ptsd rating

I just seen my GAF and it is at 55

Hey Grizz, I have the same GAF also from the VA. Did you get the 50% from the VA or from the Army? I don't think the Army is going to rate my PTSD as unfitting, but how does the VA do it? Is it 50% for good, or is it re-evaluated often? If I get 50% for PTSD it'll take me to 100% from the VA.
My situation was different and had some very high-ups eyes on it, I went back through my ratings lastnight and saw my GAF was 50 not 55. I was rated differently, by getting 50% PDRL for mental issues and 50% from the VA. I would assume that I will be going to reevaluations with the VA in the next year or two after my first appt this month.

I really can not tell you much as of yet but expect to get minimum 30% TDRL on MH alone, VA may rate you at 50 or 30%...

I could not find the words "GAF SCORE" in my 16 page C&P PTSD exam. Although under the Axis I-V it has Axis I as PTSD and under that it says score 55. Is that where the GAF Score is even though I never it doesn't say "GAF SCORE" ?

I could not find the words "GAF SCORE" in my 16 page C&P PTSD exam. Although under the Axis I-V it has Axis I as PTSD and under that it says score 55. Is that where the GAF Score is even though I never it doesn't say "GAF SCORE" ?
Yes your GAF is 55 for PTSD.

isnt PTSD no less that 50% now?

isnt PTSD no less that 50% now?
If it's unfitting. If it's not an unfitting condition the 50% doesn't apply.

§4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress.

When a mental disorder that develops in service as a result of a highly stressful event is severe enough to bring about the veteran’s release from active military service, the rating agency shall assign an evaluation of not less than 50 percent and schedule an examination within the six month period following the veteran’s discharge to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

If it's unfitting. If it's not an unfitting condition the 50% doesn't apply.

§4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress.

When a mental disorder that develops in service as a result of a highly stressful event is severe enough to bring about the veteran’s release from active military service, the rating agency shall assign an evaluation of not less than 50 percent and schedule an examination within the six month period following the veteran’s discharge to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale (DSM - IV Axis V)

Note:
This version of the GAF scale is intended for academic use only. Although it is based on the clinical scale presented in the DSM - IV, this summary lacks the detail and specificity of the original document. The complete GAF scale on page 32 of the DSM - IV should be consulted for clinical use.

Code
Description of Functioning

91 - 100

Person has no problems OR has superior functioning in several areas OR is admired and sought after by others due to positive qualities

81 - 90

Person has few or no symptoms. Good functioning in several areas. No more than "everyday" problems or concerns.

71 - 80

Person has symptoms/problems, but they are temporary, expectable reactions to stressors. There is no more than slight impairment in any area of psychological functioning.

61 - 70

Mild symptoms in one area
OR difficulty in one of the following: social, occupational, or school functioning. BUT, the person is generally functioning pretty well and has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

51 - 60

Moderate symptoms
OR moderate difficulty in one of the following: social, occupational, or school functioning.

41 - 50

Serious symptoms
OR serious impairment in one of the following: social, occupational, or school functioning.

31 - 40

Some impairment in reality testing
OR impairment in speech and communication OR serious impairment in several of the following: occupational or school functioning, interpersonal relationships, judgment, thinking, or mood.

21 - 30

Presence of hallucinations or delusions which influence behavior
OR serious impairment in ability to communicate with others OR serious impairment in judgment OR inability to function in almost all areas.

11 - 20

There is some danger of harm to self or others OR occasional failure to maintain personal hygiene OR the person is virtually unable to communicate with others due to being incoherent or mute.

1 - 10

Persistent danger of harming self or others
OR persistent inability to maintain personal hygiene OR person has made a serious attempt at suicide.

Yes your GAF is 55 for PTSD.
If my GAF is 45 what is posible rating?

GAE

is 45 for pTSD, depression, cognitive disorder.

