Question about rating a laundry list......

tmsaf

PEB Forum Regular Member
The information on this forum is invaluable and has helped ease my mind immensely, thank you to all for sharing your experiences and information.

I am active duty Air Force, and have been in the military for almost 17 years. I was diagnosed with Graves disease, hyperthyroidism in 2003, went through radiation treatment, and was put on replacement therapy; however, my heartrate never returned to normal. I have tachycardia and my heart rate remains at ~ 130 bpm and has for years. I have been on beta blockers to slow me down for years, and fainted during PT due to the medications battling to lower my heart rate. In the interim, I have had seven assignments during my career, and am a veteran of three wars. Most recently, I deployed to Iraq. Prior to me going, I received the Anthrax vaccine, although many doctors throughout my career said that because I am immune compromised due to my illness, I should never be given it. The PCM and the head of immunology had it out in front of me, and obviously the doc saying nay lost. While I was in Iraq, the exhaustion became extreme. I was under the impression that it was caused by the 96 hour per week work, and tolerated it until I came home assuming it would get better. It didn't. When I saw my PCM a month after my return, he sent me to a cardiologist who found a mitral valve prolapse, tear in my heart. In addition, the fatigue has become extreme to the point that I shake horribly, am nauseous, and I have migraines which were recently diagnosed by a neurologist, and I have sporadic numbness in my hands and feet and general bone pain.

I was coded as 37, awaiting a med board in October 09....since then, I have seen an endocronologist, sleep doctor, cardiologist, and neurologist, and the Life Skills Center who ruled out depression and attributed any anxiety I have to the medical runaround of not knowing what is causing me to be ill. What has come from all of this is that I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Migraines, and a Mitral Valve Prolapse, Tachycardia, and the Hyperthyroidism, possible adrenal fatigue, and a severe vitamin D deficiency with no explanation. LOL, it seems I am falling apart, but I am maintaining a positive attitude.

The overall narrative and submission of the MEB paperwork is at a standstill awaiting a diagnosis.....hmmmm.....my question is will I be rated for ALL of this, or will they rate me including the original prognosis of hyperthryoidism as well as the laundry list of what the other doctors are saying? I am a stellar troop, no arrogance intended and am still receiving 5's on my EPRs in spite of my illness and being put on admin leave/half days by the commander because the more tired I become the sicker I get. I am stubborn and driven to do the best I can even to the detriment of my health, I love my job but am confused about how this rating process works. Any help anyone can provide is appreciated greatly.

tmsaf,
The VA will rate you for everything - probably including things you didn't even think about but your AMVET rep should help you with that. ff you are going to be boarded, talk with your rep ASAP so you can have everything together and submitted as early as possible. The AF will rate you only on those diagnoses that are boardable; I know some of mine I thought would be were only rated by the VA (hyperthyrodisim being one). AFI 44-157 deals with medical boards and may give you some information. I'm sure one of the other folks on here can give you a much clearer answer, so good luck.

Per DoDI 1332.38, the MEB is required to cover all medical conditions. Settle for nothing less.

E3.P1.2.3. Content. MEBs, TDRL physical examinations, and Reserve component physical examinations shall document the full clinical information of all medical conditions the Service member has and state whether each condition is cause for referral into the DES. (See enclosure 4 of this Instruction.) Clinical information shall include a medical history, appropriate physical examination, medical tests and their results, medical and surgical consultations as necessary or indicated, diagnoses, treatment, and prognosis. MEBs shall not state a conclusion of unfitness because of physical disability, assignment of disability percentage rating, or the appropriate disposition under Chapter 61 of 10 U.S.C. (reference (b)).

Also,

E3.P3.4.4. Overall Effect. A member may be determined unfit as a result of the overall effect of two or more impairments even though each of them, standing alone, would not cause the member to be referred into the DES or be found unfit because of physical disability.