Rating and medications

lostwater

Registered Member
Are medications significant in the rating? I have c&p coming up, but I do not take medication. I have been on Zoloft but I felt like it didn't effect me, I was on a high dose and got mad because I was ingesting these chemicals for no reason. I just stopped taking it and had no withdrawal period and they admitted it probably didn't work. From there I was prescribed something else, but when I PCSd, the provider refused to refill it because I wouldn't be under someones care. I felt good for awhile, and didn't take anything. I was prescribed something else that almost immediately made my suicidal ideations stronger. I quit taking them as soon as I realized what was happening. Since then they have suggested something else but I am scared of being chemically altered, like, I don't want to have suicidal ideations like those again. I am pretty good at talking myself out of it.

I am just worried that I wont get a rating because I don't take medication currently.

They do take into account medication use and how frequently you take it.

Are medications significant in the rating? I have c&p coming up, but I do not take medication. I have been on Zoloft but I felt like it didn't effect me, I was on a high dose and got mad because I was ingesting these chemicals for no reason. I just stopped taking it and had no withdrawal period and they admitted it probably didn't work. From there I was prescribed something else, but when I PCSd, the provider refused to refill it because I wouldn't be under someones care. I felt good for awhile, and didn't take anything. I was prescribed something else that almost immediately made my suicidal ideations stronger. I quit taking them as soon as I realized what was happening. Since then they have suggested something else but I am scared of being chemically altered, like, I don't want to have suicidal ideations like those again. I am pretty good at talking myself out of it.

I am just worried that I wont get a rating because I don't take medication currently.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, from my experiences, the use of prescription medications can be a key factor as to the determination of a DoVA disability rating for a Mental Disorder (e.g., 38 CFR VASRD §4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders).

Albeit, the use of prescription medication is not the only factor to determine the occupational and social impairment of a disabled veteran with a mental disorder. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, from my experiences, the use of prescription medications can be a key factor as to the determination of a DoVA disability rating for a Mental Disorder (e.g., 38 CFR VASRD §4.130 Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders).

Albeit, the use of prescription medication is not the only factor to determine the occupational and social impairment of a disabled veteran with a mental disorder. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I've noticed on www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com basically anybody who doesn't take medication can't get above 30% because above 30% all has medication as criteria but I have the sypotoms that align with higher percentage rates.

I feel like if I went to a psychiatrist I could trust I could work on getting medication that works well for me, and could potentially get those symptoms under control. But, my C&P is next week, I wonder if it'll be best to reschedule the C&P after I get on medication or just go with it. I'm thinking out loud here; I'm so lost.

I've noticed on www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com basically anybody who doesn't take medication can't get above 30% because above 30% all has medication as criteria but I have the sypotoms that align with higher percentage rates.

I feel like if I went to a psychiatrist I could trust I could work on getting medication that works well for me, and could potentially get those symptoms under control. But, my C&P is next week, I wonder if it'll be best to reschedule the C&P after I get on medication or just go with it. I'm thinking out loud here; I'm so lost.
Hmm, are you being referred into or currently in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process at this particular point in time? :confused:

Best Wishes!

Just a consideration. If you are prescribed a medication (despite valid reasons not to take it), but you fill that prescription monthly and maybe "fail to take it" or throw it out, it looks like you are taking it. I do not recommend anyone lie, but if the records show you are prescribed a medication for condition X, filling that script every month (looks like you are taking it), it makes the decision harder because you appear to be taking a medication.

I don't recommend the strategy of filling and throwing away your medications. It endangers your well physical and mental being. Being honest with your MH provider is critical to good care. So be honest about the side effects and let your MH care provider be a real provider. There are ALWAYS options in meds and options in therapy.

If you are not getting good MH care, switch providers. Dishonest with your docs endangers your health!