PEB submission to fit/unfit

USAF90210

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
At some point I'll get my whole timeline together for others to reference. Generally speaking it's all been on schedule.

Just got my UNFIT decision today. My case was sent to the IPEB exactly 3 weeks ago, 1 referred condition

24MAR - IPEB decided UNFIT
03APR - Claim closed/VA sent ratings letter (no info received)

Pretty soon then! How many claims did u have? Unfits?? If you don't mind me asking?

Pretty soon then! How many claims did u have? Unfits?? If you don't mind me asking?

1 referred condition, unfit by IPEB.

30 total conditions submitted to VA, of which the majority will be 0% I'm sure. And of those 30, plenty will be pyramid together; but the MSC put them all in so I'm not complaining. Later, I'll be figuring out the NOD thing, because since my original C&P plenty of stuff has changed...

MSC hooked me up with info.

Proposed ratings: 30% DOD, 80% VA

No word from PEB, obviously nothing is official until it's official. But the good news is retirement, and the second good news is I'm getting at least 80% VA. Once I have the official breakout, I'll be able to plan a COA for NOD and get some VA stuff changed. I know of a few things in my medical records that changed since way back during the C&P appointments. With a little luck, I may make it to 100% VA... with time.

MSC hooked me up with info.

Proposed ratings: 30% DOD, 80% VA

No word from PEB, obviously nothing is official until it's official. But the good news is retirement, and the second good news is I'm getting at least 80% VA. Once I have the official breakout, I'll be able to plan a COA for NOD and get some VA stuff changed. I know of a few things in my medical records that changed since way back during the C&P appointments. With a little luck, I may make it to 100% VA... with time.

Congrats! That is fantastic, hoping that it all works out smoothly for you....

Things are flying. MyPers email today saying my AF356 was sent to PEBLO.

Hoping to hear from PEBLO soon.

Retired Friday, the 28th of July. Uploaded DD-214 (member1) on Friday, then when I learned there's another version, the member4, I uploaded that today. I also sent both to my MSC who has also uploaded them into the VA system today. Lastly, I uploaded both DD-214's specifically to the VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility section so that the CoE can hopefully change to say veteran instead of active duty. I'm in escrow on a house right now, and need to get a CoE that doesn't say contingent on remaining Active Duty. I was able to get the funding fee exempt before separation.

I'm definitely interested to see how long it takes to get my final ratings. Between the time of receiving my informal ratings and retirement I added more medical information through my MSC. I wanted to resubmit the VA's own document for something they looked over on my initial ratings; but I thought it might look bad and piss someone off so I let it go, since they supposedly re-review the whole record. We'll see, it was a 30% item that I wasn't even aware of until the C&P examiner pointed it out to me in my records. I'm really not looking forward to doing an appeal if they miss it again. But it would likely be the difference in 90% VA rating and 100% VA rating, which is obviously HUGE by itself, and additionally my state exempts 100% P&T from property tax (which happens to be high here).

Bittersweet, but happy to be done... kind of. Thanks everyone along the way through the process.

I heard that for your orders you sit down and figure out your date of separation with someone. Is that correct? I'm Air force by the way so I assume mine would be similar.

I heard that for your orders you sit down and figure out your date of separation with someone. Is that correct? I'm Air force by the way so I assume mine would be similar.

I think I did my process a little different than most. I was stationed at a joint command, army base, and did not out process directly with the air force at all.

As I remember it, there was a worksheet I filed out with my peblo. On it I stated how many days of ptdy my CC was authorizing me, and how many days of terminal leave I planned to use. That info combined with how much time the air force expects you to need to outprocessing gave me my separation date.

I don't feel like I had any direct control over the date, just ability to control the variables afpc uses to make their decision. You may be able to handle it in person at MPF and get simpler choices.

I think I did my process a little different than most. I was stationed at a joint command, army base, and did not out process directly with the air force at all.

As I remember it, there was a worksheet I filed out with my peblo. On it I stated how many days of ptdy my CC was authorizing me, and how many days of terminal leave I planned to use. That info combined with how much time the air force expects you to need to outprocessing gave me my separation date.

I don't feel like I had any direct control over the date, just ability to control the variables afpc uses to make their decision. You may be able to handle it in person at MPF and get simpler choices.

It seems like most people end up figuring it out with their peblo. What was the estimated time for your out processing? I've already completed TAPS so luckily I don't have to do that anymore.

It seems like most people end up figuring it out with their peblo. What was the estimated time for your out processing? I've already completed TAPS so luckily I don't have to do that anymore.

I think the rough time period was 2 weeks? I hate to say, even though it was relatively recent, I can't remember too well.

Taps was so ungodly painful

TAPS is a waste of time for individuals that can think for themselves.

Yes it was. My god...so glad I have it done.

I just did the pre-TAPS class today...wow...I am trying to just take the 1 day TAPS class after sitting through the class today.

So, to recap I retired on 28JUL. Obviously I've now been sitting in the dark hoping I start seeing deposits into my bank account, lol.

Yesterday, 08AUG, my finance office called me to say they're processing my final pay and wanted to run something by me. It was in reference to an SRB payment I received in 2016, and they wanted to know if I had worked out a repayment plan. I said, my understanding is that because separation was medical retirement via MEB, repayment is not required. She concurred that this made sense to her, but she wanted to ensure we were on the same page before she pushed to DFAS. She sounded very junior (likely experiencing my exact situation for the first time) and I greatly appreciated her contacting me, to see if I was prepared, rather than just pushing stuff along. I'm also selling back 41 days of leave, so I'm pretty excited to get my pay (I'm also closing on a house in 2 weeks, and could use the cash......). Either way, it was great to be updated that finance is done and DFAS should have my info; hopefully payment is soon to arrive.

Today, 09AUG, I checked ebenefits once again, and happily there is a change. I have no idea what it actually means, but a change certainly signifies progress of some type. The long-standing compensation claim (created after accepting PEB decision) is still in "gathering of evidence" with overdue suspenses. The change is a new compensation claim with status of "under review".

Does anyone know what this specifically means? I have not seen very much talk of this status on the forum. Assumption says they are routing the final ratings through the approval chain, which is good. I was hoping it may mean they are re-reviewing the additional evidence I provided through my MSC after the proposed ratings were completed. A small delay in final ratings would be much, much better than having to do a time-consuming NOD afterwards.

So, as I said finance called on 8AUG, and said they were pushing info to dfas. 3 days later, 11AUG payment was pending with USAA.

9AUG ebenefits added a new work in progress, backdated to my retirement date of 29JUL. Today, 14AUG, my old open claim is closed, and the last one now says "preparation for decision, development letter sent". Also, when I go on ebenefits to the disabilities section it lists all my claimed conditions individually, but still listed as pending. Overall rating is still blank.

Sorry I'm getting all detailed. I'm trying to make up for my lack of timeline during MEB/PEB phase.

Today, 16AUG, there is no change in the status (pending decision approval), but when I click on the claim the tab "Needed from Others" actually has something. At no stage before now has "Needed from You" or "Needed from Others" ever had anything listed.

What it says is needed, and I quote, "<VA Medical Facility>". My guess, based on pure assumption, is they have requested information from the VA Med center who conducted my C&P exam. Hopefully it's for something to my benefit, and not detriment, lol. With that said, maybe it's just moving through the normal process; I'm going to do some forum searches on the subject.

Mine did this when the PEB requested clarification on the ratings they had provided. Took about a week for the VA to answer the question and return it to the PEB. Only time I saw a "needed from others" show up.