Pending MEB

JayT

Registered Member
I'm a 41 yr old AD GySgt 6 months post-op, C6-7 fusion as a result of a MCMAP related injury. I have additional degenerative disc condition and arthritis in my neck. On my release from the surgeon he stated "no running permanently." On top of this, I'm dealing with a re-occurring shoulder impingement and now shoulder arthritis. An additional surgery to fix the shoulder issues is likely.

Being told not to run again changes everything. No Physical fitness or Combat Fitness test...if I can't run to train and pass one or both, I can't re-enlist. The Corps wont view me as fit or deployable. Does what the surgeon noted change things in the eyes of DOD regarding ratings or retirement vs. separation?

Sure I would like to retire, however, the risks outweigh the reward. I have broken time and 6 yrs left to full retirement.

Any insight is appreciated...

Last edited:

Warrior644

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm a 41 yr old AD GySgt 6 months post-op, C6-7 fusion as a result of a MCMAP related injury. I have additional degenerative disc condition and arthritis in my neck. On my release from the surgeon he stated "no running permanently." On top of this, I'm dealing with a re-occurring shoulder impingement and now shoulder arthritis. An additional surgery to fix the shoulder issues is likely.

Being told not to run again changes everything. No Physical fitness or Combat Fitness test...if I can't run to train and pass one or both, I can't re-enlist. The Corps wont view me as fit or deployable. Does what the surgeon noted change things in the eyes of DOD regarding ratings or retirement vs. separation?

Sure I would like to retire, however, the risks outweigh the reward. I have broken time and 6 yrs left to full retirement.

Any insight is appreciated...
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Well, despite the advances in modern medicine and the best efforts of patients, some military service members cannot be returned to a full-duty status. In this event, it will be necessary for the military service member to be referred to the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES).

As such, the IDES process begins whenever a military service member's medical providers determine that the military service member's ability to continue military service is questionable due to a physical or mental impairment. It is the impact of the medical condition(s) upon the military service member ability to perform duties appropriate to his or her rank and job skill that is important.

Moreover, it is important to remember that the DoD IDES process is a performance-based system. Simply because a military service member has a medical condition does not mean that the military service member cannot continue to serve on active duty or in the reserve component/national guard.

To that extent, a military service member with a serious medical condition can be found fit when the evidence establishes that the military service member can perform his or her duties. The mere fact that one or more medical conditions exist does not constitute an unfit determination. Also, the inability to deploy to austere environments is only one factor in determining unfitness.

In reference to the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process officially published timeline, please view my following PEB Forum URL thread for a detailed explanation about the entire DoD IDES process:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/a-detailed-explanation-of-the-dod-ides-meb-peb-process.22807/

With that all said, please take care and continue to get well! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Warrior644

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for all the great info!
No worries; you are quite welcome! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!