? Thanks for any insight!

If you are granted retirement you would "receive" backpay back to your date of separation. But the very very large majority never actually receive any money because their VA disability compensation offsets their retirement pay.

Your VA disability comp and pen exam is reviewed by the board. And as stated above, your VA disability pay will affect any retirement backpay you may be entitled to.

As far as the severance being a factor I don't understand what you are asking? If you are asking if you will get your severance back if you are given a retirement that answer is no.

Read as many of the postings in this board as you can. It'll answer nearly every question you have about the board! We don't apply to the PDBR because of huge cash payouts. We apply for the Tricare, base access, commissary privileges, and for the correction to our military records and the retirement we should have been given all along.

Hopes this helps!!

If you are granted retirement you would "receive" backpay back to your date of separation. But the very very large majority never actually receive any money because their VA disability compensation offsets their retirement pay.

Your VA disability comp and pen exam is reviewed by the board. And as stated above, your VA disability pay will affect any retirement backpay you may be entitled to.

As far as the severance being a factor I don't understand what you are asking? If you are asking if you will get your severance back if you are given a retirement that answer is no.

Read as many of the postings in this board as you can. It'll answer nearly every question you have about the board! We don't apply to the PDBR because of huge cash payouts. We apply for the Tricare, base access, commissary privileges, and for the correction to our military records and the retirement we should have been given all along.

Hopes this helps!!
So I guess what my new question is, according to what I read I may qualify for Concurrent as my VA rating is 70%. How would that effect my backpay?

You would only qualify for concurrent with 20 years. Your VA rating looks high enough and good to go for that.