PTSD before the service

jellis23

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Before I joined I was a firefighter and EMT, naturally I saw some shit that still haunts me. I work in the Operating room and a daily occurrence is using electo cautery to burn vessels to control bleeding. The smell always reminds me of my past and causes me to delay in work. Im currently starting the medboard process for schizoaffective disorder but can I claim that the service aggravated my PTSD?

Before I joined I was a firefighter and EMT, naturally I saw some shit that still haunts me. I work in the Operating room and a daily occurrence is using electo cautery to burn vessels to control bleeding. The smell always reminds me of my past and causes me to delay in work. Im currently starting the medboard process for schizoaffective disorder but can I claim that the service aggravated my PTSD?
Yes. However, there are other considerations.

Claiming multiple MH disorders is not going to increase your compensation. With few exceptions, mental health disorders are given a single rating based on social/occupational impact. So trying to make multiple mental health claims muddies the waters and gains you $0. You are also risking introducing preexisting medical conditions.