The
claims are:

1)
PTSD-- present, moderately severe, daily sx

2)
depression-- present, daily, moderately severe

3) anxiety-- present,
dai-1y, part of pTSD

4)
"memory lapses or foss"-- present, cognitive disorder due to TBI

tr \) t"t c^ o^ ^gnitive colnmunication disorder" -- I don't see that he's having difficulty communicatingr., he probably did closer to the time of his inj ury .

TBI
is present and the memory trouble, dizziness, headaches, fatiques

certainl_y
worsen his pTSD and depression.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:
gross impairment in thought processes or communication;
persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate
behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent
inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance
of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory
loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name .................... 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,
due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals
which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,
obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting
the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;
impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods
of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and
hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including
work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain
effective relationships ........................................................................................ 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and
productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,
circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once
a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment
of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned
material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired
abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in
establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships ................ 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational
tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine
behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms
as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or
less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as
forgetting names, directions, recent events) ....................................................... 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled
by continuous medication .................................................................................. 10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social
functioning or to require continuous medication.................................................. 0

did the examiner stated Total and Occupational and social impairment on your exam???

did the examiner stated Total and Occupational and social impairment on your exam???
This is noted as summary

PTSD INITIAL: EEFECTS OF PTSD ON OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL FUNCTIONING

IS THERE TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAI- IMPAIRMENT DUE TO PTSD SIGNS AND
SYMPTOMS? NO

IE THERE IS NOT TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT, DO PTSD SIGNS AND

SYMPTOMS RESULT IN DEFICIENCIES IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS (JUDGMENT, THINKING,
FAMILY

RELATIONS, WORK. MOOD OR SCHOOL) ? YES

JUDGMENT? YES

EXAMPLES INCLUDING THOSE ALREADY REPORTED? Affected by irritability

THINKING? Yes

EXAMPLES INCLUDTNG THOSE ALREADY REPORTED? Negativistic

FAMILY RELATTONS? NO

WORK? Yes

EXAMPLES AND PERTINENT SYMPTOMS, INCLUDING THOSE ALREADY REPORTED? Undergoing medical board

MOOD? Yes

EXAMPLES INCLUDING THOSE ALREADY REPORTED? persistent depression

SCHOOL (IE APPLICABLE)? N.A.

WAS A MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED? NO

Delao, are these part of your fails to meet standards claims? If they are i'd say minimum 50% tdrl... if they aren't just 50% from va with regular evals

Delao, are these part of your fails to meet standards claims? If they are i'd say minimum 50% tdrl... if they aren't just 50% from va with regular evals
It's one of my unfitting condition per MEB.

Then you shall get 50% tdrl. :)

I still in TDRL even I have others condition bump my rating to 90 or 100% ?
Yes, the only way they they will give pdrl is if your condition is stated as stable and need meds for the rest of your life. I know this because that is what happened to me. MH conditions over rule all other failing conditions if unstable.

E3.P6.1. Placement on the TDRL.
Service members shall be placed on the TDRL when they would be qualified for permanent disability retirement but for the fact that the member’s disability is not determined to be of a permanent nature and stable.
E3.P6.1.1. A disability shall be considered unstable when the preponderance of medical evidence establishes that accepted medical principles indicates the severity of the condition will change within the next five years so as to result in an increase or decrease of the disability rating percentage or a finding of fit.
E3.P6.1.2. Except for cases processed under imminent death procedures,members with unstable conditions rated at a minimum of 80 percent and which are not expected to improve to less than an 80% rating, shall be permanently retired.

If you have other "unfitting" conditions rated at 30% or more and stable, it's possible for a PDRL rating.

E3.P6.1.2. Except for cases processed under imminent death procedures,members with unstable conditions rated at a minimum of 80 percent and which are not expected to improve to less than an 80% rating, shall be permanently retired.

If you have other "unfitting" conditions rated at 30% or more and stable, it's possible for a PDRL rating.
Yes, but the likelyhood of anyone getting over 50% PDRL from the DoD MH claim? I haven't heard of it yet other than me... So far I am the only one that I know of that has gotten PDRL on a MH condition recently.