PLD request to complete service obligation for Navy funded Education

cami09

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I plan on requesting PLD to reach my Minimum Service Obligation (MSR) which is Sep 2013. Is there anyone out there that has seen a PLD request get approved for a Junior Officer? It's probably an uncommon request for a JO but i figured there has to be someone who has done it. I would like to know my odds at it getting approved. I will have a strong endorsement from my CO asking to keep me at his command to fill a critical billet since we are manned at roughly 70%. Any thoughts?

Is your plan PLD and then be medically retired or discharged? Or simply PLD to reach EAS and standard discharge?

If you are in MEB/PEB process your EAS is no longer an issue. If your intent it to ride it out for classes you are currently taking you won't need to pay it back. If an MEB/PEB is in process I believe they are supposed to prevent you from enrolling in new classes. I'll try and track the education directives down on it. I haven't come across them in a while, but see what I find.

Interesting situation and sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. If you post a little more info others might have better guidance.

Thanks for the response!

This is my second medical board. The first one I fought like hell to be found Fit because I want to be in the military. Unfortunately after being found Fit I went into kidney failure which resulted in me being referred to a second medical board.

My proposed ratings from the VA are DOD 80% VA 90%. The 80% is for renal dysfunction (Stage 3b CKD) which was caused by an autoimmune disease. I'm facing dialysis and kidney transplant in the near future. I'm currently just waiting for the ratings to become official by the Navy via the PEB. I was so relieved when I got my proposed rating because having medical coverage is HUGE and am very thankful to have gotten a fair rating.

I went through the Navy ROTC program and was commissioned in Aug 2009. My contract states that I need to do 4 years Active Duty and 4 years Reserve. I understand that with medical retirement/separation my service obligation will be waived and i will not need to pay anything back.

I wish to continue on active duty in a PLD status till Aug 2013 because I fill a critical billet at my command and we are undermanned at 70% and underbilleted for the amount of work we do (as are most commands im sure). There are no plans to receive any more billets until FY15. My CO strongly supports my PLD request.

SECNAVINST 1850.4E Chapter 6 states:

CHNAVPERS and CMC (M&RA) may retain Unfit to continue naval service members on active duty in a PLD status for the period required to complete their active service obligation for:

b. Funded education programs including Naval Academy, NROTC, Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarships, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences and equivalent funded education programs; advanced education or technical training requiring additional obligated service , including postgraduate education, service school or college, law school, medical residency (including fellowships), flight training, naval flight officer training, and equivalent programs.ASN (M&RA), or CHNAVPERS or CMC (M&RA) as delegated by ASN (M&RA), may waive the requirement in cases in which, as a result of the disabling condition, there is no billet in which the disabled officer can adequately perform the required duties.

I think it is a long shot because I haven't been in for very long but I figure all I can do is ask and have a strong endorsement from my CO to back me up!

It's worth a shot. As long as it doesn't cause harm to your medical condition I don't see a reason you shouldn't ask for it. Thanks for responding, it was a new question I haven't seen.

Wish you the best,