Reserve Medical Discharge

Rogo

Registered Member
I'm a reservist with nearly 19 good years of service. I was recently diagnosed with a neurological disorder that I'm afraid will disqualify me from service less than one year from a 20 year retirement. As a traditional reservist, does anyone know if I will get sanctuary, early medical retirement or will the reserves just discharge me with no benefits after 19 years?

Rogo

Sullysull48

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
HRC states:The Sanctuary Program as defined by Title 10 of the United States Code, is a federal program for protecting military service members from being forced to leave military service when they are close to attaining active-duty retirement eligibility.

Any Reserve Soldier (including retired Reserve Soldiers recalled to active duty) on active duty (except for training), who has attained 18 years, but less than 20 years, of active service, may not be involuntarily released from active duty before the Soldier attains 20 years of active service unless the Secretary of the Army or his designee approves the release.

Eligibility:

Must NOT be an AGR or an active duty Retired Recall Soldier
Be a Reserve/National Guard Soldier on active duty (except for training)(can be Retired Reserve Recalled)
Have reached 18 years of Active Federal Service (AFS), but less than 20 years of AFS, as calculated by HRC
May NOT be on AT, ADT, or IADT orders.

Neurological Disorder is broad. See schedule rating for your condition. https://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp

Rogo

Registered Member
It sounds like as a traditional reserve (not on active duty) I have no sanctuary protection and could be summarily released with 19 good years in the reserves.

Sullysull48

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just remember going through the MEB. You get to list all of your conditions. The key is to have documentation and how it is affecting you today.

Let the process play out.

RaiderX

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Rogo, It takes time to get threw the full process. For me its been 18 months total between getting sent to the MEB to waiting on orders. The other consideration at this point is your number of points. 7200 is the magic number to get the active duty retirement.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">