Receiving a Service Dog

Do you think having a Service Dog helps those with PTSD or other trauma?

• Total voters

C Walk

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Let me share this awesome news to everyone. There is a lot of talk going around that receiving a service dog is difficult. This statement is somewhat true. However, I found an organization in the Central Louisiana area that provides fully trained services dogs for free. These dogs are available to Active Duty personnel, veterans and special needs dependants. I applied about one month ago for PTSD and receive my service dog yesterday and I’m still on Active Duty. You will receive everything, the dog’s credentials; vest and the toys and more. The organization is called Brothers and Sisters in Arms Dog Training, Inc. Here is the history of the organization:
“We are a non-profit organization located near Fort Polk, Louisiana. Our organization's primary goal is to improve quality of life for our active duty soldiers, military veterans, and their special-needs dependents by providing them with highly trained Service Dogs.
Phil Ruddock, founder of Brothers and Sisters in Arms Dog Training, INC, is a Desert Storm veteran with PTSD and TBI. His Service Dog, Mia, has helped him regain a sense of normality after many years of suffering from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Since 1991, he has advocated for improved mental health resources and access to trained PTSD Service Dogs for active duty military members, veterans, and first responders. He has worked with several organizations that train Service Dogs, but saw a need in the Fort Polk area and decided to create Brothers And Sisters In Arms Dog Training, INC to fill that need.
Our soldiers have been exposed to many things that make it difficult to adjust to a "normal" life once they return from overseas. Some wounds are visible but others are not. We believe that a trained Service Dog helps our Soldiers transition back to normal life.
We would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service in the industry.
We provide the training of Service Dogs, within the guidelines designated by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), to active duty military members and Veterans suffering from post traumatic stress disorder/syndrome (PTSD/PTSS), and traumatic brain injury (TBI).
We will also help children with autism, epilepsy, and other developmental disorders as well as Firefighters, Police officers and their families.
If you need help and you don't fit into one of these categories, contact us anyway and we will see if we can help.”
You can find more info on their website at www.brotherandsisterptsddogs.org. I hope this organization can help you all as it has helped me.

MissKac

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Awesome! I've been searching the internet high and low for something like this! Did you have to go to Louisiana for training with the dog? Every program I've seen has required pretty extensive training at their location at your own cost.

Jarhead0724

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Depends on where you're at, there are many organizations. I'm an Active Duty Marine in Southern California & am in the process of this same thing with an Organization known as Sherri's Project: Wounded Warrior Pack. They're a non profit organization ran/owned by Veterans as well. They can test your own pet to see if they would be a good candidate or can provide a service dog in training too. I can't wait to start!

C Walk

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Awesome! I've been searching the internet high and low for something like this! Did you have to go to Louisiana for training with the dog? Every program I've seen has required pretty extensive training at their location at your own cost.
I live nearby so I'm scheduled to bring him back to the trainer once a week to see our progress together. The cost is $0, but of course you have to provide your own transportation.

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Veteran
I live nearby so I'm scheduled to bring him back to the trainer once a week to see our progress together. The cost is $0, but of course you have to provide your own transportation.
Dear CWalk:

Thank-you for posting this information about a location in the Louisiana region for service dog trainers.

It is this kind of organization that can do so much good for Veterans who suffer from PTSD.

I wish there was a data base list of service animal trainers and/or providers on the web.

Your posting this info might be a very helpful lead to someone who is within driving distance to this location in Louisiana.

Thanks for posting!

nwlivewire

C Walk

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Dear nwlivewire,

You're welcome! We have to help each other out. One way of helping is to spread and share knowledge to those who are looking for help.

jeremymays92

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I know this thread is a couple years old but I am seeking information about acquiring a service animal. I'm having trouble understanding the process of getting one. How can I find a site that shows locations near my area where I can train for one? Thanks for any help!

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I might add, caring for a service dogs takes some time and energy. I've personally know wounded warriors who received service dogs and loved it and others than could not cope with the responsibilities.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">