Public Law 97-253

I've tried searching for a answer to my question on Pl 97-253 and have come up empty. So some quick background info, I was found unfit by my on base air national guard medical group for service a couple years back and went through the waiver process to stay in which I was granted and continue to serve till today. I find myself now again at the beginning of the same process for a reevaluation of the original condition plus a new one. My medical group has again found my unfit for service and recommend separation as well as my doctors and commander and this time I agree.

The question I have is I'm about to have my meeting with MPF again where they give me 5 days to acknowledge the findings and chose wether to retire at 18 years or push the paperwork to NGB. If I opt to not have my paper work pushed to NGB and take the early retirement payable at age 60 do I still qualify for the public law that protects technicians when they lose their civilian job due to involuntary military reasons.

I am a technician with the required time in to qualify and would like to skip the NGB process seperate faster so i can move on with my future plans. Thank you for any help provided.

I’m in the same position. I actually have a meeting today about this same situation. I will post all info that I can after the meeting.

My understanding with the meeting I had earlier today. Is if you opt out of the NGB process then you do not get the special provision technician retirement unless you are determined to be unfit by the NGB

My understanding with the meeting I had earlier today. Is if you opt out of the NGB process then you do not get the special provision technician retirement unless you are determined to be unfit by the NGB
Thank you for the reply. That's too bad I had a fellow coworker opt out and he recived it about 7 years ago. However before I posted here I had asked him how it worked and he was under the impression the rules had changed and you had to follow through with NGB like you mention.

I was hoping to avoid a long process even though in the end according to my medical clinic I'll be better off fiancally. The technician retirement would have been enough to give me time to become healthy come off alot of medication and find a new career. Which i was hoping to start sooner than later.

In my opinion. Do not skip the NGB process. If found unfit you leave with your insurance. Blue Cross Blue Shield I assume that is your insurance. Also you will have FERS retirement check. Also you will receive a VA rating.
Take that time that you will be waiting on the NGB and prep for your retirement.
I just signed today for the NGB Route
Pretty much you will enter into the Non-Duty Disability Evaluation System(DES)
What I signed was called Statement Of Selection.